Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Plow for Traxter

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in buying a plow for my Traxter. Any input from you guys would be great! Pro & Cons of each plow, winch, electric, manual? etc etc. If any one has some suppliers in mind that I can take a look at. I am in MN, so in the end I would prefer to buy something that I don't have to pay to have shipped. Also I would consider installing the unit myself,....how easy is it to install these?

Old 08-07-2001, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

Grabs-
First off, if you don't want to order and have shipped to you, check with your dealer-he should be able to order a few different brands. Most of the dealers around here stock a few plows year round, kind of for display, so I'm sure your's must have access to them as well-esspecially with all the snow you get back there.

I'd recommend the Moose brand plow-they are very tough units, built strong, a little heavier than the others to keep the plow down on the ground better. Now days, nearly everybody makes a plow of some kind-Cycle Country, then several of the atv manufacturers, such as AC, Polaris, Yammy, etc. I've seen mostly Cycle Country and Moose, I give a slight edge to the Moose brand personally, though others have had great luck with all the others as well.

As far as mounting goes, there are just a couple brackets that mount to your frame up under the quad by the footboards. Push tubes hook into those for mounting/dismounting of the plow. Yes, you can do it very easily by yourself, you won't have to have the dealer install anything-unless you need a winch that is, and don't feel comfortable installing that. As far as mounting the plow, piece of cake.

The winch lift works great, very easy to use, only drawback is you'll end up wearing your first couple feet of cable, needing to either shorten the cable or replace it each season or every other season. A simple way to fix this is to just add a small section of cable just for your winching of the plow during season, then remove it for all other times of the year. The hand lift is nice, but sometimes gets to be a bear to use-quite heavy at times when snow is caked on. I don't know how the new EZ-lift thing works, haven't seen anybody with one yet.

Go to www.hi-per.com-do a search for "snowplows", they carry both Cycle Country and Moose, will give you good pictures of each one and each style and size they carry. Also, if you do have to order in, last I knew, they were the cheapest.

Best of Luck,

Mike

Old 08-07-2001, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Cowboy.........I will take a look at the sight and see what they have to offer. Yes my dealer can get me one, but I wanted to do some shopping around and compare.

Old 08-07-2001, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

While you're at it, you might look at www.cabelas.com-they offer a different style of plow under the "atv" section. Rocky Mountain ATV does as well-I think. I'd give you the main "moose" home page address, but can't seem to remember it, and it's not listed in the '01 catalog.

About the dealer-sorry about that-I have a good relationship with my dealer, so he gives me good deals on everything I buy. I tend to forget at times that most others don't have that luxury, and end up paying full retail at the dealership. Sorry for the assumption there-he does save me quite a bit of money.

Best of Luck again,

Mike

Old 08-23-2001, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

hey there,

My father has a Traxter XT and has a 50inch plow for it and it handles it fine, the traxter's are so heavy that as a work bike they are number 1.
I would stay with the metal ones, they have plastic ones out now but I don't think they will last.
How do you like your traxter, how many miles do you have on it. Is it a good machine.

Old 08-30-2001, 11:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yam8, thanks for the message. Yeah I think the plow might have to wait for a year or so,....things are getting even tighter and the gas prices are getting even high! When I do go for it, it will be metal and at least 50", might spring for the 60" cause I know the Traxter can handle it.

I only have 160 miles on mine, not quite a year old yet. I like it, and it seems to be dependable enough and strong enough to suit my needs.