Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

New to utility ATV's......

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a used Forman 450s, pretty quick, not fast, but very reliable. Slap on some decent rubber and a Warn 424 kit and you'll have a nice reliable bike, for less than you'd spend on a new one.

Old 10-04-2002, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer

3atv must really like the P650 to make a statement like that. I luv my Sportsman, but I noticed you are not interested in Polaris. I would test drive all the brands you are interested in. Decide what feature you will need in your daily riding. I would however recommend a IRS over a straight axel. The IRS system bike have the best ride bar none! Ride one and you will see. Opinions vary, but for the most part all the brands have good ute's just with different features.

Old 10-04-2002, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, you should look at a sportsman. I already have too much competition, so a sportsman would make it easier on me.

Old 10-05-2002, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

If you really hunt around you may be able to get a leftover Quadrunner 500 for around 5K. It ain't fancy like the Vinson but it is a true reliable ute, with considerable power, like a little tractor on steroids. It a has 4W/2W selector. If you are looking for reliablity alone go with the QR500 or a Honda Rubicon. If you choose one of the more technically advanced quads(like the grizzly, Prairie660, Rincon, or Vinson) you'll get more top end speed, more power and the latest features. But the tradeoff on the fancier models is that they all have their bugs that have been getting worked out, which is only natural because they all are breaking ground with new features. It really comes down to what your needs are. Each quad has its good and bad points, have some fun, check out a bunch of dealers see whats out there, don't rush and buy the first thing that grabs ya.

Old 10-06-2002, 09:38 PM
wyd
Range Rover

If he gets bored that is what the DS650 is for. That is his fast tearing it up type machine.

The Prarie 650 is fast and more like a sport machine. My good friend owns the Prarie 650 and the Girzzly 660. The Grizz is nice as well and rides alot smoother over the rough stuff and is almost just as fast. The Prarie can jump the Grizz off the line buy a quad length and then its even.

The Polaris Sportsmans to me still offer the best overall ride. My SPortsman 400 road like a Caddy. Smooth as one could expect when riding a atv off road.

You best thing to do is to ride as many of the machines that you like and then make your pick. You are the only one that has to like your choice, not the people with opinions on this thread.

Old 10-10-2002, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default New to utility ATV's......

Well.......I went and rode the Prairie got off it and rode a Grizzly. I liked the ride of the Grizzly with the IRS compaired to the strait axle of the Prairie. Both bikes are nice. The prices of the two bikes here in Florida were very much the same. The dealer looked at me like I had a green head when I said I'd like the Prairie for around $6k OTD. Both bikes here are just over MSRP however.....my local dealer had a 2002 Grizzly in camo that I worked him down to $7100 OTD then I told him I wanted the winch added to the bike.....well he screwed up and I got the winch for free, he forgot to add it in......the bike was as he said $7100 OTD when I signed. I think I got a good deal being that the Prairie and Grizzly here in Florida seem to be going for $8500 OTD for camo versions and $300 less for solid colors and those were quote from five different dealers. One dealer in fact told me if I can buy the Grizzly for $7100 OTD even for a left over I better go get it before its gone. Its a great looking bike, very nice ride, awsome power and camo, not many around here with camo. Plus the 2002 camo looks way better than the 2003 camo in my opinion. I like it even though theres a "Rappy" under the "hood". LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

PS: Again thanks for all the relpys, info and opinions it really helped.

PSS: Wheres the best place online to get ramps, a gun rack and other goodies for the Grizz?

Old 10-10-2002, 10:57 AM
Trailblazer

Congrates!

Old 10-12-2002, 03:43 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: ProEMTPFF
and the wife has me on a budget. She says I already have too many toys.
I guess the budget went out the door. I bet the wife stayed though.

Chet
VP Knowsalot Facility

Old 10-12-2002, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

I have just settled with my insurance company from a motorcycle accident I had in July. I'm getting $30k after attorney fees, given that I'm "allowed" by my wife $6k for a new or used bike.
The $30K turned into $35K and I explained to the wife "since I suffered the injuries from the streetbike accident I deserve a new toy and since I also haven't bought a new crotchrocket YET". She fell for it and even "upped" the $6K alloted for a ATV to the $7600 it cost to buy the Grizzly. I'll be working her for a new "rocket" for the streets very soon. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] You'd think me being a Professional Firefighter-Paramedic I'd stay off the street bikes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] And yes the wife is still here and she loves the Grizzly.

Old 10-12-2002, 05:06 PM
RIP Dear Friend

I am not the harley type and I am getting to old for a crotchrocket , so I would have to go with the old mans crotchrocket. You sit up more and its not so laided down. Plenty fast. Below is what I want.

2003 FZ1 Information

Chet
Knowsalot Facility

Quick Reply: New to utility ATV's......