Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

The Ultimate box or bag........

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Ultimate box or bag........

What features do you want or what haven't you seen that you need? Big... little...just throw in an idea or two!! Have some fun with this one!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

In soft bags, ones of a modular design with extra compartments that you can choose to remove are more versatile. I also like to see some sort of external compression strap or some other way to carry wet rain gear or other items that you don't want in the bag with your clothing and gear.

As far as weaknesses in soft bags, zipperless is the only way to go. Other than zippers that clog with dust, the other problem that crops up with some soft bags is that the straps aren't attached to the bag very well. Some have the nylon strapping sewn all the way across the bottom of the bag, but I still think some metal rivets might be in order. I've also wondered how a soft bag with a rigid base might work...

I wonder if the strap buckle could be designed to pop free if it gets pulled too hard, to prevent damage if the strap gets snagged on a tree? Kind of like how the plastic push pins on some ATV fenders are designed to pop out to prevent the fender from getting torn up...

Right now I run a zipperless bag on the back, and I keep a Tusk winch accessory kit on the front. The winch pack is really nice, with a couple of tree savers, clevis, ****** block and gloves, and room for an extra tow strap and clevis. Everything is organized in little pockets, and the straps wrap across the top of the bag and keep everything tight. If I were looking for a front bag, it would be nice if it had a module designed to hold winch accessories like that.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

Just a quick thing for right now is stronger straps, webbing, and hardware especially the straps and hardware that secure the bags to the rack.

Also cheaping out on things like the thread used for stitching and the actual quality of the stitching itself can sabotage an otherwise good bag design and something that manufacturers don't always pay close enough attention to. Yeah that is a cool camo pattern and innovative design is all well and good but when the stitching is for crap and the thread is popping and rotting because it is substandard it hardly matters.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:32 AM
Range Rover

I would like to see a water proof, soft pack that can use the Polaris quick lock system, instead of straps, that would not break the bank.