Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

good torque atv

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good torque atv

i want to get a really torqey atv without havin to mess with stuff
what is one that has alot of torque?

Old 06-21-2008, 12:03 AM
Range Rover
Default good torque atv

I might just be partial but Arctic cat is known for their Low End, 3 weekends ago I pulled a ford F150 with a 16' dual axle cargo trailer (empty) 30 yards through the mud in the pouring rain(truck was assisting). My bike is only a TRV 400cc, and AC is as far as I know a industry leader with their new 1000cc series of bikes. If my 400 can due what I put my mine through I can't wait to see what the 1000 can due! But every rider will be partial to their own brand of bike, my suggestion would be that as your thread gets larger ask folks what their different situations have been with their brand of bike and some of the things they have done.

Good Luck

-J

Old 06-21-2008, 03:26 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default good torque atv

If you just want torque without the ability to tow heavy loads, then you might want a 650-700cc sport quad, Thundercat, or Renegade 800. The rated towing capacity on 3 different Polaris ATVs is over a ton. A Thundercat is is only rated to tow 50% as much as them, so if you want to tow what one Polaris ATV can, you need two Thundercats. Search for "heavy trailer" on the Polaris forum to see what they can do. Nothing I've ever seen is rated to tow as much as Polaris. Even my 500 has a 175 pound higher towing capacity than the Thundercat.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:50 AM
Range Rover
Default good torque atv

What any quad will tow has everything to do w/ the weight of the machine and not the torque or power of it! I mean come on i have had a 3500lb bass boat behind my ac 500m, yeah i had plenty of power, but couldn't stop all that well. I think that the polaris has a higher tow capacity because it weighs a good bit more than any other quad hence has the ability to stop a heavier load. In a case like that the extra weight is nice but there are some cases where the extra weight would be against you. Any quad out there 500cc and up and probably a few 400cc quads w/ low range are going to have a good supply of torque and make a good quad if taken care of!!

Old 06-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Range Rover
Default good torque atv

Check this out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ZOjyDreMk

Old 06-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default good torque atv

As far as Hondas go, if you are talking about dragging, towing and plowing I'd say the Rubicon is the best in their line-up in that role.

It's hydrostatic transmission is well suited to low speed, high torque kind of tasks.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Moto Psycho
Default good torque atv

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: tancat500

Check this out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ZOjyDreMk</end quote></div>

So a quad can pull a truck down a slight grade, when the truck is running and may be helping out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] That doesn't prove anything about torque. Some ATVs can do a wheelie just by hitting the gas, and not shifting your weight or pulling on the bars. <u>Those</u> have lots of torque. A lot more than I need. More power than I need too.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Moto Psycho
Default good torque atv

Hondas are notorious for their low horsepower. A Honda 680 barely has any more power than a Polaris 500 EFI.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Range Rover
Default good torque atv

I hear what your sayin frank, but i was just talking about the tow capacity and that i think polaris has a higher tow capacity for reasons other than torque..

Old 06-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Moto Psycho
Default good torque atv

I think the beefy frames is one of the main reasons for the high towing capacity on Polaris. They build the frames extra sturdy because they can. Anything imported from Japan like my friends' Grizzlys will have a lot higher import taxes on it if it's much more than 600 pounds. I think the limit is 606 pounds dry weight before they put it into another category. Since Polaris is made here they don't have to pay any weight penalty, so they make the frames extra heavy duty, use bigger heavier tires, etc. There are some things Polaris can do that others can't. It's not just my opinion, or a brand preference. It's all in the numbers, and numbers don't lie. Go to any manufacturers website and read what they are rated for.

I don't know why Arctic Cat has such a low towing capacity. They could be beefed up too. I guess they just chose lighter weight over towing ability. To me a utility ATV has to have <u>a lot of utility</u>, in the same way other people don't want a sport atv that isn't sporty enough. I believe the rated towing capacity is a good indicator of what the utes can do on a regular basis, not just one time. It takes more than just torque, or horsepower, or traction, to tow heavy loads. Polaris seems to have balanced out the whole package.

One of the guys in the Polaris forum took his Sportsman 500 and 800 to an ATV pull and won both classes by a LONG way. They had to make the track longer just for him. TWICE. The second day he let his son ride the 500 and they both won. He wasn't sure he even wanted to enter the competition, then took home all the gold medals. Everyone had their ideas and opinions beforehand, but when it's all said and done, the facts stand. If you want to read it for yourself check out, "Stock Sportsman 07 800 - How would it do in a Pull?" http://forums.atvconnection.co...t%20do%20in%20a%20pull

Quick Reply: good torque atv