Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Plow Reinforcement

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2000, 03:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 48" Polaris plow on my 99Mag 500. I have a plow now that is cresent shaped. Both ends are pushed backward. It is used to plow sidewalks and driveways around my street and I travel no faster then 5-8 MPH. I've tried straight on plowing and with the blade at a angle, both with the same result. BENDING Has anyone "beefed" up their plow because of the same type of problem? How did you do it? Please this is frustrating. Thanx

Old 02-15-2000, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

Wow, what's that thing made of...tin? Haven't heard of a blade bending like that before. I have a 50" Moose, and it's STOUT! You might try bolting or welding a couple of strips of heavy angle iron along it's length. Worth a try anyway. Otherwise, I would suggest buying a heavier setup.

Old 02-15-2000, 01:37 PM
cj7
Weekend Warrior

Same thing happened to me when I hit part of the curb and gutter that stuck out an inch - bent the right-bottom corner of the plow. My plow came on my Honda TRX-250 when I bought it and it looks like a pretty generic model. I hate to bend it back for fear it'll be even weaker. I'm just leaving it for now.

Old 02-18-2000, 01:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

robbiec, had the same problem on a 48" warn blade. took the flimsie cutting edge off and threw it away. went to a local scrap steel supplier and bought a 48" long piece of cold rolled flat stock 4" wide and 3/8 in thick. $15.00 plus tax. struck a line down the middle(at the 2" mark)and clamped my old edge to it for a jig to bore the holes in the new blade. (should have a drill press and sharp bit for this) with holes at the middle i can flip the blade when one edge wears out. the added width, thickness and weight were all pluses for me. it really strengthened up the plow and the weight helps the blade cut cleaner too. so far its workin great. had to run in the street for about 2 miles to wear in the cutting edge tho. have hit a couple of sidewalk cracks now with no bending.

Old 02-18-2000, 01:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

robbiec, had the same problem on a 48" warn blade. took the flimsie cutting edge off and threw it away. went to a local scrap steel supplier and bought a 48" long piece of cold rolled flat stock 4" wide and 3/8 in thick. $15.00 plus tax. struck a line down the middle(at the 2" mark)and clamped my old edge to it for a jig to bore the holes in the new blade. (should have a drill press and sharp bit for this) with holes at the middle i can flip the blade when one edge wears out. the added width, thickness and weight were all pluses for me. it really strengthened up the plow and the weight helps the blade cut cleaner too. so far its workin great. had to run in the street for about 2 miles to wear in the cutting edge tho. have hit a couple of sidewalk cracks now with no bending.

Old 02-19-2000, 02:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanx QUADMASTER, I should have thought of something like that. I do have a press and bits.
Sounds like I know what I'm doin' Monday night now Thank you. Robb

Old 02-19-2000, 07:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also use the 48" Polaris plow, I didn't have any problems that I know of with the plow bending, but I will have to take as closer look. I think the frame might be bent slightly, or it might just be the floor isn't level. I don't have to worry about hitting curbs, and I get the speed over 10 at times, when I am not going over old snow, and I jam the brakes like 3 feet before the snow bank.