Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Who can help me.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2000, 03:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To start out with i know just a little bit on every quad. Well my problem is i am going to buy a used quad. My choices range from an 98 arctic cat 4x4 to honda fourtrax to Yamaha Warriers. I know just about every thing about these quads except acutally riding them. My friend has a 1998 Honda Fourtrax and i love it. It is very durable and strong. It can go any where and it is only 2wd. It hauls two people no problem so i think this is a pretty good quad. But i have heard alot about Actic Cats. Especially the new 2001 AC 300 4x4. I think the arctic Cat that i have to choose from is a 300 and is about a 97 or an 98. are the old Arctic Cats just about like the new one. I also heard about the Wolverine but i heard that if you try to ride two people they get tippy. SO what is my best bet. I love that fourtrax and i have flipped it many time resulting in only very minor damages. How do the 4x4 honda's relate, are they basicly the same as normal ones. SO...i like going mudding and trail ridding. I almost always ride double. Light jumping. Which quad is for me. thanks...

Old 01-02-2001, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

The Honda 300 is reliable, but slow, and doesn't have as good a suspension as the others.

The A/C 300 seems reliable, has better suspension, a higher top speed, and with 3 ranges, a gear for everything. It also has selectable 2wd to 4wd - a nice feature.

The Honda will have a better resale value, but will cost more when you buy it (if you buy used).

I don't know enough about the Yamaha to have an opinion either way, other than they seem pretty well built.

I don't know if this helps, but I did what I could.

Old 01-05-2001, 06:20 PM
Range Rover

Have you considered a Polaris Sportsman 500 or 335? They have excellent suspensions, a large seat for passengers, and excellent resale value!
The Wolverine is ok, but is small for 2 people and rides a bit stiff. Cant help with the Arctic Cat. My friend has had a lot of engine problems with his Wolverine. Actually, two of my friends have had engine trouble(oil flow to top end, timing chain).

1999 Polaris Magnum 500 4x4, front bumper, horn, spider tracs, 12" 8-spoke wheels, reverse light, fender bags, rear cargo box, AM/FM cassette stereo, blue headlight bulb, winch, hand guards, hand warmers, coolant temp gauge, lift kit.

Old 01-08-2001, 07:19 PM
Range Rover

I have owned a Honda 4x4 300 and I think it is a great machine and dont know why honda stopped making it .

I would never waste my money on a useless Artic Cat and I Know for a fact that it is slower than the honda . The suspension is only beter if you drive over big rocks , it is horrible on jumps . The engine doesnt have the power of the honda and if you plan to do much mudding dont pick the Artic Cat because you need more power to get the wheel speed you need to get through it .
so basicly if you have alot of money to waste and dont like proformance buy the Artic Cat .
If you want a machine that is reliable , powerful , faster than an AC and will be worth more than the AC when you go to sell it the honda is for you .

Old 01-09-2001, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

vernl,

i have an ac 500 4x4 auto and like it very much. i purchased it for work first and for play second because it is a utility atv. they are not very fast (58 mph gps measured) and they are not designed for jumping. if you want that, get a yamaha raptor or polaris scrambler or something. plus, hauling a passenger around is begging disaster for i have seen too many people get hurt doing that.

texascat

Old 01-09-2001, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

well my opinion the arctic cat 300 4x4 is the best model arctic cat makes.it has a 2wd/4wd select,independent front and rear suspinsion that is not only good for better tracktion going over rocks but also in mud becouse you will always have one wheel on the ground plus it will give you much smoother ride than a honda as for it not haveing enough power to spin the wheels it has a proven 280cc suzuki engine and a transmission that has a hi/low/super low im sure in super low this quad will have plenty of power to spin the wheels also by adjusting the linkage going to the front differential you can get true 4wd with all four wheels pulling.the 2001 arctic cat is rated to tow 950 pounds the new honda rancher is only rated to tow 850.In my opinion this is the best 300cc quad you can get

Old 01-10-2001, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

why would i get the arctic cat instead of the suzuki 250 well the cat 300 has a bigger engine than the suzuki 250,the suzuki has a 246cc engine the cat 300 is 280cc and there are some other things that may not matter much to you but the cat has a bigger fuel tank it will hold 4.8 gal. and the cat has a better frame