Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Mahwah, NJ

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 09:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mahwah, NJ

Sucks!
I don't want to insult anybody's backyard but what a disappointment.
I live in Monroe and for years have seen cars with trailers parked in that dirt lot along the Thruway (and sometimes saw quads from the highway). I have always wanted to buy a quad and ride there.
Yesterday some friends went to ride in Monticello but I think I got up too late so I figured I would check out Mahwah...it was pretty boring. I am new to riding but this place was just not challenging. It was real small and had no hills (some guy there said that all the rain eroded some of the hills).
Anyone that will go to Mahwah should also check out Tezt in Middletown, NY. Only about a 40 minute ride from there and way more fun.
If anyone is interested let me know and I can give you directions.
Goss50

Old 11-24-2003, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Mahwah, NJ

Goss50,

You didn't even touch on the trails there. you have to know how to get under the thruway through the culvert and up on to "stag hill". That's where the riding is. That takes you onto the power line which is real hairy, bring an extra set of ba!!s with you, riding. The trails go no for hours and they are very challenging. Not for the weak of heart i tell you. Unfortunately, Mahwah has been a bust as of late. The cops regularly hang out and wait for people to ride there. They WILL take your bike. They are not warning people anymore!! Be very careful if you choose to ride there. If you must, I recommend parking on the power line with your vehicle and offload there. If you park in the big field, you are taking a chance. The trick is to find the powerline from route 17. I dont really go there anymore cause of the hassle.

I have been to tetz many times. It is very good riding there but it looks like they are ready to do some building the last time I was there.

I am going to Paragon Park with a bunch of friends if you are interested. We are going on dec 7th and meeting at the back of the parking lot farthest from the registration table if you are interested.

Jason

Old 11-24-2003, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer
Default Mahwah, NJ

Jason,
I have no idea what Paragon is.
I parked down the hill from Sharp. There is a road that leads out of the parking lot and then at the end of it you take the dirt road down to the bottom. A bunch of trucks parked down there and nobody bothered us. I heard that parking in that dirt lot off the Thruway will get you ticketed.
I heard about that Stag hill thing. I rode with two guys that I met there and they talked about it but they said you could not get there because either the water was too high or the pipe was blocked off, can't remember. Also they said do not go up there alone because of the Jackson Whites. This is what they called them and I have no idea if its insulting or not so I apologize to anyone who may be offended. They said that the Jackson Whites are a close knit bunch (the incest type) that don't like outsiders. They said that if you are riding in a pack then they will not bother you but if it only one or two of you they may cause serious trouble.
This was the first time I heard of this so it could be total BS.
As for Middletown they are building anywhere they can. For the time being I think that property is owned by awoman that lives in Jersey. She comes to visit every so often and gets pissed if people are riding there. This too is second hand info.
Let me know about Paragon.
Craig

Old 11-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default Mahwah, NJ

Goss50,

Here is the link for Paragon Park. It is about 2 hours from us or so.

As far as Mahwah goes, The Jackson whites are actually better known as the ramapo indians. As long as you dont ride over grave yards or on any private property they will not bother you. I know many people that live in that area and they are just as nice as anybody else i know. I haven't been riding there in a long time so it is very possible that the water is too high to get through the culvert. As I siad earlier, you can still get to stag hill if you know how to drive your vehicle right onto the power line.

Let me know if you are interested in going to paragon. we also peridically ride with some friends in Port Jervis. The trails there are pretty awesome too.

Jason

Old 11-25-2003, 11:46 AM
Trailblazer
Default Mahwah, NJ

Jay,
I did a search on the Jackson Whites. Interesting people. A lot of conflicting reports. In the end they have never bothered me so I think I will leave them alone.
Thanks for the invite and the Paragon info. I will talk to my buddy and see if he wants to do the Dec. 7th ride. Is it good riding up there?
Where in Port Jervis do you go? How is it out there?
Like I said I haven't been ridign long so I don't know a ton of places...yet.
Craig

Old 11-25-2003, 03:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default Mahwah, NJ

take the trip out to pargon u will not be disappointed at all going there this weekend sat with a couple of people great place

Old 11-25-2003, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default Mahwah, NJ

Jason,
I called my buddy and he is checking his schedule (little b#tch always has an excuse not to go). I should know later this week or early next.
I looked at the website and it looks pretty cool.
I read on one of the 4X4 trail descriptions to expect damage to your vehicle. Who the hell wants to go that route?
I'll let you know in a few days though.
If you get a minute, and are interested, do a gogle search on the Jackson Whites. Interesting stuff.
Craig

Old 11-26-2003, 07:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default Mahwah, NJ

Craig,

I have never been to paragon so i dont know first hand how it is. However, a bunch of people that we are riding with have been there and supposedly it rocks. Let me know if you guys are going. we can meet up somewhere around here or at the park.

Port Jervis riding is pretty awesome. My buddy lives right across from the trailhead. This is a bad time to ride there now due to hunting season. He usually has a bunch of big rides every year. Last ride we had there were about 20 of us. very cool day of riding.

The Jackson whites dont like to be called that. I just refer to them as the ramapo indians. I actually went to school with a few and also was on a bowling league with some of them also. They really are very nice people. Never have done me wrong so i have nothing but the utmost respectbfor them.

Jason

Old 11-27-2003, 09:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mahwah, NJ

Iwas up at paragon last sat. great place, you can pick your type of trails from harsh to river crossings. But I would check about the 7th as they have a monthly trail ride which you have to particpate not sure what it is about so you may want to check. used to ride Mahwah it was great till they cracked down, never a problem with the people up there. later

Old 11-27-2003, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Mahwah, NJ

That is a local suv/jeep group that has monthly rides there. You do not have to participate from what I am told. Should be an awesome time.

Quick Reply: Mahwah, NJ