Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Utility side-by-side questions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utility side-by-side questions?

Hey everyone,
I'm in the market for a side-by-side and I've been looking at the Polaris Ranger 500 4x4. I will most likely be buying new and I will be using it for established trail riding and also snowplowing a 225 foot gravel driveway in the winter.
Does anyone know if Polaris is going to come out with any new upgrades for 2008? Any different size engines?
I have tried to do as much research as possible and search this forum but I can't seem to find much information.
I know that some of the other side by sides are comparable. I'm also looking at the Yamaha a rhino. I know that these two manufacturers are similar and most will be personal preference but can anyone recommend one over the other?

Thank you for any information or opinions you might have.
Casey

Old 07-03-2007, 03:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are plowing snow in winter, forget the Rhino. Polaris has a hard cab with heater available for the Ranger, Yamaha has nothing for the Rhino. You can assemble a cab, doors, windshield, and heater for the Rhino, but they may 'leak' warmth since they aren't designed to work together as a unit.

And who knows how the added weight of the cab will affect the Rhino handling and braking. Keep in mind the Rhino only has 3 brakes, 2 in front; and 1 on the rear drive shaft. With that setup, stopping could be an issue; as well as snow clogging the caliper.

The Ranger has 4 wheel disc brakes like a car, with the parking brake on the driveshaft.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

Lame speculation on the braking if you ask me. I have a full race cage, rear bumper, front bumper, long arm suspension, bead lock wheels, doors, and a fuel cell in my Rhino, and it is over 1500 lbs. with all of that. The brakes are plenty strong with a lot more weight added than just a cab and plow blade would add. Brakes aren't the problem.

For snow plowing either UTV would work. Get the Polaris if you want, I'm sure it will work fine.

DV

Old 07-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

It might be worth waiting to see what yamaha comes out with for the rhino on the 2008 model... Speculation is a 700 engine, power steering and 4 disc breaks... That's all hearsay right now... but it still might be worth waiting for...

Also, there is a ton of aftermarket cab accessories for the rhino... From everything I've read, more companies make aftermarket parts for the rhino than any other side by side....

here's a link for a "hard cab" for the rhino.... http://www.4atvtires.com/atvTi...hp?id=5665&cat_id=708

sounds like someone is kinda bias towards the rhino if ya ask me... I couldn't care what you get... but I'd go do some homework first.... google is your friend... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-04-2007, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

He can get a Polaris if he wants. I didn't think I was being all that biased, its just that I thought it was odd to use the brakes as a decision point between the two brands. Its like saying Ford makes better trucks than Chevy because the brakes are better. Truth is, the brakes on both are perfectly fine, and there are countless other differences that he could spend his time thinking about. What about the seats for example? There is quite a difference between the slab bench on the Polaris, and the bucket seats on the Rhino or Prowler. For trail riding that might be worth a look. Or what about the engine power, or maintenance schedules (valve adjustment)?

Old 07-10-2007, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

lol... not you DV... I was refering to HL... You're responses always seem fair and informative in my book...

Old 07-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

i recommend the Arctic Cat Prowler. In 08 they have an XTX model with a 700 EFI H1 engine that will do 55 which is comparable to the Ranger RZR. below is a link to my website that has a magazine article comparing the Ranger Rhino and Prowler as recreational based vehicles and the Prowler wins followed by the Rhino and finally the Ranger. I will also link to my site that has info on the 2008 Prowlers for you. The accessories are endless including heated cap either soft or hard enclosure and many many more.

UTV Shootout Article

Arctic Cat Prowler

**note that the article was printed before the 08 models were out and they have fixed most of the bugs that are stated in the article.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:44 AM
Pro Rider

Well if you are going to be in the UTV a lot I would reccomend the Rhino. It has foam padded bucket seats, the cab might be a little cooler in the winter, but just wear an extra coat. It also feel like it has a lot more power than the 500, but I'm talking about the 660.

just my 2cents

Old 08-11-2007, 01:38 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HeftyLefty

If you are plowing snow in winter, forget the Rhino. Polaris has a hard cab with heater available for the Ranger, Yamaha has nothing for the Rhino. You can assemble a cab, doors, windshield, and heater for the Rhino, but they may 'leak' warmth since they aren't designed to work together as a unit.

And who knows how the added weight of the cab will affect the Rhino handling and braking. Keep in mind the Rhino only has 3 brakes, 2 in front; and 1 on the rear drive shaft. With that setup, stopping could be an issue; as well as snow clogging the caliper.

The Ranger has 4 wheel disc brakes like a car, with the parking brake on the driveshaft.</end quote></div>

Wrong!!!!! Check out Rhinogear. Full cab (pricey) and a heater (Awesome!!!!). Plowing with either will be fine. If you go with the Ranger, check out Ranger Ware. Same company as Rhinogear but for the Ranger. Good luck...by the way....After testing both, I picked the Rhino for the comfortable seats and smaller size (the Ranger would not fit through the access point for the trails near my house). Good luck!

Old 08-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the good info. After going out and looking at each one and comparing all the specs, I have decided that the rhino is exactly what I'm looking for.
Has anyone heard any updates if any information is out on the 2008 models?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Utility side-by-side questions?