Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

GPS track or route files

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2000, 10:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Garmin GIII+, great toy. I picked up the Mapsource "Roads and Recreation" maps for uploading however they don't have all trails on them and since they are taken from the USGS from over 10 years ago they aren't exactly current. I'd love to trade route or track files with other Mapsource users. Does anyone know of a website where there are any to download?

Old 08-08-2000, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer

You may not like this answer but the topo map source is much more detailed for trails and two tracks. I've got both for my gps 3 plus. I'm not sure how I could send you my tracks but mine are all for wisconsin any ways.
Steve
Grizzly 98

Old 08-08-2000, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer

I've got the Garmin 12Map and the Topo software.

Wouldn't it be great if someone (hint..hint ATV Connection) started a database of waypoints, tracks, and routes for trails.

I'd be glad to upload all of the waypoints I've collected in Oklahoma and some of Colorado.

Old 08-09-2000, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

That's a pretty good idea actually. A GPS database would be awesome. I use a Garmin III (No Plus). There are plenty of shareware applications to upload & download tracklogs and waypoints. Try this link below, it is the best GPS site I know of

http://joe.mehaffey.com/

Old 08-10-2000, 01:36 AM
Trailblazer

I agree as well, a database of ATV related waypoints, routes, tracks would be fantastic for us GPS users. Even those without a GPS can grab the old compass and do the charts. If people have .mps files to share they can put them on their homepage and leave the web link in the database. Anyone else for it?

Old 08-14-2000, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

Think that's a real good idea. We (the guys I ride with) get maps from the DNR, for the trails we ride. But some times, those maps are hard to follow if you don't know the area and terrain. I have a GPS, Garmin III, also. It keeps us out of trouble but it would be nice to get a III Plus and have information from this forum to download as well as provide others with information about trails you may be planning to ride. So, how 'bout it Dave?
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Old 08-15-2000, 01:00 AM
Trailblazer

I use the DNR maps as well. I agree, even with maps unless you know the trails and where the trailmarkers exist they're difficult to follow. I've been trying to mark the points on the map with waypoints. I'll have more accurate ones by the middle of next week that I can post on here.

Old 08-15-2000, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer

Although I only have one 90 mile trail marked, it's worth downloading if you ride in Michigan. I posted it on a new and under construction website.

www.trailboss325.cjb.net

Old 08-15-2000, 09:39 PM
Range Rover

I've got track files for;
Northern Alabama ("Coal Mine" area)
Breckenridge, CO
Empire, CO
Circleville, UT (Paiute Trail)
Koosharem, UT
Marysvale, UT
Salina, UT
Hilgard Mountain, UT

I believe these can be sent as email attachments, if anybody really wants one. They really aren't very informative unless you've got the topo maps scanned into your pc (or CD's of UGSG topo maps) so that you can see where the trails are with respect to the local terrain. I use "OziExplorer" for all such observations.

Old 08-16-2000, 02:12 PM
Trailblazer

Have to agree, this is a great idea. In light of growing land closures, a private database of of recreational (obviously used even if not forestry designated) might be useful as evidence for those battling our cause. Supplemented with photos, this could be a pretty hot "ATV Vacationer" website. Problem may be figuring out how to service this idea within the constraints of this forum software (i.e. dealing with the roll-off of aged posting and organizing such posts geographically) I'm sure there's several other coordination issues too. Might be practically beyond the scope of this forum's capabilities. On the other hand, what a unique and innovative endeavor that increases the forum's value and recognition by commercial interests.
Tree Farmer; help!

Quick Reply: GPS track or route files