Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Riding in Water/Winter Wonderland during Fall Season

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2000, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the best time of the year to ride around Michigan's Lower Peninsula. Temperature about 50-60 degrees, leaves falling from trees, not much traffic on the raods or trails. Foliage is disappearing and there's plenty of light through the trees to see the next turn coming at you. You lean into the turn without breaking speed just like you planned, when you see something else moving near the route. It's a hunter! Slam on the brake and hope the guy behind does the same. Oh! There's also a dog, barking at us... Wonder who's the angryest? The dog, the hunter or me?
It is a great time to ride but at least for us in Michigan, it's not a safe trek to the trail during fall. October; small game, November; deer, December; everything... I think hunters deserve the right to hunt. And I don't want to be in their way so I stay off the trails during hunting season. Some of us guys will get together and ride "The Mounds", a county trail where there are no hunters allowed. By January, everybodies got the shakes, can't wait to get out on the open trails again. Then, when we do get out there, we have to be careful not to **** off the snow mobilers. You know, they can't stand to see quads flippin' snow in the air. So we go slow 'til they don't see us anymore and then, swisssshhh... All of a sudden, I can't wait for spring and summer to come back. That's our season in Michigan. The hunters and the snow mobilers have to watch us do our thing. Yep! I really do love it up here...
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Old 09-29-2000, 11:38 PM
Range Rover

Nice post and oh so true... Thank goodness I have a big back yard!

Ron...

Old 09-30-2000, 05:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take a slightly differant stand on the issue of hunters and ATVers sharing the same terrain.

Hunters have THOUSANDS of acres of hunting in the state of Michigan.ATVers,on the other hand,have very little open posted land for their personal use.

Personally,I feel like hunters should be banned from hunting in the ATV posted area;s of our state.I feel like Chuck does,I dont really care to be in the same woods as a hunter with a rifle either.

But,
With very limited area to ride,I take my chances,
Bill

Old 10-01-2000, 01:16 AM
Trailblazer

I'm with Bill. There is plenty of available hunting land for the hunters. Fall is THE best time to ride. We don't ride during deer season though. Just the thought of stepping on state land on opening day makes me scared.

Old 10-01-2000, 09:47 PM
Range Rover

fall is the best time to ride............I find hunters to be quite fanatical with their sport.......they take this deer shooting business WAY too seriously. I used to be a hunter, so I know many people who still hunt. I just don't see why a guy would want to wander around in the woods looking for a deer to shoot, just so he can drag the damn thing back to his truck..........but, to each his own..............just don't tell me to stay out of the woods so that you can shoot deer...........some jackass who hunts on the land adjacent to mine has found it necessary to throw broken glass on the trail to keep us out during the upcoming season. he has also strung wire between trees, put up fences, thrown down nails, drove posts in the trails, and put up about 50 posted signs! WOW those MUST be some special deer

he better have his gun the next time I see him in the woods