Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

GPS Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 01:26 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Navigation

I have the Garmin etrex now and I am really happy with it. I am also planning on taking the maps as well to Windrock. I printed a couple off the net and laminated them so they don't get wet. I will also take a extra set of batteries, just in case. The batteries seem to last along time, but Murphy gets you sometimes.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Range Rover
Default GPS Navigation

captainskodiak,
I have a Garmin 76CS, and the expensive Ram mount. I do like the mount, it has never slipped! I was glad to have it when we rode the Paiute Trail in Utah last year. Oh yea, the 76CS is not only waterproof, it floats!!
We ride WindRock alot too! We will be there from, 4/26 - 5/4, celebrating our 26 anniversary! We will be staying at the Windrock Campground in our RV. Hollar back if you want to ride!

Old 04-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Range Rover
Default GPS Navigation

Congrats on the 26th anniversary, that is quite a accomplishment these days. What a better place to celebrate than the Rock. We will be down on the morning of May 2. We hope to arrive around 8-9am, set up camp and do a couple of trails before the next group arrives later in the day. Sounds like the campground will be full. At last count 38 from my town are coming down Wed, Thurs, or Fri. I am sure we will not all ride together, some of us like a little higher degree of difficulty than others. I am sure we will meet up at the campground. Look forward to meeting you all.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default GPS Navigation

take a look at the Garmin Rino units. They have a built in walkie talkie. Eliminates the need to take multiple devices. Also, you can transmit your location to another Rino user and it will pop up on his screen(great for hunting too).

Old 04-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Never make a decision before you have to, always have a Plan B, and don't tell me it's not possible!
Default GPS Navigation

I have the Etrex Legend. It was cheap, small (fits in a pocket easily), and it works great - and you can dowload additional maps, too!

Just got another one (for home) from Bass Pro, on sale for $99 Canadian! (About $85 U.S.)

The are GREAT for finding your way if you decide to blaze trail a bit, and lots of fun for the kids to use for geotracking - gives them a good skill to learn.

I always take spare batteries as well, but I also like CaptainQuint's idea of a map and compass as a backup - hadn't thought of that.