Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Opinions on a utility ATV

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-1999, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Say hi to the newbie Sorry, but this post will be rather long-winded. Essentially, I am just looking for opinons (good and bad) from people who have used an ATV in the manner I am hoping to do.

I am looking for a utility ATV for snow plowing or snow blowing, grading my driveway and mowing my lawn. I live in northern Minnesota, have a 250 to 300 yard driveway and a 3 acre front lawn.

ATV's under consideration (no particular order): Polaris Magnum 500, Polaris Diesel (if I can find one), Yamaha Grizzly, Polaris 6x6, Arctic Cat 500. Additional suggestions welcome.

I realize I probably won't find a perfect machine to do all this... just want to find one that is close

Questions I have: Does anyone besides Polaris make a snowblower unit for an ATV? (I would prefer a blower due to the length of my driveway). Is a blower overkill? Currently, the driveway is plowed via truck.

However, I am tired of spending $600/year getting crushed concrete hauled in every spring because it was plowed into my yard the previous winter. Will a 60 inch plow do a "good" job or am I going to feel like I am trying to move an iceberg with a 14 ft Lund?

Are there any pros/cons to using a front mount mower vs. offset? (I have another rider mower to be used in tighter areas)

I appreciate any input or thoughts from those who are experienced. BTW... I am not completely stupid to motorized equipment. I use to race motocross (Go Big Green ) and snowmobiles (TX-L)

Thanks all

Eric

Old 11-08-1999, 08:57 PM
Trailblazer

Now everyone don't try to stomp all over me for this!

Ever consider a Max? They're probably the most utility-oriented ATV available, and while you don't require it for its amphibious capabilities, think about how deep the snow gets where you live and the advantages become obvious.

Any of the ATVs you mentioned would do a fine job. I can't comment on the snow plowing because we don't get really deep snow in Illinois.

If I were looking at your choices, the Polaris 6x6 seems like the best choice, especially because tracks are an option for the deep snow. Although everyone may say that a 4x4 is enough, I'd be skeptical for the kind of snow you get in MN.

Make your choice wisely, as you seem to need it more than most of us.

------------------
Want a Magnum or Sportsman 500!!!

Old 11-08-1999, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

Thank you DreamOfPolaris, you are right. Eroc, go to my site (www.homestead.com/maxatvs) and under "new stuff" click "The Ulitmate Snow Machine" This is a friend's picture of his new snow equipment. It is a Max II with 60" snow blade and convertible top. With the top, the engine will heat the cab just like a heater in a truck and you don't have to plow snow in the cold!

Also, take a look at the new Y2K Max. They have new square headlights that give them a great new look. The Max has also gained speed, now up to 30mph.

I really think the Max would be the best vehicle for you.

MaxRules

Old 11-09-1999, 01:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Max 6x6, I swear to god if Ed McMahon ever comes knocking on my door, I will buy a MAX.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 11-10-1999, 02:00 PM
Range Rover

Andy,

True but that is not all I would be buying.

------------------
Eric Baatz 1996 Suzuki KING QUAD Remember the KING Lives!!

Old 11-10-1999, 04:36 PM
Rod
Trailblazer

Greetings,

I think I responded to your question in another forum, but I didn't see it, so in any case, I'll just offer a condensed version here.

I looked at the front mount mowers and -- while it would be great to see where you're mowing (especially in a field of seedlings) -- I thought the control arm reaching back was a sure candidate for early retirement. I can't speak from experience, but I can just see it being ripped off by a limb or some mishap in the garage.

My other thought is to suggest you check out a flail mower. They operate by spinning chains (with T shaped ends) around a single axle. They are simple machines that are much lighter, shorter, and more manuverable than a deck-type mower -- and they chop even the tallest grass into very fine clippings. Alamo Industries in Texas sells a few non-industrial sized models -- they have a good web site and their people were helpful. I'll bet you could even pull one with a Max.

Thanks,

Rod [450ES ...and its yellow]

Old 11-14-1999, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

Wrong,Wrong,Wrong,
Think about how a maxx 6x6 turns just like a army tank therefor it would literally shred this dudes lawn,also who cares what it will do in the snow and what it will go through the guy did say he wanted it for home use anything other than a maxx would be more than fine unless all the snow in the world is going to fall on his driveway only.A nieghbor of mine owns a maxx and I'll say yes they go anywhere but they make a mess doing it,just turning the thing on his driveway leaves the biggest mess of black tire smears that are still there from a year ago.For what little use this guys machine needs to do one sugesstion go and buy the least expensive smallest engine 4x4 out there (perhaps a timberwolf,or explorer)and use the rest of the money to pay the next door kid to do the work for you!Anything will mow and plow just fine!!!!

Old 11-14-1999, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

xplorer - You kinda have the right idea but you are wrong. When I first got my Max home I drove it in the yard and shreaded the grass just a bit on my turns. I was unexperienced at the time. Now that I know how to drive the machine I can drive it all over the yard without making a mark.

Not just any machine will plow snow. You have to have lots of power to the wheels and traction. Once you go to dozing that snow it starts piliing up and gets really heavy. The machine has to have enough power to push it and enough traction to make the power useful. Max will plow more snow than any quad.

MaxRules (and you know it)

Old 11-14-1999, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah Maxx please teach me about snow!!Please I lived in Flagstaff Arizona (that's where the snow bowl is)so your thoughts on plowing are that of inexperiance first off who plows snow at 50mph no one who plows snow past 2nd gear?no one!A 250 thru 350 is more common plowing the safeways and kmarts around here than any other quad.I've seen 250's pull in 1st and 2nd gear stuff much more harsh than a pile of snow.And another thing any experianced 4 wheeler out there nows that is your maxx is true 6 wheel drive than this could not possibly be the best atv for snow.Because posi taction on slippery surfaces leaves no wheels to anchor to avoid say sliding down a mountain sideways Limited slip is far superior in this aspect(AND THERE IS NO DENING IT!!)ask and 4x4 shop in your town.Not motorcycle shop truck shop.Motorcycle shops usually dont know there *** from a hole in the ground when it comes to real world riding the merely read mags and relay the hype.So maxx this is not ment to show you up,alot of what you say is true however I am in the snow alot and this is truth.

Old 11-15-1999, 07:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all your replys. All of you have provided me great information.

Regarding the 6x6, probably not the item for me. Don't get me wrong max6x6, I am sure it would do better in the snow than the quad. I am also sure that my wife and /or me would tear the crap out our lawn with it as well I have also ruled out the Polaris 6x6 because of its obviously larger turning radius and the inability to attach the snowblower. If I did more hauling, I would like the dump box

I am really leaning towards a Magnum 500 from Polaris. Only because the snowblower Polaris produces is a 2 stage blower powered by a 12 hp B&S. I haven't seen anything else offered by other manufactures that would be comparable. I would also opt for a blade when the snowfall amount doesn't justify the use of a blower. Besides, the blower uses the same front attachment as a blade. If Yamaha made such an outfit (or thrid party company), I would probably opt for a Grizzly.

Because I am leaning on getting the blower, I would think power is less of a concern than if I limited myself to just a blade. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Eric

Quick Reply: Opinions on a utility ATV