Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help!!

I received hand warmers as one of my Christmas presents (the kind with the dial for the temp settings) and i wired them up as follows
The line (red)wire went directly on the positive battery terminal, and the black ground wire went on the negative battery terminal.

Is this the right place to put the wires? I know ATV's have altenators, so do i run the wires somewhere's else or what, because they don't seem to be getting all that hot at all!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! this is making me so mad!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 12-26-2002, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default please help!!

Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-26-2002, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default please help!!

At the risk of sounding like a smart-a$$, read the instructions(again). I would have wired the power(+ side) to a switched source, hot ONLY when the ign. switch is in the "RUN" position. Hope this helps a little. Try calling the dealer, and ask the service manager what they use as a power source. BTW-- YES, those heaters should have gotten warm IF you wired : Red to batt. (+), and black wire to (-) terminal.

Old 12-26-2002, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default please help!!

read the instructions(again).
There was none!!!!!!

the dial has an off-hi-low setting, so i can turn them off so as they're not constantly drawing power.

Dealers are closed today, but my mechanic will know, just didn't want to bother him on boxing day.

Thanks for the imput though, please anybody keep them coming!!!!!

Old 12-26-2002, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default please help!!

Rincon--- Get on the net, and see if the grip manuafacturer has a tech hot line, OR tech-support folks that will TALK you thru the install.

Old 12-26-2002, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default please help!!

Not sure about atv but on my sled the rpms have to be up over about 3000 for the handwarmers to heat well. Also when you first turn them on it takes a while because it has to heat up the mass of the handle bars and also get through the rubber grips. There are also differences in warmers where certain ones get hotter than others. I see nothing wrong with hooking them straight to the battery as long as you switch them off when not in use.

Old 12-26-2002, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default please help!!

Thanks fella's, i really appreciate the help!

I noticed mine started to get hotter, then they seem to cool off, mabey when i get out on the open trails (with the rpm's up) they get really hot. Dad's warmers on the 300 get so hot you can't hold your hands on them! Mine are kimpex, and they are supposed to be the best (so he told me-they were over $60 reg)

Thanks!

Old 12-27-2002, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default please help!!

Had the bike out today on a longer trip (3hrs) and they get realy warm on the open roads when the bike is reving more. I also found out that it eats gas like a 454 BB, it ate a whole tank of gas in 3hrs!!
(just in the snow-spins a lot!)

Old 01-02-2003, 02:43 AM
Trailblazer
Default please help!!

The have to be wired in a series system there should be 4 wires 1 goes to a hot On the switch the other on that one links to the other warmer and then the last free on goes to a ground and it doesn't have to go to the batt either i just installed these on my 2 grizzly 660's and the work great they are kimpex and the should have only costy you $20 i bought mine at rocky mountain atv any ways if they are workon and off i would check you wiring or if i remember in my instructions it said not to bend the coils when you install them it said to just wrap them aorund the handles i hope this helps good luck Tony