Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

2-up ATV owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-up ATV owners

Hello to all. I want to ask your opinion about your likes/dislikes and advantages/disadvantages of your 2-up machine. I am asking this as a general question and it is not meant to be a brand/make discussion. This has to do with your choice to buy a 2-up atv over one designed for a single rider. With that said, I do understand that there are specific features certain manufacturers may offer that could have solidified your decision to finally make the purchase, so I'd like to hear about that if it applies. I just would prefer to stay out of a brand vs. brand discussion.

What do you like about your 2-up machine?

What do you dislike about your 2-up machine?

Compare your thoughts: 2-up vs. single rider?

Would you buy it again?

Etc.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

It'll give you more quality time with your significant other if they would rather not ride there own machine.
2-ups are gaining in popularity so manufacturers are producing more so you have options.

I hunt and work with my ATV so naturally prefer riding solo.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I like the 2-up machine as there is more room for both riders. My wife didn't want to actually drive one so it made the decision easier. It is much more stable going up and down hills due to the longer wheelbase. The only disadvantage to the 2-up machines is in very tight and twisty trails. I've only been on 2 that required me to back up and rethink my approach. These were extreme trails. The breakover angle is not quite as good as a single rider machine. Again, it's only on an extreme trail where this is any kind of issue and it has never stopped me. I would buy another 2-up machine in a heartbeat if I had the money. Very nice ride over the whoops that a single rider machine goes further down into. I specifically bought the Polaris Sporstman X2 for the convertible dump box/passenger seat. Very useful. It also has great onboard storage with the front under rack bin and the 6 gallon tank gives me great riding range.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

We just got 2 2-up ATV's. One for me and one for my wife. We also have 2 kids so having 2 2-up machines will give us opportunity to go out as a family. Also if we have adults friends visiting we can put 2 adults on each ATV.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lone

What do you like about your 2-up machine? Bigger with more room and legal 2 up riding

what do you dislike about your 2-up machine? Nada

compare your thoughts: 2-up vs. Single rider? Better on the steep stuff than single seater, my x2 has turf mode and turns sharper than most others, room to haul stuff

would you buy it again? Sure

etc.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:37 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

Got a 2-up so the GF could go along on my riding adventures in Utah...she doesn't have the physical strength to ride her own for long trips, so being a passenger is the only real option for her to get to see things. I like the comfort and stability of the longer and wider 2-up, but my IRS 650 TRV certainly doesn't handle like my SRA 500 Vinson.

I would love to see the Arctic Cat MudPro 1000 be converted to a 2-up with power steering...wow, what a ride that would be

Old 11-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Trailblazer

I don't mud and after riding singles and 2-up's in Moab and other places I know I will not buy single even if I would ride alone all the time.

Each of their own and one likes single and one likes 2-up long wheelbase. Each serves their own purpose and you need to ride both to find one you like.

Trending Topics

Old 11-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

I agree. I wasn't planning on buying a 2-up ATV at all. I planned on buying an additional ATV so my wife could join me and our sons occasionally. But I ran across a 2010 touring model at a dealer and my wife actually thought it was a good idea to take a look. We rode it and loved it... super smooth. In fact, she said that if we sold our 2004, we could get a 2-up and not have to look for a new trailer, etc. She only wanted to join us every now and then, so a 2-up actually made a lot of sense in retrospect. So that's what we did and how I ended up with a new 2-up. On our first ride she was able to keep an eye on our son behind us, take pictures, etc. from her perch behind me on the rear seat while I focused straight ahead. We had alot of fun riding together while being able to hold a conversation and have some laughs. She was also a good navigator, spotting a stump in the trail that had been pretty well concealed by some short brush.

I did notice a difference in the ride quality too - the 2-up was smoother and stable... barely noticeable having a rider in back. This fact I really like and appreciate.

So... there you go. Those are the things that I like about my 2-up so far. I just had more fun on the ride for all the reasons already stated.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Glad to hear you got one and are having fun. I don't often have a passenger but it's no problem with a 2-up. I even got to take a friend for a ride who's never been on a quad. A bunch of families were renting cabins together and she had come up with her two daughters. She asked, so we went for a long ride on a railtrail up the road from where we were all staying. On the southernmost part of the ride a small black bear ran out in front of us and down the hill across the trail. Very rare. She was psyched.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
....On the southernmost part of the ride a small black bear ran out in front of us and down the hill across the trail. Very rare. She was psyched.
Well then, she got bang for the buck and ride for the life time one of those memories we never forget.

Anyways, my wife rides with me as she doesn't want to ride herself and most of the time it's just me alone and friends with their own machines.

If nothing else, at least parks allow the real 2-up to have passenger and singles with passenger seat on rear rack is no go.

Quick Reply: 2-up ATV owners