Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

VA, Prince William Co. Off-Road Park

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2000, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Northern Virginia ATVers! Dave Hintemeyer asked me to post this worthy appeal:

To all ATVers, MXers and people that just like to
get dirty....

The Prince William Off Road Coalition (PWORC)needs
your help. We recently concluded our task force in
the county to try to get an off road park in Prince
William County. The task force will present its
official report to the board of supervisors on June
27 @ 7:30 pm at the McCourt Building. If there is
anyway possible that you and anyone you know can
attend
this meeting wearing a jersey, shirt or hat related to
off roading it would be greatly appreciated. We need
numbers (massive amount of people) to show support
for our side. The group opposing our efforts is very
strong politically and we need to show we have more
of a backing than they do.

I know I am probably out of line asking, but we are
down to the wire on this thing. Crunch time you might
say. I believe there will be announcements on the pa
system at Budds Creek during the upcoming weekend.
(Thank you Mr. Beasley). You wont have to get up and
speak or anything we just need supportive bodies to
fill the board chambers and any other part of the
county building that we will hopefully over flow
into.

This off road facility will/would ( when we make
this happen) be open to people everywhere, Va Md DC
doesnt matter there are no residential restrictions
incorporated in the documentation that will be
presented. This is a good thing for all of us.

For those you are unfamiliar with this proposed off
road park, in short, we (PWORC & task force) 1- have
established that there is a need for a facility like
this in the county. 2- suggested that the facility
be built at the county landfill, this phase of the
landfill we are intersted in wont see any use for
atleast 20-25 years. It's just several hundred acres
of wooded rolling terrain just sitting there
untouched. Since the land is owned by the county no
land purchase is required.

The McCoart building is on Prince William Parkway,
between Old Bridge & Hoadly Road. Look for the big
water tank that says Prince William Government
Center. It is the red brick building on the left.
If you need further directions, don't hesitate to
ask!

Also, I believe that the time (7:30pm) is tentative
and may change. I will contact you folks again if
the time changes.

Sincerely,
Dave Hintemeyer
dwhst9@yahoo.com

See powrc@aol.com for more information.

Forwarded by Tree Farmer

Old 06-17-2000, 10:09 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have marked the calender & will plan to attend with my wife & 3 kids all dressed for the occasion. I would also suggest that everyone bring their atv's so the county officials can see what kind of sales tax dollars we off roaders generate.

I used to live in PW county, and I am aware of the very few places to ride.

Treefarmer, have you ever ridden behind k-mart on dale blvd?

Old 06-28-2000, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

Do you know of any current tracks or trails in Northern VA or Maryland that we can ride in the mean time. I've struggled finding any other than BUDDS CREEK. I've heard of one near Warrenton, but am unsure. If you know please tell me.
(aliabuaziz@hotmail.com)
Also, please tell me how the meeting went. I only read it on the 28th.

Old 06-28-2000, 03:34 PM
Range Rover

Unfortunately, I just read this today (June 28). I was ready to attend. Hope a good turnout attended.

Alibaba,

I don't know of any legal places to ride other than some of the parks in North Western VA. Check this site out; it has something about riding areas somewhere. I usually ride illegally (technically speaking) I wish I had enough money to purchase about 400 acres. I would know exactly what to do with it.

I am interested in where the heck Tree Farmer rides. Last I checked, Springfield Mall didn't allow ATVs...ha ha ha

Old 06-28-2000, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was nothing wrong with the turnout, standing room only and in the foyer of the County Administration Building. Not to be pessimistic, but: looks like many a slip, 'twixt cup and lip, regarding the Prince William Country Off-Road Park!

The Prince William Off-Road Coalition did a masterful job, both in the "Citizens' Time" speeches, and in presenting the Task Force Report to the County Supervisors. (The attendees had been "prepped" by an ATV and dirt bike demonstration held in the parking lot before the meeting, a demonstration somewhat dampened by a summer shower downpour.)

Citing the benefits of a public off-road riding area, including reducing illegal riding, positive youth and family programs; the need, 5000 estimated ATV owners in the county; equity, there are baseball/softball parks, soccer fields, golf courses, swimming pools, gymnasiums now run by the County; availability of space (200-acre) landfill; feasability (the Task Force visited off-road parks across the country); the report was greeted with an absolute turn-down (regarding the use of the landfill) by two Supervisors; and a couple of non-starter ideas (have local dealers pay $ 50,000 for a feasability study; get some landowner to offer HIS property for the purpose).

I thought allowing the Task Force to explore foreclosed options, like use of the landfill, cruel and manipulative. As to purchasing land for an ATV park, when current price for undeveloped land in the county is $ 20,000/acre, not likely.

Nevertheless, the Park Executive was tasked to draft a request-for-proposal for a feasability study (silly me, I thought the Task Force Report fulfilled many feasability study requirements).

My prediction (again, I don't WANT to be pessimistic): The Prince William County Off-Road Park initiative will be allowed to twist slowly in the wind for many, many years. No "legal" public off-road riding area now exists in the county, nor is one likely in the future.

Around 9:30 p.m. during the meeting, a disgruntled gentleman strode down the aisle, faced the Supervisors, and began cursing them (I heard he is plaintiff in a personal injury lawsuit regarding a swimming pool accident involving his son). The Chairman tried to calm the belligerent speaker down, then this irate citizen pulled a pistol from his coat and . . .

This is all true, except the last. Actually, the Chairman gaveled a recess and asked the man to step outside; the Secretary punched up 911 (I imagine) on her telephone, and I didn't see the interrupter again, although a few policemen and a deputy sheriff came on the scene.

But, I believe every attendee wondered what he might have done had my fictitious scenario unfolded.

After half an hour, the meeting hadn't reconvened; so, I left. Although no votes were planned for this meeting, I do not know the final outcome. I include the non-ATV-related anecdote explaining why I don't have the final details of the meeting.

Despite little apparent progress, efforts like the Off-Road Coalition's efforts deserve support, showing ATVers can act responsibly and professionally requesting the same consideration for ATVing offered other recreational interests.

Then, maybe, some day . . .

Tree Farmer

Old 06-28-2000, 07:51 PM
Range Rover

i was there too........impressive presentation by the citizens.......i left shortly after a board member told the citizens not to applaud each others short speach. I hadn't realized that prince william county, virginia was outside the US, until then. I had a pretty good idea at that time as to the outcome of the meeting. glad I left when I did.

again , impressive showing by the various atv groups & clubs.

thumbs down to the prince william county board of supervisors.
jmho