Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Is a pull behind finish mower a good idea or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2001, 10:09 PM
AJM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad thinks getting a pull behind finish mower is a great idea. I told him if he get one he will be mowing the yard. I need to know if this is a good idea and some tips/advice about mowing with one and buying one.
Thanks!!

Old 01-15-2001, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

There is lot of info on this here in the archives. Try a search on several forums and you'll find more advice than you can read. But I'll offer a few quick items.

Most everyone is happy with these things. Just remember its not going to work like a riding mower. It takes a lot more space to turn it and you may tear up the lawn a bit -- especially if you have a 4-wheel drive quad.

Whatever you buy, make sure the hitch fits and lines up well. You can spend a lot of time trying to fit something that's starts out "close" to correct.

One other item, an ATV does not have a continuous speed throttle -- i.e. you can't set the speed and leave it alone while you drive. It takes some practice to hold a nice steady rate especially if you have hills. Not a big obstacle, but most people are surprised at the attention required to do an even job.

You might consider the cost/benefit of just getting a riding mower. You can get a pretty decent tractor style riding mower in the same price range as some really good pull-behinds.

Old 01-15-2001, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

After buying an 11 acre homestead last fall, I wrestled with the same decision. What finally made my decision was a test mow on an ExMark Lazer ZTR with a 23 hp kohler & a 60" deck. The first time out on it, I mowed about 2 1/2 acreas in just about 1 hour. I told the demo guy to go back to the shop empty as the Lazer was going to stay there. $7500.00 was a lot of $ to spend on a lawn mower but what is every Saturday during the summer spent mowing 6-8 hours per day worth??? Just think how much time I can spend playing on my Cat now that I can get my mowing done before the dew drys Sat. morning!!!!

Manuverability & speed are the two things that are most important to me while mowing, pull behind mowers offer neither of these. jmho

Lance