Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Upgrading GPS

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007 | 02:20 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Upgrading GPS

I am going to sell my Magellan 300 for 85 dollars, (pm me if interested) and was thinking of getting the Magellan 500. Im taking heat from the wife as the GPS is only months old, and used twice, and i paid almost 200 for it, but i told her i "need" a color unit[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Anyone have any experience with the magellan 500 explorist?

Old 04-06-2007 | 11:42 PM
Range Rover
Default Upgrading GPS

v2rider,

I don't have any experience with Magellan gps units, but I have a Garmin eTrex color unit and it makes a lot of difference. If you want info on the Magellan 500 go to geocaching.com and get on the forums there. There is a ton of gps info there.

toe

Old 04-07-2007 | 10:54 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Default Upgrading GPS

I would REALLY take a look at the Lowrance H2O C (color) with the R.A.M. mount and SD topo card!!!
I not pushing you to buy it...But before you buy anything else.......Have a look at these please....
There display is larger than the normal G.P.S. ........Did you see one yet?...Caper......

Old 04-07-2007 | 11:00 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Default Upgrading GPS

Also forgot to say the operator buttons are at the front.....Unlike Garmin on the side.........
This makes it easy to use in the R.A.M. mount and push while driving the quad!!!!!...Caper...

Old 04-08-2007 | 01:02 AM
Range Rover
Default Upgrading GPS

I've got two Garmins. I first bought an IQue 3600, GPS/PDA, and because I liked it so well I bought a ETrex Vista C. That one I use on the quads. It mounts easily with the optional ($12) bar mount and although it does exactly what I want and need it for, the screen is too small. If buying now, I'd consider the Lorange like Robert suggested just because it has a larger screen. Most GPS units are pretty unusable while riding just because they are too small to be seen effectively. You have to stop to check. That's okay from time to time, but not all the time. And controls on the front make it more usable when on the move. I also believe the face mounted controls are large enough to be used with a gloved hand too.

Old 04-08-2007 | 09:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default Upgrading GPS

the Garmin 60Csx is pretty much the top of the heap right now. this is taking into account the entire support system like software, memory cards, ect...

the Garmin 76csx is basically the same unit but geared a little more to the water (it floats) and the buttons are above the screen instead of below.

and if you google "gpsinformation" you will get a site with reviews of all the units.

i have a Garmin 276C for a dedicated unit on my brute, but for general all around use, my 60Csx is the better unit by far.

when you get topo software, get the CDs, not the SD cards. that way, you have a back-up copy. if your sd card gets fried, you simply upload the maps from CD to another card and carry on.

monty

Old 04-09-2007 | 11:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default Upgrading GPS

Originally posted by: montyh
the Garmin 60Csx is pretty much the top of the heap right now. this is taking into account the entire support system like software, memory cards, ect...

the Garmin 76csx is basically the same unit but geared a little more to the water (it floats) and the buttons are above the screen instead of below.

and if you google "gpsinformation" you will get a site with reviews of all the units.

i have a Garmin 276C for a dedicated unit on my brute, but for general all around use, my 60Csx is the better unit by far.

when you get topo software, get the CDs, not the SD cards. that way, you have a back-up copy. if your sd card gets fried, you simply upload the maps from CD to another card and carry on.

monty
My friend had a Garmin E-Trex Legend (vista) - it is an ok unit.. I wouldn't buy it though... So I did some searching around and I am currently saving up to buy a Garmin GPSMAP - 60CX - you don't need the CSX not worth the additional $50 - nope...

Old 04-09-2007 | 10:13 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Upgrading GPS

I couldnt resist. I have had nothing but good from Magellan, so i ordered the 500le color GPS. Thanks for the replies!

Old 04-12-2007 | 04:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Upgrading GPS

[/quote]

My friend had a Garmin E-Trex Legend (vista) - it is an ok unit.. I wouldn't buy it though... So I did some searching around and I am currently saving up to buy a Garmin GPSMAP - 60CX - you don't need the CSX not worth the additional $50 - nope...
I have the Garmin 60CS.. Totally love it.. I am thinking of selling it thou. It is in nice shape. Has a little dust on it in the cracks from being on a quad. Just have to spray it off under the sink. Yeah they are waterproof.

I am looking at getting a Rino 530. The Rino has the same guts as the 60cs but it also has a 14 mile GMRS radio. A few guys I ride with have the radios also andI would like one..

I have the DC power cord and TOPO's for the gps also. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] ALl the instruction manuals and box for it.. Only thing I cant find is the Mapsource cd. Its around here somewhere as well as it can be downloaded from garmin website. If i sell it i will load up the TOPO for any area the buyer wants it for.

The 60CS has been a great GPS. I went with Garmin because the software is prevelant for it. It has bailed my butt out once or twice. IT works really well. THe features are easy to use..

I NEVER NEVER leave on a ride without it. Kinda like MasterCard.. Dont leave home without it...

Old 04-13-2007 | 04:18 AM
Trailblazer
Default Upgrading GPS

The only reason I wish I had waited for the 60CSX is for the magnetic compass which will give you a bearing while standing still. I've got the CX with the canadian topo map pack. You're looking at about 700 bones for the whole package.

Quick Reply: Upgrading GPS