Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Island Park, Idaho

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 11:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Island Park, Idaho

I need info !! I have a June trip planned to the Island Park, Idaho area for a family vacation. I want to take the ATV's to ride any trails in the area. Not looking for dunes, just scenic mountain trails. Has anyone been to this area that could give me some information. I'll be staying at the Red Rock Campground. Any help would be appreciated. We rode the Pauite trail last year and it was the best vacation we've ever had. Hoping to have the same experience this year in Idaho.

Old 05-30-2003, 12:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

We drive thru there at least 3 times a year going to St Anthony or Boise, and it looks like a great place to spend a few days exploring trails! the town is 20 miles long with trails going off in all directions. ATV's and snowmobiles, something all year long, a few places to rent machines if you need to. There is a web site for the town, try a search for it. It is beautiful there, a nice lake nearby for fishing, etc.
This is a place we have talked about visiting many times, but just haven't done it yet, maybe this year.

Old 05-30-2003, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Laurel59044 for the info. Thats what I was hoping to hear. I did call a Targhee forest ranger today and she said there were few trails to ride in the Island Park area. She also said they were ATV friendly but they just don't have many trails. The campground said there are 500 miles of trails in the area. After reading your info, it sounds like the campground is right. The Ranger said there are plenty of trails across the state line in Montana. So I also called the Rangers office today in the Beaverhead Nat. Forest in Montana. SHE said Montana treats all trails as roads so my ATV must be street legal to ride in Montana. Horns, turn signals, mirrors and all that...did she tell me right?? If she is...I'll just have to stay out of Montana. Thanks for the help!!

Old 05-30-2003, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I guess technically the Montana ranger is correct, but there are not very many rangers, to police all the trails would be impossible. What I would do is call the rental shops for ATV's in and around Island park, and ask them the requirements. From driving through there, it looks like there is lots of trails in Idaho, and Idaho is more ATV friendly.

Old 05-31-2003, 09:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. We have always wanted to see this area of the United States and to be able to take the ATV's and ride just puts icing on the cake. I probably wouldn't ride the 2000 miles otherwise.