Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Best ATV Reputation

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best ATV Reputation

That's the thing. I dont really care what features come on this atv. I just dont want to have to service it every other month like my 2 Yamahas. First, I want to find out who is very reliable (Honda) and then I'll start looking. Most midsize atv's have the same features with the exception of the electric shifting on the Hondas. A feature I dont really care for.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been hering good things about susukis ..but i dunno ive never ridden one?

Old 04-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

I've got to go with Suzuki, have the 700 know and love it. I dislike POlaris for a lot of reasons. I used to be into Honda, but no front locker, not needed all the time but if you are on the verge of getting stuck it will help. (Rincon) Kawi, no efi, Polaris too heavy,just like Artic Cat(but suzuki builds all but one engine for them) Yamaha, my son has a Grizzly 125, hate the brakes, but verdict still out on the 450 and the 700 nothing real bad yet.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Tippmann98
.......I dont really care what features come on this atv......
You just answered your own question. Get a 5 speed manual shift Honda. Either 350 Rancher, 420 Rancher, or 500 Foreman. The 350 and 500 have been out long enough for all bugs to be exorcised.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

features aside, look at suzuki and honda for reliability. if you buy a honda make sure that it has disk brakes, I think some of the new one use them now, my freinds forman 450 has had nothing but brake problems. and dont get an electric shift model.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:58 AM
Trailblazer

Go with honda those things are bullit proof. A friend of mine bought a used I think 1987 4trx 250,It looks rough and you can tell it has had a hard life. Had the carb rebuilt and it starts and runs like a new one.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one has mentioned Arctic Cat, the 400 FIS would make a good mid range reliable quad.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

artic cat does use suzuki engines and the manual tranny models i believe use suzuki drive trains.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Tippmann98
Out of all the main 4wheeler manufacturers who has the best reputation? I've had 2 different Yamahas and have had trouble with both of them. I've got a Polaris but dont really like the plastic racks on it or the slow acceleration. I'll probably be looking to buy another mid size utility atv in the near future and was wondering what you guys thought. I'm thinking about giving Honda a try. Maybe even Kawasaki or Suzuki. Can-Am is a no go because there are no dealers nearby. What do you guys suggest? I know a lot of people "ride red" but can good things be said about Kawasaki and Suzuki too?
All depends on what you are looking for and what type of riding you do. My preference is a 400 Arctic Cat with FIS and Auto. You get a really good bang for your bucks. If you can give up some articulation and want a sportier ride then the 400 Suzuki Eiger would be a good choice.

I ride with a variety of people that own just about everything you can imagine. When it comes right down to the nitty gritty it is pretty hard to beat a stock AC without doing a lot of mods. A race machine - NO, but for utility, work and articulation, and they do ride very good - YES.

Go figure, AC has 12 inches of clearance, 10 inches of wheel travel on each wheel, usable low end power, very durable and tough, simple, and basically maintenance free. Smooth ride, very articulate in the rough. And yes a 400 will do 50mph, 500, 650 etc are faster obviously. And if you like to play in the mud then it is darn hard to beat a Cat. And if you are going to pull heavy stuff then again it is very hard to beat a Cat.

I can tell you from experience on flat dirt roads some other machines will wait for you, but as soon as you get off the flat dirt roads you will be waiting for them to catch up. I don't know too many ATV owners that ride flat dirt roads all the time (heck you can do that in your car/pickup.). And in the rough you will be less fatigued with an AC too, you don't have to dodge everything - you have the clearance to just straddle most stuff and the small to medium bumps the 10 inches of travel will just smooth the trail right out.

Well that is my 0.02 cents worth...

Old 04-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have to give another vote to Arctic Cat. Its hard to beat the Speedrack, ground clearance, 4x4 system with difflock, and 2" reciever

Quick Reply: Best ATV Reputation