Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

So you wanna buy a winch!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So you wanna buy a winch!

OK so you decide to buy an xtreme winch. You order it and they take your $$$, You gety the winch and spend several hours installing it. 46 days later you use it for the first time and it self destructs. You find out it is not all metal like it says, the housing is PLASTIC! It is full of plastic bushings. It is destroyed. No worries- you have a 5 month warranty. You go to www.xtremewinch.com, click on SERVICE & get a "comming soon" msg. You go back to "xtreme recovery" that sold you the thing on Ebay. THERE'S NO WAY TO CONTACT THEM. NO PHONE #, NO ADDRESS, NOTHING!!!.
What do you do? It's been too long to stop payment on your credit card. So you contact Pay-Pal, you have protection there- right? WRONG! They only protect you for 45 days!!! Out of courtesy, Pay-pal gets xtreme recovery to contact you. You tell them you want to send your winch backfor SERVICE. NO such thing! The best they will do is sell you replacement parts & you can try to fix it yourself. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??. They are rude & make sure to let you know how freakin stupid you are for not checking out the warranty! or lack of... So what parts do you need, 1, NEW HOUSING(PLASTIC) 2. NEW GEARS (STRIPPED) 3. NEW PLASTIC BUSHINGS (TWO) 4. NEW SPOOL ( POT METAL SPLIT)

Yeah right. More than the piece of sh.. cost! Plus all you'd have is a rebuilt piece of sh..!

If you don't believe me, try going to ww.xtremewinch.com & look for any warranty or service info. THERE'S NO CONTACT INFO!

For God's sake man- Save your $$$$. Buy from someone else.
( as of the date of this posting there is still no warranty or contact info at xtremewinch or xtreme recovery. I expect these postings are revealing their scam & they may change the web site soon, be careful0 don;t get ripped off(

Old 01-15-2008, 09:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

That's too bad.

At like $70 for a 2500 I'm not too surprised to hear that it didn't hold together.

I've had good luck with Warn, though you pay for them.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

warn has been out for a long time and to me and others has been proven. i will always buy warn!

Old 01-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, I run Warn on both of mine too, but I can see the temptation of a $70 winch if it works at all...

As far as RanMan's goes, I don't think I'd spend the money to replace the parts.

I presume the best possible outcome would be ending up with the winch just as good as new- and when it was new it broke the first time he needed it.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

You get what you pay for, as they say. I am sorry to hear of this horror story for you, but I have to believe you saw this coming. 70 bucks or so for a winch? I have paid nearly that much for a good tow strap. I bought a Warn XT25 and paid $315 for it. In my opinion that is still darn cheap for what a winch can do. I thought for a second of trying to save some cash and buy a Gorilla winch, but quickly came to my senses. Buy once and cry once I say. Warn has the market on winches, for any application.....

Brent

Old 01-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've only use Warn so I can't comment on other brands. Because I've never been let down, I'll continue to purchase WARN winches only....

Sorry for your bad luck, but $70 bucks.......hmmm it can't be a good deal

Old 01-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Brent,
You are certainly right, I did kind of see this coming, but I figured hey- I got a 6 month warranty- right?---------WRONG--- NO WARRANTY AT ALL!!

Man, I hate getting ripped off.

Hope this helps the next poor sucker.
RanMan 68

Old 01-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well, thanks for posting about it. Like you said it might help the next guy know what he'd be getting.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Trailblazer

WOW, that stinks! Sorry to hear about your experience. Hope things work out for you. Thanks for posting your experience with this winch.

I decided to try a viper winch, and can say it has met all of my expectations up to this point. I looked at the extreme and like you could not contact the company so I passed on them.

I feel for you.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Trailblazer

I bought a Champion winch at Costco for $75 plus tax and it worked good when I used it and if it doesn't within a year I return it.

Quick Reply: So you wanna buy a winch!