Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Timber Ridge; Winchester, VA/Berkeley Sprs. WV

Old 08-31-2000, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATV "Track" now open at Timber Ridge Motel & Recreation Center (including go-kart track and miniature golf course), Route 522 S., Berkeley Springs, WV; 25 miles north of Winchester, VA.

The ATV "Track," actually a woods trail, consisits of some tight woods mileage, with off-camber slopes. The environment looks good for training new riders and for testing ATV's.

The ATV "Track" is still under construction; Paul, the manager, told me he intends building some jumps. He solicits design input from riders, asking what features they would like to see as construction progresses. I suggested a mud pit; not as a mandatory obstacle on the trail, but as an optional diversion.

Currently, 4-wheelers, 3-wheelers, and dirt bikes are permitted; fee: $ 10/day. Ample parking and picnic facilities; near Cacapon State Park & Resort; tent camping available.

Telephone, (304) 258-4888; website: www.timberridgemotel.com.

Tree Farmer

Old 09-02-2000, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called down there yesterday and the man I talked to explained that the trial is about 2 miles long. He stated that they will be open on the weekends from 11am till dark (this is also the hours for labor day). Have you riden the trail? Is it worth driving and hour and 1/2 to get to?

Old 09-02-2000, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't presume answering whether anyone might or might not consider the trail, "worth it," this determination depends upon expectations and alternatives.

In its favor, the trail is legal and accessible, with varied riding conditions. It is limited in length and incomplete, that is, "under construction," at this time.

Further, the layout must take into consideration the least common denominator of the general public in terms of difficulty. Translation: this trail must not be a hazard inviting a personal injury lawsuit; don't expect Tellico or Rubicon Trail riding conditions.

I think a compatible group could have some fun here; maybe plan some other activites in the day besides riding this trail (like a picnic, the go-karts, maybe some of the activities of Cacapon State Park and Berkeley Springs).

In my opinion, Timber Ridge would be a good place to check out an ATV, to train a new rider, to hone one's own riding techniques, maybe have a bit of fun with riding buddies. Don't, however, expect an enduro course.

With the decline of legal, permissible riding areas, private trails like Timber Ridge may be the wave of the future. I would not over-sell the features of Timber Ridge ATV Trail, but I wish the entrpreneurer success in his enterprise because a need exists for legal, accessible ATV trails.

Tree Farmer

Old 09-04-2000, 09:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

treefarmer,
I went to the timber ridge trail to check things out. I did not take my atv's since I was out on an atv purchasing mission...........I spoke with the owner...........he will not allow any kids under 12 to ride........lawyers have us bound by the hand & foot............I will most likely not return since my kids can't ride there, but I too wish him luck in his venture........