Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

2006 Rubicon or Honda Foreman Fm

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Rubicon or Honda Foreman Fm

I am looking to buy a Honda ATV and would like to know if anyone can tell me if the 2006 Honda Foreman 500 M (foot shift) is more dependable then the 2006 Rubicon. I will be taking this ATV to Costa Rica and repair shops or anyone that can work on a Honda can not be found in that country. I have been told that the 2006 Rubicon have had trouble with the auto tranny and also elctrical problems. Please tell me what unit is more bullet proof and can get the most miles with NO problems. I want to pick the one that will last!!

Old 11-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

I think the Foreman will not only last longer but it's a much simpler design thus less parts. I also think you'll be happier with it. I had a Rubicon (for three months) and was disappointed with the power of that auto tranny. Now I'm just guessing but I'm assuming mud will be an issue in Cost Rica and that's where the Foreman will shine.
Hope this helps.
Buck

Old 11-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. What do you think about the air cooled Foreman engine compared to the water cooled engine. I understand in very hot temps like Costa Rica the air cooled engine will have a problem styaing at the correct temp. and when going slow in mud or even in park the engine may overheat in this 100 deg. region. The water cooled engine keepa solid temp. on the engine thus making the engine last longer.

Why did the Rubicon have less speed then the foreman es or s? I can get a foreman for the same price as a Rubicon. 75% of time will be spent on dirt roads and hillsides. This is why I was thinking the Rubicon was the way to go. But as I said before I can not afford the unit to have problems beause of no good Honda support in Costa Rica.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

The Rubicon was as fast, I just had trouble in the mud. As far as the heat goes, you'd be better to speak to someone who owns a Foreman in the south. They do not seem to have problems in PA in the summer, however I'm sure we don't reach Costa Rica temps...and not for as long. The Foreman isn't as complicated as the Rubicon, that is why I recommended the Foreman.
Buck

Old 11-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've had my Foreman out on 100+ degree days, and I've never had the temp light come on. I think Honda is pretty conservative when it comes to engineering, and I suspect they included plenty of cooling fin area, the fan, and the oil cooler.

There was one thread a while back about a guy who was using a Foreman to pull a harrow or some other farm tool, and he had problems with it overheating. I don't know if he ever deteremined if there was a problem with that individual machine, or what.

Anyway, you don't really read much about Foremans overheating. On some years of Rubicons, installing a manual over-ride switch for the cooling fan was a popular option.

Anyway, if all you are going to do is run around on trails and dirt roads, I doubt you will have problems with either machine.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks SBuck. i do think the Foreman is more simple design.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

JeffinTD

I think both will do a great job and yes the foreman is more bullet proof but as I am worried about the tranny or electrical having problem in Costa Rica but I think with justing riding the hills and ruff dirt roads I think the rubicon could be my pick. It is a little more power and the auto is a nice feature. As far as the mud and ofer abuse I think I will do very little of that. I have now found two brand new 2006 unit ( Rubicon and Foreman) that are the same price, $5400. I think I am leaning to the Rubicon. I just hope this thing holds up and can take a little hard use.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

K... maybe I'm the only one that's thought of this.... What companys do have good support in Costa Rica? yamaha? kawasaki? Maybe you should go with one of those if they have support for them...

Between the rubicon and foreman... keep in mind that the 2007 foremans have power steering available... (why honda only put it on the foremans is again a "honda mystery", just like their lack of diff-lock.)

Old 11-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

i am of the opinion that simpler is better. tried and true is also better. I would go with the foreman. they sell 10 to 1 over the rubicon so if you do need parts, you would have a much better chance of finding them. If your worried about cooling, just change the oil cooler to a larger one and as was mentioned earlier, modify the fan so that you control when it comes on.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:32 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Why did the Rubicon have less speed then the foreman es or s? </end quote></div>

I think its the other way. The Foreman has a 475cc motor the Rubicon is a 499cc.

Quick Reply: 2006 Rubicon or Honda Foreman Fm