Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

HAS ANBODY EVER RIDDEN AT COAL CREEK

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HAS ANBODY EVER RIDDEN AT COAL CREEK

Originally posted by: BIGBLAZER
predator03, you come from michigan so which way do you go. are there any rules about riding double or anything like that in case somebody has to on one of the utility quads. we have some younger kids that ride with us but are very knowledgable and really can ride, are there hills that are to steep for them to climb or is it pretty flat for the most part.
We take 75 south to exit 122, Clinton. Go right (west). Take that till you get into Oak Ridge. You will come to highway 61/62, they are both the same highway at this point. Turn right and head towards Oliver Springs. You will come into town, there are gas stations, food city and the last business you will see on your right is rite aid. After you pass rite aid, it's roughly a mile or so. You will drive onto a bridge. At the end of the bridge is Windrock ave, turn right there. If you get to the stop light, you have just passed it. After you turn right, it's a couple of mile down that road. You will see where it is, the road will split by the church, you will turn left there. That's the parking lot. It's also the base of the mountain. Just up the road is where we have our quads. We are good friends with a guy that gets to get up every morning and look at that beautiful mountain. From the highway to the parking lot is 25-30 miles.

Riding double is perfectly legal, as well as the choice of whether or not to wear a helmet. There are places that you can get hurt there. You do need to respect the trails. Not be afraid, but know that the terrain is rocky in places, and sometimes steep and off cambered. STAY OFF OF TRAIL 14!!! I can't stress that enough. As a first timer, I would also avoid 3, 7, 12, 17, 19, 21. They have marked some newer trails with higher numbers, but from what I remember, they are marked pretty well, or you can tell they are bad before you get too far on them. If the trail says easy, it is, if it says moderate, then there is at least one obstacle on there that makes the trail challenging. You do not want to go on the difficult trails. After you have ridden there a while, you'll get the hang of the place, and exploring is great. If you have time, I recommend going on the other side of highway 116. It is the other side of Windrock property. I think the riding is better over there, but the trails are not marked as well. They have a problem with idiots tearing the signs down. They are having the big fall ride, I think this weekend, so they may be marked better. A map will certainly help. The flats, panther bluff, and the hill climbs are on the other side, but it helps to know the area, try to find someone there you can hook up with. There are A LOT of very friendly people there. Some of the best people I have ever ridden with. Any of the people in the club would be glad to offer advice. If you go there on Saturday, you can buy your permit there in the parking lot. Other wise, I believe you can buy them at the Citgo station right across from that rite aid I told you about. I think I'm right about that, they started doing that since I was there last.

I thought I knew a little about riding, Windrock is a different monster from Michigan, and probably Indiana. You will probably get hooked just like I did, so make sure you are careful. That way you will want to go back.

I wish I could be there to show you around. I know every inch of Windrocks 72,000 acres, plus quite a bit of the surrounding area. We've been tossing the idea around of a long weekend down there, but I'm not sure I'll be there before Thanksgiving.

Any other questions...just ask. Scott

Old 10-17-2003, 01:25 PM
Range Rover

predator03,
the information you provided was extremely helpful. The high school kids around here are out next thursday through sunday so i think we will probably make the trip. I can not make the gaurantee, we have also be throwing around the idea of going to hatfield mccoy but the drive is just endless. I know the roads pretty well from louisville to knoxville and it took me about three hours to get to knoxville last weekend on the way to the nascar race. that was without a trailer. the trip normally takes about four so maybe i will get lucky and make it shortly under four hours.
if you ever want to hook up and go riding somewhere just let me know. I am pretty open to the type of riding as long as my 400ex can make it through. i do like to ride fairly fast but if the trip will involve mud i can always borrow a four-wheeler. I think next spring we are going to try to come up to silver lake so maybe you could show me around up there. that is if the ride would even be worth it to come up there. I have been told from new albany to silver lakes can take about six hours, four to fort wayne and 2 hours from fort wayne. I don't know.
thanks again for the help. Brian

Old 10-18-2003, 05:46 PM
Trailblazer

I'm a member of windrock . I've never been to Coal Creek , but i heard its a great place . Yeah , they have had a lot of problems with trail 14 . I think there is a huge mud hole that nobody can get through including trucks . I'm making my Rancher 4x4 right now big and bad and been going through every mud hole people said I wouldn't get through . So far i've only been stuck four times and made it through every mud hole that i have found except for maybe one or two which i'm going back to tackle later on as soon as i go back . Pickett State Park in Pickett county has some mud holes which all have bottoms , but I wouldn't take anthing under a 200-250cc. atv because one of the creeks you have to go through is kind of high . I've been here like 3 or 4 times . Blackhouse MT. is another good place to ride I heard . Never been there but planning to go this next summer . Here is more info. about Blackhouse MT. HighLifter ,"100 PLUS MILES OF TRAILS. EASY TO VERY DIFFICULT. HARDPACK TO MUD. LOTS OF OVERLOOKS AND HUGE CAVES. NO FEE. Additional Information: WORTH THE DRIVE! HAVE RODE FOR 2 SUMMERS AND HAVE NOT COVERED ALL THE TRAILS. AREA BORDERS TN. AND WAYNE CO. KY." If you need to know anymore info. I would be happy to help .
OutlawRancher

Old 10-18-2003, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, the big mud hole was on 16, but the club did a good job of bypassing it. Trail 14 is right off the pavement heading up the mountain. It is very steep, and a couple of really nasty obstacles to deal with. The big problem is, if you get on the trail at the top, you won't know how bad you are screwed until you are. I went down it last year on my Scrambler. My son thought it was hilarious, thankfully he was at the bottom waiting for me instead of with me. I ended up having to tie a rope onto the rear grab bar, sitting in the creek, and lowering it down about 5 feet by hand. Of course it layed on the handlebars, which meant I had to roll it over, all by myself. Tough to do with a 600 pound machine. I know for a fact that the trail has gotten worse since then. Just not worth it, imho. There's around 250 miles of trails there, 14 is about a mile, stick to the other 249.....Scott

Old 10-19-2003, 10:28 AM
Range Rover

outlaw rancher,
any information on any place to ride would be very welcome. my friends and i are in to riding like you wouldn't belive. in the past three months i have put ten thousand miles on my truck going riding and that is no joke. we go riding every weekend and when we don't go for a while we make it worth our while when we do.

Old 10-19-2003, 02:38 PM
Trailblazer

Here are some trails that I know of :
1.)Coal Creek ( never been there but, can find info. if wanted )
2.) Royal Blue ( same never been there but can find info if wanted )
3.) PRENTICE COOPER STATE FOREST ( same never been there but can find info if wanted )
4.) Pickett State Park ( haven't been there but going this winter and can get info. if wanted )
5.) Upper Tellico ( never been there but can find info if wanted )
6.) Zenith ( been there about four time . Its a pretty short trails . It took us about three hours to go up and back threres like five river crossings and two of them are a preety good size . Its a real easy trail great for beginners . Wouldn't try any atv under a 250cc. because sometimes its hard to cross the river . I know this from experience . My brother has a 250 Recon and had a little trouble . All the mud hole have a rock bottom except some off to the side of the trail and if you go up the mountian then there are also a couple of bottom-less holes . )
7.) Blackhouse Mt. ( haven't been there but might go next summer . Can find info if wanted . )
Post back or PM me if you have a question about on of these places .
OutlawRancher

Old 10-21-2003, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer

Does anyone want to go riding at Pickett State Park this winter ? I trying to get a ride going. If you want to go and i'll either PM you the info. or i'll just post it . Anyone and everyone can come !! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
OutlawRancher

Old 10-22-2003, 03:20 PM
Range Rover

where is it and what type of riding are you planning on doing?

Old 10-22-2003, 04:53 PM
Trailblazer

Its in Pickett county , TN. I don't know how the trails are like because I have never been there . I working on finding more people so i'll post back when I get more info.
OutlawRancher