Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

H & M , Rockhouse Trailhead?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004 | 08:46 PM
|
Range Rover
Default H & M , Rockhouse Trailhead?

Has anyone been to the Rockhouse trailhead? If so how was it?

Old 03-23-2004 | 10:46 PM
Range Rover

We've ridden Rockhouse several times. It's our favorite. It's got something for everyone. There's a guy on this board WVexrider (Todd) who lives down there, he knows his stuff about the trails. He has an atv business and guide service. Get ahold of him. The black trails are for the VERY experienced riders, they're tough. You'll need that skid plate too. If you've never been there, you're in for a treat. It's an awesome place. Rockhouse is our favorite, then Bear Wallow, then Buffalo Mtn. lastly would be Waterways it is the easiest of the four. I think that Buffalo Mtn. has the toughest stuff, Rockhouse and Bear Wallow are about the same as far as trail rating and difficulty. Have fun!! (Mrs. Q)

Old 03-24-2004 | 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

Rockhouse ROCKS! Trails #31/#13/#10/#12/#26/#27 especially.

Old 03-24-2004 | 02:03 PM
Range Rover

TRX - Did you ride 35 this time down?? We're going the weekend of the 9th of April. Wanted to see what shape it was in. That steep hill was a trip for me last time down. I agree on #13 and #31, I think that's the trails they filmed a Suzuki commercial on. (Mrs.Q)

Old 03-24-2004 | 02:36 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

Rockhouse is great! I personally prefer staying in the Man area and ride the trail system towards Gilbert (where we stop for lunch and refueling). Here’s my favorite path through the place starting from Man: (TH = Trail Head, R = right, L = left, S = straight) TH-10, L-14, (L-29 if you are experienced & on 4x4’s), L-28, R-21, L-10, R-12, L-13, R-31 (uphill switchbacks!), L-12, S-10, (into town of Gilbert for food & fuel), back to 10, R-35, L-36, R-10, R-34, L-16, R-21, R-10 to TH. I’ll be making my 1st visit this year about one month from now…

Old 03-24-2004 | 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

QC-- Nope didn't hit #35. Wanted to, but the sissies I was riding with didn't. I like 35. We did ride 26 and 27. Very rocky and technical in a couple places.
2TV-- I rode my V-Force up that trail 29 last June.....SCAAAARY! Riding DOWN, was no problemo. It should be designated 4WD ONLY!
Will be down on Mem. Day W.E. to ride with the Windrockers.

Old 03-24-2004 | 03:39 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

That's very true about trail 29, it is steep, rutted and rocky (at least it was the last time I was on it). If you are not on a 4x4 and not very confident with your machine, I'd recommend bypassing 29 and stay on trail 14 until you get to 28.

Now we will do other trails than what I mentioned in my previous post, but the ones I listed is my favorite main path through the place. Lately I generally do Rockhouse on my V-Force and pretty much stick to the route that I mentioned. When I ride the Grizzly I'll venture out a little more (I like to take 93 in the uphill direction, from trail 10). I believe I've been on every trail in that system except 94 (I've heard that one is the toughest of all trails so far available in the Hatfield McCoy system...

Old 03-24-2004 | 07:58 PM
|
Range Rover

Are all of the trails marked for diffuculty? What are some nice places to stay that you can ride to and from? Other than camping.

Old 03-24-2004 | 10:47 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

The trails are clearly marked / numbered with a green circle, blue square or black diamond. Greens are generally pretty easy. Blues can be challenging and blacks, well, all I can say is “oh my!” (the blacks are very challenging and I’d advise checking with the ranger or a rider that has been on them recently (as in hours) to determine how they were). For places to stay, I can recommend a few places (especially in the area of Man), however I think I’d be breaking the forum rules if I were to name them. So if you PM me with your email address I’ll email you privately and give you some names. You can also get a list of places to stay from the Hatfield McCoy web site

Old 03-25-2004 | 08:03 AM
Pro Rider

Trail 93 is (was in Sept) pretty torn up. It was a handful coming down it, didn't try going up on my 2WD. Have fun, the place is AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I, too, like staying in the Man area. It is central to most of the trails, IMO.

Quick Reply: H & M , Rockhouse Trailhead?