Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Wolverine 450?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 12:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine 450?

I've always ridden sport quads, Quadzilla, Banshee, Warrior, last quad was a V force. All the guys I work with have pure utility quads and I'm considering buying on to go one camping trips overnight and such. I've never really ridden a quad with four wheel drive, or locking diffs in the front but I'm familiar with the concept from lots of jeeping. I know a Jeep will get around 10 times better off road with locking diffs, is that true for quads? I'm not planning on running through huge mud bogs but I don't want to be getting hung up or stuck on rutty hill climbs and such. What are your experiences with 4 wheel drives without locking front diffs? I'm not looking to buy a can am or scrambler or any of those I'm simply wondering how the wolverine would work? I know this is the utility forum but it seemed like a better place to ask the question.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider
Default Wolverine 450?

You can shift your weight on a quad, whereas you cant with a Jeep. And even if you could shift your weight with a Jeep it wouldn't matter because your weight would be such a small percentage of the total weight.

I've got a Jeep with lockers, and a Grizzly with lockers. The lockers make a difference for sure, but they make a much bigger difference with the Jeep than with the quad.

I think the biggest difference you're going to notice when going from a V-force to a Wolverine is a lack of power, not the difference in traction. Be sure and test drive the Wolverine before you buy it. A Grizzly 660 might be worth considering as well.

DesertViper

Old 08-04-2007, 01:56 AM
Trailblazer
Default Wolverine 450?

Yeah I just did some searching around the net and realized the top speed is like 50mph. I'm trying to be cheap, I don't really want to spend over $6000 or so if I can help it. I'm already pre-approved for yammie and I really like thier stuff. I'm thinking maybe I should look at the Grizzly 450 and Grizzly 350 IRS and see how I like those. I thought the Wolverine would be nice cause I could still ride some trails with some of my friends who have bikes but 50mph probably won't cut it. It sounds like I will just stick with utility at this point. Next tax season is when I'm going to by another full on sport quad. Any thoughts on the smaller grizzly's? I'll definately shop around if I can find a 660 for under $6700 out the door I'm in business.

Old 08-04-2007, 03:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default Wolverine 450?

If you can possibly get an model with a locker then get it. I've found that a locker drastically helps in all sorts of situations and I can simply get to more places and get places much easier and safer with a locker.

You should be able to get a brand new 700 Grizzly out the door for not a whole lot north of your 6000 mark and you'll be more than happy with it and you won't have any regrets.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default Wolverine 450?

There is nothing wrong with the Wolverine 450. It isn't overwhelmingly powerful, but it's got a little spunk once it gets moving. Think the certificate of origin has it at 28hp. The only time it will feel under powered, is if you do a lot of open fast trails, i.e. dirt roads etc. I got one for the girlfriend, but was thinking about it for myself originally. The power isn't the problem I have with it. The problem I have is it's awfully bouncy over bumpy rocky terrain. It's a little nose heavy too. Very tough though, and it feels so compact, maneuvering through extremely tight technical trails is actually fun. The lack of locking differential probably won't be a problem unless you're always riding in the most extreme circumstances. The ground clearance is pretty good, and since it's a straight axle in the rear, you don't lose the ground clearance at all from the suspension being compressed. It's pretty stiff by the way. The rear shaft uses up a small amount of clearance and is actually pretty decent. It's not the plushest riding four wheeler at all by any means. I think a better set of rear tires that absorb shock better will help that though. The power is adequate for trail riding, as long as you don't spend alot of time in wide open places. I brought a brand new one in March this year for 5300. I'm sure you should be able to find a 07 left over now and get a similar deal somewhere. If you need more power consider a 650 Brute Force straight axle. You could probably get that as a left over 07 for about 5900. Much larger buggy though, heavier too.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wolverine 450?

The wolverine is pretty good, I added a clutch kit, exhaust, filter and jet kit and the thing gets up pretty good, I wouldnt want a whole lot more speed out of it except when I am riding between my house and the dirt roads about 2 miles away on the highway. After I get on the dirt roads about 45 is as fast as I can get before I have to slow down for a curve. I can slide the wolvy like a sport quad and with the racks that I added I can carry some stuff as well. I only paid 5250 for my wolvy brand new OTD. I have only gotten the wolvy stuck enough that I had to get off the seat one time(high centered on a rock in about 2ft of water) I have went through water over the handle bars, ridden through really rocky creekbeds, up steep banks and over fallen trees. I love this thing more all the time. I added all of the factory skid plates to help protect