Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

which model is best?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 07:54 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which model is best?

Hi guys,
I'm ready to purchase a new 4x4 but I'm struggling with model choice.I like the Yamaha Kodiak 450 and the Honda 450 ES. The Yamaha has alot of features for the price and a auto transmisson which would be easier for the little woman but I'm wondering about the belt .Questions like service intervals and replacement frequency haunt me. I also like the Honda but wonder if the electric shift poses a problem.I've heard some nightmares about the belt when they get wet and yes I know they're sealed but tell that to my neighbor who has a cat,that didn't have nine lives.So,my real question is does anybody have input on these two machines both good and bad. Anyinfo would be greatly appreciated!
Jack

Old 11-08-2002, 08:11 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Jack...your picking from 2 great machines there.....both have a reputation for reliability...can't tell you a whole lot about the kodiak so someone else will be along with that info....as for the 450, it is a great work bike....plenty of low-end torque but it's top speed will be around 50 mph.....to me that's enough for a utility machine but you will find many who disagree....there are no belts on the 450 (i inferred from your post that you believe there are)....as for the ES, it appears that it has become very reliable..i have the S model (350 Rancher) as i was kinda worried about the ES as well....there are many diehard footshifters who will tell you to stay away from the ES, but apparently the ES owners themselves are, in general, quite satisfied with their shift system.....the 450 isn't the smoothest ride out there that's for sure....none of the honda's are, unless you go to the 650 Rincon.....but for a workhorse of a machine that's very reliable, many will tell you that it's hard to beat the 450...good luck with whatever you decide to purchase.

Old 11-08-2002, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

My wife rides a 02 450 ES, and she hates the ride. She only weighs 109lbs, so the shocks don't compress much over bumps, thus giving her a very ruff ride. I don't know much about the 450 Kodiak as far as ride, but with liquid cooled, disk brakes, locker, less money and more suspension travel, I would get the Kodiak. You don't hear to many problems about the Kodiak, but you do hear a lot of praise about them.

Old 11-08-2002, 10:31 AM
TG1
Pro Rider

I haven't ridden either, but I like the features offered on the Kodiak 450.

Old 11-08-2002, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

i own a 400 KOD and my brother has a 450 honda. to tell you the truth the top speeds aren't that different. if we're both going up an incline they stay close, and if it's a winding road than the width of the 450 allows it to stay with the KOD or pass it. The kodiaks power kicks in the most at mid-range and that's when it leaves the 450 behind. I find them to be equally smooth over the bumps, the 450's width/length makes up for the 1" or so less travel. As for the belt issue, mines still original (~1600miles)
I've had it in water coming over the headlights and it never hesitated, although i notice the diff oil seems to be grey (i've changed 3 times allready) I get mine to go 90+km/h with the stock tires, but the 26" gators slowed it down slightly.

The only problem i have right now is a leaky water pump, wich was fixed on the '01 modles (vent hose) I think i'd get the kodiak, the 450 KOD has even more features than mine, and once you ride an auto (for at least a month) you'll never want to go back

Old 11-08-2002, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

The Kodiak is a great bike, but I'm not fussy on auto's. I have a 450s and has worked flawlessly. The '03's have great features like selectable 2-4wd. Lots of power, top speed is plenty for work or trails (for my riding area anyway).

Old 11-08-2002, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

i didn't like auto's either, but after 7 months on an auto, then going back to a foot shift seems like a pain (not that i wouldn't buy another 5 speed, but it would be a factor) the auto is soo much nicer once you get used to it.

Old 11-08-2002, 02:26 PM
Trailblazer

HeyThanks,
The info you related with the Kodiak was enlightening. I think for the money it really offers alot but I'm afraid of the auto tranny and belt. You stated that you never had to have it attended to,right? About how many hours did you put on the other machine?
Jack

Old 11-08-2002, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

if you put a new belt on it, it will last years. some people have over 5000miles on their belts. to be on the safe side just replace it every couple years, it's not hard at all.

One tip on auto quads is that if you're going slow or hauling use low, and don't go 20mph in low, both will case the belt to wear and break prematurely.

Old 11-08-2002, 04:20 PM
Trailblazer

I've seen both in action. Very good machines. I think the Yammi's locker is a plus. I rode with a 450 Honda and that machine was not lacking at all... so its a tough one... Personal preference is what it boils down to.

Quick Reply: which model is best?