Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

08 AC H1 650 vs. 08 Sportsman 800

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008 | 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 08 AC H1 650 vs. 08 Sportsman 800

Love the racks on the AC machines. I bought Grizzly, but the additional rack space on the AC's would be very nice. I must agree, the Polaris Sportsman has the worst rack system out there. Plastic racks are just a bad idea. Their rack system is pure junk. Overall a good quad, but bad racks, the 4x4 system is a joke, no diff lock, and too heavy. The AC suffers from being to heavy also in my opinion. Between the two, I'd pick the AC every time, however.

Brent

Old 04-21-2008 | 08:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I like the plastic racks over the metal ones for a couple of reasons. One the plastic ones dont hert you hind quarters if you ride the occasional doubble. Two we all crash our quads don't think it matters if the rack shatters or bends you are goint to replace it and the plastic ones are cheeper than the metal ones.

One more thing the Polaris has twice the storage and accessories of any other quad which is a plus!

Old 04-21-2008 | 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

The plastic racks are very tuff! You can stand on them. At least they won't rust up in a year or two like the metal racks do.
I'm just curious what a Grizz 700 loaded up like a Polaris would weigh?? Bet it would be close.

Old 04-21-2008 | 09:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Grizz dry weighs 600 pounds if I remember correctly. I don't recall SP weights, but believe even the 500 SP weighs considerably more than the 700 Grizzly. The 800 SP is a real porker. The SP flat out starts heavier by a long shot, so what is your point? What do you mean loaded up? If you start heavier, you can't win.

Brent

Old 04-21-2008 | 10:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

I like the plastic racks over the metal ones for a couple of reasons. One the plastic ones dont hert you hind quarters if you ride the occasional doubble. Two we all crash our quads don't think it matters if the rack shatters or bends you are goint to replace it and the plastic ones are cheeper than the metal ones.

One more thing the Polaris has twice the storage and accessories of any other quad which is a plus!</end quote></div>

Speak for yourself. I have yet to crash a quad. And the racks on the AC are RARE to break in a wreck. They are steel racks, almost unbreakable.

Old 04-22-2008 | 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Brent13

The Grizz dry weighs 600 pounds if I remember correctly. I don't recall SP weights, but believe even the 500 SP weighs considerably more than the 700 Grizzly. The 800 SP is a real porker. The SP flat out starts heavier by a long shot, so what is your point? What do you mean loaded up? If you start heavier, you can't win.

Brent</end quote></div>

Depends on what you want to win!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eDK49i2hPc

I couldn't find the vid of the Polaris 500 draggin the Griz. but this shows the lighter weight CanAm 500 ddraggin the Griz. this shows which will tow haul and plow best!

Old 04-22-2008 | 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

V2rider, it's too bad you're so bias. You don't seem like a stupid person normally but, to say the AWD system on the polaris is crap shows some real stupidity. The polaris also has speed lock system on their racks plus all the storage. I'm sure if it was the other way around you would say AC is better because of the rack system and YES your racks are steel and ANY scratch that they get WILL rust......no thanks. Hey, I got an idea..........why doesn't somebody ask what this guy is going to want this quad for? They're both an excellent combination work and play quads. If you're looking for the absolute best ride then no doubt it's the polaris. If you ever plan on riding double then no question it's the polaris with the nice flat back rack that blends perfectly into the seat. I know a lot of people on here like the AC's that they own but, so do the people that own po po's. Looking at both quads the polaris just has more and better features.

Old 04-22-2008 | 06:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Was that not just a bias statement you made in the end? That is your opinion, not a fact. All of the comments of anything being better are opinions. The only facts are what I listed. 2" reciever, Ground clearance, differential locker, skid plates come on all AC ATVs standard, and speed rack. I think AC has the better features is my opinion.

Old 04-22-2008 | 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Come on Rick! All that video proves is who hooks up first, nothing else. Who has the best tires for that surface usually wins. I have a diesel truck and watch other diesel owner idiots drag eachother around. Whoever gets the traction first wins every time. That is a fun video to watch, but doesn't prove a thing. If the Grizzly had pulled the Can-Am the other direction I would not have used it to belittle the Can-Am. It just doesn't prove much at all. You can do better than that.

I am saying you can't win against the Grizzly in a weight comparison equally loaded. The Polaris is already heavier when they both are in stock trim. If you think a heavier quad is an advantage, than that is your opinion and so be it. I am saying a lighter quad is an advantage while riding and working. As far as power to weight ratio goes, it is a no brainer.

Brent

Old 04-22-2008 | 06:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did some quick research. That SP 500 comes in at 731 pounds dry. The Grizzly 700 is 600 pounds dry. That polaris is a pig! My wife weighs in at 135. That is a pretty incredible weight difference and a whole lot of weight to muscle around on the trail. They have always been known to be very heavy ATV's. More power and a whole lot less weight gives the Grizzly an edge, in my opinion.

Now let me bash the Grizzly so I don't come off biased. The lack of a handlebar mounted light and instrument pod blows. The durable bedliner like material on the racks is not even close to durable. The racks are of quality steel, but too smal in my opinion. The stock tires are not great, but decent. Those are my only gripes about my Grizzly.

Quick Reply: 08 AC H1 650 vs. 08 Sportsman 800