Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Thoughts/Opinions on big bore Ute's

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 12:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts/Opinions on big bore Ute's

The following are my observations, thoughts and opinions from what I have READ, not experience, with the Big Bore Utilities. (At this level, locking differentials the ability to shift from 2x4 and 4x4 should be mandatory.)

Kawasaki Prairie – Excellent ATV, the only area it lacks is an independent rear suspension. The Prairie would be the first I looked at. It seems to be a very balanced ATV. Excellent power, utility and good ride. List $7000

Yamaha Grizzly – Excellent ATV, its biggest negative seems to be it is slightly tippy in certain situations; I would consider this very closely with the P650. Excellent power, utility and very good ride. List $7200

Honda Rincon – Nice ATV, it seems to be in a different niche than the others, I am not sure of Honda’s target with this. I will admit the Rincon still would interest me, if I didn’t need a hardcore worker. The biggest drawback to me is it lacks the locking front differential, lacks some of the utility of others and yet it is priced above other big bore Ute’s. I would have to ride it to form my own opinion. Decent power, not sure on utility and excellent ride. List $7600

Suzuki Vinson 500 Auto. – I realize it isn’t a “big bore” as the others and I don’t know a lot about it, but the little I do, it seems like a very nice ATV. It seems Suzuki seems content on smaller displacement Ute’s; I am not sure if it has locking front differential. $6600

Polaris 700 Twin – Excellent ATV, biggest negatives is weight and past history of belts getting wet and slipping. It appears they put on the most aggressive tires. Needs to get the weight down. Excellent power, utility and very good ride. List (?) $7400 or $7500

Bombardier Quest 650 – I must claim ignorance, I just haven’t read much, which leads me to believe it is good but others in class are more desirable. Innovative, but very heavy. List $6700

What are your views of these?

Old 04-24-2003, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

The prairie sells for about $6200 in my area. You might want to check that out. Also, The solid axle could be seen as an atvantage or disadvantage depending on your style of riding. I remember the first time I rode a sportsman with IRS. I was nice on level trails, but once I started hill climbing and off camber riding, it scared the **** out of me. I really prefer the solid rear axle for my style of riding. You should find someone in your area that might let you take theirs for a spin so you can determine for your self if the straight axle is or isn't a disadvantage.

Old 04-24-2003, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

DITTO, Love the P-650,I like a straight axle. I ride lots of mud in the Appalachian Mtns., the bike is outstanding. I have had no clearance problems to speeak of. My advice: go ride 'em all.

Old 04-24-2003, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I should of noted, I am not in the market, so I will not be going out to try each of these; I am simply stating some opinions/thoughts from what I have read on these. I listed prices simply to give readers a base, I am sure all can be had for less than list.

Old 04-24-2003, 01:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Where would the Arctic Cat 500i fit into them, I've been trying to narrow down my choices for a work/hunting with some trail(muddin) thrown into the mix. I'm pretty new to all this and my head's about to explode from all the reading I've been doing.

Old 04-24-2003, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

Then what the heck is the point to this topic? You're not in the market yourself and on top of that ,you have no experience with these machines so your info isn't usefull to others. Are you just checking to see if your keyboard works?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

cudda,

A lot of people have mentioned how happy they are with the ac500. They say that the 500 is one of the best mudders available in stock form. Good workers too.

Old 04-24-2003, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

cudda-- Have you looked at the Honda Foreman line?. Very reliable, good workers, respectable trail machine. I have owned a TON of Honda products, they were all great bikes.

Old 04-24-2003, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

One of the few things I have heard that are bad about the AC 500 is that they are heavy, and parts aren't always as available as they probably should be. I don't know too many people that ride them though.

Old 04-25-2003, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info guys.
TRX450, I haven't really looked at the foreman too much. I'll do some research.
Swamp, I don't think parts would be that bad for me, I live about 15 minutes from a rather large dealer.
They also sell Yamaha and I'm kinda torn between the Grizzly and the Cat. decisions decisions.......

Old 04-25-2003, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

cudda-- If it is down to Cat or Grizz.... Get the Grizz.

Quick Reply: Thoughts/Opinions on big bore Ute's