Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Ultimate Auto-Utility

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-1999, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From a mechanics standpoint on the disc verses drum brake issue. I glanced back through my shop records and found that the most common brake job that I perform has been on Honda 300 4x4s with Drum brakes take into consideration that there are more of these 4 wheeler here than the other makes and it makes sense but when I ratio it The brake work evens out pretty well. We have only one riding condition here,MUD it eats up brakes and I have Never seen a drum setup that has been able to keep all of it out. The disk seem to wear better in the muddy conditions especially the Willwood equiped new model Polaris machines with the slotted self cleaning rotors. One great thing about the disk are the fact that they don,t have to be adjusted. I can say the most common thing I do a lot here is it seems I am constantly adjusting someones drum brakes all the time. These guys around here don,t want to learn to adjust their brakes they rather just run it by here and let me do it . I try to teach them but to no avail. Guess I should be thankful for the work. Another thing I can tell you is that *when you run out of brakes with a drum setup or they get way out of adjustment you litterally have NO BRAKES *I have seen the tragic results of this happening on Honda machines when the owners did not have the brakes repaired. They went out and their kids jumped on the quads and ended up rolling out into the highway and were hit by oncoming cars one was killed the other was horribly injured but lived to ride again needless to say they keep good brakes on their Quad now. When you wear out Disc pads you get a really bad metal to metal grind but I have never seen the brakes fail to stop with worn out pads matter of fact they tend to be a little more grabby when they get hot. Another point for the disc is how easy they are to change I know the Polaris setup I can change the brakes on both fronts in around 15 minutes. Drums, Better have a little more time. I,ve not had a chance to change a Cats yet but I imagine its just as simple. Both have good points and disadvantages. But pound for pound I,ll personally take the disc brakes .

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

[This message has been edited by Kagey (edited 09-18-1999).]

Old 09-20-1999, 09:38 AM
Range Rover

I agree with Kagey here.

Disc brakes weigh less than drums. They're less complicated when it's time to change the pads/shoes.

I had a Yamaha Blaster which has drums on the front and a disc in the back. I was constantly adjusting the front brakes and never touched the rears. When I went through water, the drums took longer to dry-out than the disc.

On a utility machine, where weight is not a concern, if you don't mind adjusting the brakes, the drums should be fine.

------------------
Kevin Staton

<a href="www.korrnet.org/watvclub">Windrock ATV Club</a>

Old 09-20-1999, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer

shame shame shame the guys question was on which new quad should he get not a long winded discusion on brakes i say wait for your 2001 grizzly

Mike

------------------
99 Grizzly , Vamped & Liffed

Ride safe today,because to ride again tomorrow is Righteous!!!!

Old 09-20-1999, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

Must confess after I wrote that long winded post I stopped and asked myself "wait a minute what was the original question". Almost went back and deleted that essay I wrote.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 09-21-1999, 11:15 AM
Trailblazer

Guys,

Thanks for bringing the discussion back in line with my original question, however one of the things I did ask people to comment on was reliability and maintenance. If drum brakes are ok, then fine, but if the fill with water, mud, and sand, then NOT ok. I am a big advocate of minimum user maintenance. I am looking for a ATV that I can use like a tool, hence a utility machine. I get it out, use it, clean it up a little and put it away. Ultimately I want an ATV that is like a hammer. I don't baby my hammer, I don't clean it with a Q-tip, I don't lube 20 grease zerks or anything else for my hammer. I use it, clean it up, and put it away.

I am going to look at the Suzuki QuadMaster this week, the dealer said he just got two in. The Arctic Cat dealer indicated he may have an Auto-500 in by end of the month. My guess is they won't really want to many people test driving them as they are on limited availability right now. Kind of like when the Grizzly was first released, don't test ride it, because then we would have to clean the dust off of it.

If Yamaha expects people (like myself) to wait around for a liquid cooled big bore they had better let someone know if it is coming, before we all switch over to the competition. I would hate to hold out for a hopefully liquid cooled 2001 Grizzly just to find out they not going that direction.

Thanks Allen L. Grooms
98 Grizzly 1200 Utility Miles

Old 09-22-1999, 09:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't mean to clog up the thread with something off topic, but I have a question for Kagey.I am in the market for a new quad.At first, I wanted a Scrambler.But this weekend, I rode a Honda 450ES and I enjoyed the relaxed, layed back riding I could do. I didn't have to ride the hell out of it to make it up small creek banks, I could just sit back and enjoy the ride. But, I don't want a 3-wheel drive Honda and I don't want the independent rear Sportsman, So that leaves the Magnum 500. I was wondering how you liked yours.Comfortable? Powerful? Good in all terrain? And how about any problems? Any information you or any other Magnum owners have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jarrod Holland

Old 09-22-1999, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

Jarrod; I have been very impressed with the Magnum 500 so far . I have had absolutly NO problems with it ,it has been a great performer. I was the first in the group I ride with to get one. Soon after I got it two other members traded for the Magnum (one traded a sportsman the other a 3004x4Honda)both have really enjoyed their Magnums , Another is talking about buying one after this past weekend when he rode one of theirs, The ride is great it is better than any other quad I have ever been on besides the sportsman(which I really have no desire for to complex a design for me) Look through the Polaris forum you will notice that there are no complaints against the Magnum line 325,or 500. If polaris made all of their Quads as well as the magnums appear to be I believe the reliability issues would not exist. The design is great strong and durable. Really like the EBS works very well worth the money in saved brake pads have 1200 miles on mine now and still have over 50% brake pads. I could go on and on but I ramble to much anyway Post for opinions on the Polaris Forum above and see what kind of response you get there are several other owners in the Forum disscusion who would likely be glad to share opinions on the Magnum 500. I really like mine I use it on the farm as well as for pleasure and I have stuck it only once(see "worst stuck")on the Polaris Forum) I put Goodyear muddrunners on it and really made it a better all around machine ,less steering effort better ride and a more durable tire than the stock tires.

[This message has been edited by Kagey (edited 09-22-1999).]

Old 09-22-1999, 11:18 PM
Trailblazer

Several months ago, I was trying to decide between the same models you have listed, except w/o the auto tranny on the Suzuki and the Arctic Cat. I like all those machines and really don't think you could go wrong with any of them. I finally decided on an Arctic Cat 500 (manual tranny), mainly because the dealer support was so much better than any of the other models in my area. If we had a GOOD Polaris Dealer in my area, I probably would have chosen the new 500 Magnum. However, I have been very pleased with my AC 500 and would recommend it to anyone....BUT each to his own. It has torque out the wazoo and the ride is very comfortable. I liked the Grizz, but really wanted water cooling...just a personal preference.

Anyway...Good Luck!

Old 09-23-1999, 01:38 PM
Trailblazer

Allen, I can't help you with any information because the only atv I've ever owned is a Polaris Sportsman, and it only has 80 miles on it. So far no problems, but with only 80 miles on it I would hope not. The real reason I replyed to your post is that I notice you live in Burlington, and that's where I live.

Old 10-10-1999, 12:47 AM
Trailblazer

Although this is kinda off topic, I'll post it anyway.

Okay, so my name is DreamofPolaris and I want a Magnum or Sportsman 500 bad enough to do almost anything. But, if by the time I scrounge up the money to get one, someone else makes a quad that I think is better for me, I'll buy that one. In short, I have no brand bias (except that I hate Fords, but thats not for this forum).

I went to the Dealer today to take a look at new quads. If I do get one it'll be used, but any quad is more fun than no quad. It was nice to see the new ones though.

The Grizzly and Magnum 500 were parked next to each other and looking at the Grizzly, it's just way too damn big for trail use. Way too wide!! I like the large engine, but it's just too big for me.

I think the Magnum is a nicer machine too. The Grizzly looks very macho, but I like the Magnum myself. Reasons definitely include the composite racks and liquid cooling system.

All the quads mentioned are nice and all are useful. Test ride all of them and see which one you like the best. Buy the one that's best for you, not everyone else on here.

------------------

Quick Reply: Ultimate Auto-Utility