Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

What ATV absorbs pot holes,rocks,logs, the best

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What ATV absorbs pot holes,rocks,logs, the best

I have a 700 Grizz and my dad has a sp800. The 800 is like a cadillac and rides better than the grizz. The grizz is sportier. If you want the most comfortable ride, I'd recommend a sportsman. If you want the best handling, then the Grizzly with power steering is the way to go. I personally wouldn't buy a Rincon just cause of the tranny and no diff lock.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Whats wrong with the tranny of the rincon?

Old 05-30-2007, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

The Polaris SP800 does ride smooth. Part of the reason is it is almost 200 pounds heavier than the Grizzly 700. Some people like the extra weight and some do not. When I test rode the SP 800, it felt more like it was driving me than me driving it. The SP800 is still a great bike with it's own strong points, but I wanted something a little more nimble.

The best thing is to get some seat time on each one and pick what suits you best. Good luck, toy shopping is always fun.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Never make a decision before you have to, always have a Plan B, and don't tell me it's not possible!

I got the Bombardier Outlander 400 Max XT, because the reviews rated it best in terms of ride over the rough stuff. And the ride for the passenger of this 2-up bike is just unbelieveably soft, so I would give it a try.

See the ATV mags over the past few years for serious comparisons.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:30 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks everyone for your reply, you have been very very helpful. This weekened I will be test driving a Polaris Sportsman, 2007 Honda Rincon and next week the all new 2007 700 Yamaha Grizzly. Most of you have said that the Polaris Sportsman has the smoothest ride, I will check it out and see. Alot of my friends have stated to stay away from Polaris there is always something breaking on them.

Maybe I should wait until next year. Do you think that Honda will come out with a new power steering Honda Rincon ????

Thanks for your help very much appreciated.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

For a smooth ride over pot-holes, small bumps (1"-2"), tree roots across the trail etc you need heavy weight, stiff, strong frame and soft, long travel suspension. AC may not be the smoothest ride in general but over pot-holes and small bumps it is pretty hard to beat, you will be able to travel over these very quickly without it shaking your teeth out of your head, and an added plus is, you will maintain a straight line.

The AC's are heavy and have a long travel, and soft suspension and they track good over erratic ground. From the factory they lack on handling but with some adjustments to suspension and tire pressures that can be improved greatly. With a small investment of wheel spacers the benefits are monumental. A cheap fix to be able to run with the best of them in the corners (tire pressures (preferably with 6ply tires too), preloads, and wheel spacers), and without having to use a sway bar.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: btremont

Thanks everyone for your reply, you have been very very helpful. This weekened I will be test driving a Polaris Sportsman, 2007 Honda Rincon and next week the all new 2007 700 Yamaha Grizzly. Most of you have said that the Polaris Sportsman has the smoothest ride, I will check it out and see. Alot of my friends have stated to stay away from Polaris there is always something breaking on them.

Maybe I should wait until next year. Do you think that Honda will come out with a new power steering Honda Rincon ????

Thanks for your help very much appreciated.</end quote></div>

Most people who talk about Polaris always breaking down don't even own one. I still wouldn't have a Rincon. They don't have a diff lock and in my opinion, they have the wrong tranny. If they would put the continuously variable Hondamatic from the Rubicon in it, it would be much better machine because in my book, CVT &gt; automotive style for an ATV.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

I have to agree with FormulaLT1. This is actually a good thread filled with some honest responses. Hard to find on questions like these. I would compare the Sportsman to GM. You may recall, there was a point in time where Chevy really screwed up with their paint. And a great many of the trucks you saw had paint flaking off in huge chunks. Back in the 80s I would say.

Well, that was a long time ago. And obviously, not relevant to todays GM. But there are people out there that this had a lasting impression on and they rant on about it to this day. Gets to a point where the person really doesn't know what they are talking about as Chevy trucks are now some of the most if not the most powerful out there. I'm a Dodge man BTW. Then you get other people who repeat pretty much anything they hear too as their own. We all know it's true. I call them old hens.

Same is true with Polaris. They might have had a period where they screwed up. I didn't experience it myself. But admit it is possible. But it was a long time ago and I don't know anybody who isn't happy with their purchase. ATVs are a mighty personal choice. If you pick one you like, you did the right thing.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

You can take the same machine and drive it over a trail one day and it will feel smooth the next day it won't, you can ride it at 10mph and it will feel bumpy but at 20 it feels smooth.
To have a good ride you need a heavy machine, soft suspension and long wheel travel, and if you have a long wheel base that helps too. By the same principle you will suffer in the handling department.
A heavy Cadilac, with soft springs and long wheel travel and long wheel base is certainly not going to handle as good as a Camaro.
Go find the heaviest ATV with the softest suspension and you will be right on the money.
And if that doesn't work then shop around and put some progressive springs on it. And if that doesn't work then drive your car.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

how come these threads always turn into a bash fest? I didn't see any questions about transmission, or people's opinion about which one is better. And a locker is the most overrated feature available today.

You didn't mention handling at speed, so I'll stick to the ride. The smoothest riding machines are going to have the longest wheel bases (the 2ups). There are 3 companies that make one, ride them, study them, talk to the service manager of a dealership that sell more than one (or all 3) of the brands. Some brands have a 90% ownership satisfaction rating while others have less. I won't say anything about and brand's reliability other than companies have the reputation they have for a reason and you do not have to own a machine to see it break. All 3 2ups have their good and bad points (that goes for the 3 one-ups you've listed), what is most important to you? One thing you won't have to decide on is they all have the single lever brakes and belt drives.

Quick Reply: What ATV absorbs pot holes,rocks,logs, the best