Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Rebuilding a carb, grizzly 600, help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding a carb, grizzly 600, help please

Hey everyone,

2 weekends ago I was riding in a pond and was doing the front wheel float when the 'ol grizzly hit something, went off camber, and rolled completely underwater, causing me to have to swim out in the 40 degree water. Anyway, we got all the water out, and changed the oil a couple times. Now I'm having a problem with the quad running correctly. Alot of the time, when you get above about half throttle and have any load on the motor at all, the motor just cuts out and won't run correct again until you let off the throttle. Basically anything above half throttle doesn't work.

Now, I can tell there is enough fuel going from the tank, through the fuel switch, through the filter and to the carb. The air filter is clean, and pulling air like it's supposed to, and the gas is new and clean, and has had seafoam ran through it.

I think the only thing left that I'm gonna try is to rebuild the carburetor. However, we went to pull it out the other day, and could NOT figure out how to get the choke and throttle cables unhooked from the carb. How the heck do you get them off so I can pull the carb out and rebuild it?

Also, any other suggestions on things to check on why it's not running right? The motor was shut down before the intake got underwater, so there was little if any water taken into the engine while in combustion. I just can't figure it out, it idles fine, then pulls hard up to half throttle then just shuts down until you let off below half throttle.

It's a 2000 Grizzly 600.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like the main jet is clogged. Did you open the carb bowl drain? I dont think you need to rebuild it. Rebuild is using new jets, needle,float etc... It just needs to be cleaned.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the carb bowl drain is the one that's opened by the screw nearest the bottom of the carb, that empties out the very bottom of the carb into a tube, yeah I opened it.

I was going to try cleaning it before I rebuilt it, but I still can't figure out how to get the choke and throttle cables disconnected from it. thanks, -Ben