Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

So. Calif-Snow Creek/Windy Point Getting Fenced Off!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 10:59 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So. Calif-Snow Creek/Windy Point Getting Fenced Off!

I was there this afternoon, doing a little break-in riding on the 450. The BLM ranger came by and said that it was all private land (except the BLM land that was already closed), and they would be putting up a fence around the whole area sometime in the near future (after they decided who has to pay for the fence). Actually, this was one of the better encounters I have ever had with a ranger! It was a young lady (forgot to get her name). She was very pleasant and informative, and actually sympathetic about the fact that we are loosing so many riding areas. She never asked me to leave, or threatened a ticket (although I don't think being federal, she could give me a ticket on private land anyway, and the land wasn't posted, so it would get thrown out in court even if you did get a ticket).

Anyway, she suggested some alternative areas. There are some legal canyons north of Dillon Rd., like Little Morongo (which can be ridden all the way up to Yucca Valley???). I would call the BLM office in Palm Springs for details on alternative riding areas. She did say that everybody she stops says they heard on the internet, that the area is open for riding!!

Old 03-14-2004, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BUMMER! I went to El Mirage this weekend. Windy point was my 2nd choice. (had a blast at El Mirage). I am going to have to go again soon before it is a memory! (maybe next weekend). That is why I don't like to post some of my favorite (secret) riding spots on the internet. I wonder where they may of heard of it on the internet?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2004, 12:25 AM
Red Rider

Happy-She also suggested that I go out to your "secret dunes" area!! I didn't post that for the same reason!

Old 03-15-2004, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't been there yet with my V. I think I am going to try to do a weekend trip in 2 weeks(?). I have just went the extra miles to glamis! Let me know if you want to plan a trip[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2004, 04:34 PM
Range Rover

ah haa! I've pin pointed your secret dune area, tho i don't think it's much of a secret, there's always family events going on there "pigletfest" etc etc.
Great lil dune area tho. I hate to say it but this post KINDA gives it aways [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
One of my favorite places to camp/ride, were going to hit either Johnson valley or ..... valley this weekend, stop by for a cold one if you see a white expedition w/ trailer, prolly be there early sat morning.

Windy point was my 2nd choice. (had a blast at El Mirage). I am going to have to go again soon before it is a memory! (maybe next weekend). That is why I don't like to post some of my favorite (secret) riding spots on the internet. I wonder where they may of heard of it on the internet?

Old 03-15-2004, 08:12 PM
Red Rider

I hope your air conditioning is working!! We were planning Ocotillo Wells this weekend, but the forecast if for the mid 90's! It should be hot everywhere this weekend, but cool down by the following weekend. Next week is the kids spring break, so we are thinking maybe Pismo instead???

Old 03-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: eman4000
ah haa! I've pin pointed your secret dune area, tho i don't think it's much of a secret, there's always family events going on there "pigletfest" etc etc.
Great lil dune area tho. I hate to say it but this post KINDA gives it aways [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
One of my favorite places to camp/ride, were going to hit either Johnson valley or ..... valley this weekend, stop by for a cold one if you see a white expedition w/ trailer, prolly be there early sat morning.

Windy point was my 2nd choice. (had a blast at El Mirage). I am going to have to go again soon before it is a memory! (maybe next weekend). That is why I don't like to post some of my favorite (secret) riding spots on the internet. I wonder where they may of heard of it on the internet?
I would bet the area you are thinking about is NOT the "secret dunes" we were refering to. I have never heard of any event out there.....other than military flyovers![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]