Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

about Where To Ride in Mass

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about Where To Ride in Mass

MB ...I couldn't have said it any better! The sport is growing and sales are up,the problem is that it's a snowball affect.Many riders are joining atv clubs in New Hampshire and they are seeing there trails being over used due to out of state riders who are being forced to find trails elsewhere.
One area is closed and that creates more use on another,I am not a genius but this is a no brainer....I join atv clubs so that they can have a voice in decisions being made by the powers that be....are we being heard is the question!
Cleve

Old 05-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Range Rover

I am in favor or charging a day pass or seasonal pass to keep riding areas open.Now that there is more pressure from enviromental groups and development to close all areas for ORV use,atv owners have to work just as hard to keep areas open.I know we(atv clubs) are being represented at (DEP) meetings and hearings but my concern is anybody listening.I think atv owners are a minority when it comes to decisions being made on where we can "legally ride".

Old 05-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Trailblazer

Hi.New here as well as the sport.I live in Plymouth Mass right down the street from Myles Standish,I hunt and fish there all the time,as well as occasionally snowmobile there.I have written a buch of letter and have written to other clubs and maybe that is southeastern mass's problem,no atv clubs.I would like to get something going where we could start off with a list of names of people that would be serious about joining a club,volunteering their time to trail maintainence and clean up as well as the other things that would make atv(and dirt bike)riders look better in the publics eyes.I have more research to do but getting serious inquires from people may get our voices heard.I am in the process of trying to find out where our regisration money goes to,how many registered bikesare in this part of the state,the potential income that could be made,rules and regs that would have to be followed in order to let us ride in such an area etc.If anyone has any contacts or suggestions let me know.Seems like no one around here tries anything(no offense to anyone that has).Thanks Nitsy

Old 05-13-2005, 10:25 PM
Range Rover

Hi Nitsy... thought you might like to see what you're up against here in the peoples republik of MA...

found these on the netra website

------------------------------

ORVers PERFORM A RECORD 2826 HOURS TRAIL WORK IN MASS STATE FORESTS
A TOTAL OF OVER 20,000 HOURS VOLUNTEER TRAIL WORK SINCE 1996.

March 25, 2005

In 2004, off-road motorcyclists and ATV riders performed 2826 man-hours of volunteer trail maintenance in seven Massachusetts state forests under contract with the Department of Conservation and Recreation. This is a record level of documented trail work since the Massachusetts MOA program began in 1996, and an eight per cent increase in the amount of volunteer work performed in comparison with the previous year.

In western Massachusetts, the Berkshire Trails Council performed 2166 man-hours volunteer trail work under contract with the DEM in five state forests, a 26 per cent increase over the previous year.. The BTC is composed of the New England Trail Rider Assn (NETRA), WestMass ATV, NEATV, and local NETRA clubs.

In Beartown State Forest, the Knox Trail Riders performed 304 man-hours trail maintenance with some help from the Pathfinders MC. In October Mt S.F., NEATV provided a whopping 588 man-hours trail maintenance. In Pittsfield S.F., WestMass ATV provided 492 man-hours trail maintenance with some help from the Pathfinders MC. The Berkshire Trail Riders put 397 man-hours trail maintenance into Tolland S.F. 385 man-hours of work was performed in Savoy S.F., most of it in a big work party with 97 volunteers from numerous ORV clubs in October. The Greylock Trail Riders, who had been working in Savoy for years, no longer have the necessary manpower. However, Hoosac Valley MC has had a recent resurgence, and has offered to take over the work in Savoy for '05.

In eastern Massachusetts, King Philip Trail Riders performed 410 man-hours trail maintenance in Wrentham/F. Gilbert Hills S.F. Meanwhile, Pilgrim Sands Trail Riders provided 250 man-hours work in Freetown S.F.

This trail work has included building bridges, installing waterbars to prevent erosion, building causeways through muddy areas which are undrainable, cutting and clearing out drainage ditches, clearing blowdowns, cutting new trails under DEM direction, and regrading/gravelling eroded sections. Most lumber and supplies were paid for by the DEM. However, the Knox Trail Riders, Pathfinders MC, and NEATV paid for three dump truck loads of coarse rock used to fill mud/waterholes in Beartown S.F. and Savoy S.F. Pilgrim Sands Trail Riders purchased and installed an information kiosk at Freetown S.F.
Since 1996, the BTC has performed 15,030 man-hours trail maintenance on 200 miles of ORV/multi-use trails in five state forests under contract with the Massachusetts DEM. Combining this work with that of the Pilgrim Sands TR and King Philip TR, ORVers have performed 20,191 man-hours of trail maintenance under contract with the Massachusetts DEM in seven state forests since 1996.

For more info contact: Mike Stone
VP, NETRA
Secretary, BTC
(800) 999-2003
m.stone@ix.netcom.com

-------------------------------------

2004 FEDERAL RECREATIONAL TRAILS PROGRAM GRANTS FOR ORV TRAILS IN MASSACHUSETTS

American Motorcyclist magazine recently did an article encouraging local ORV associations to take advantage of federal RTP grants, and many New England riders hear bits and pieces about this program and often ask about how we can take advantage of it to improve our trails and trail access.
In Massachusetts, we have been taking very good advantage of this program.

But first, let me summarize the program for those who are not familiar with it. The Recreational Trails Program was previously called the TEA (Transportation Equity Act) program, and before that it was called the Symms Grant program after the Idaho Senator who proposed it. The basic concept is that out of all the gasoline used in this country, a tiny fraction of a percent is used by ORVs and snowmobiles. That means that out of all the federal gasoline taxes paid in this country, a tiny fraction of a percent is paid by ORVers and snowmobilers using trails, not public roads. So it makes sense that that tiny proportion of the federal gas taxes are used to maintain the trails. Well, that tiny fraction of a percent adds up to tens of millions of dollars each year.

So under the RTP program, the federal government divvies up this money and forwards it to the states to spend on trail projects and maintenance. Each state has a board which considers grant requests and decides which projects will be funded. But there are rules. 30% of the money must be spent on trails that are not for motorized use, 30% must be used for motorized trail use, and 40% must be used for diverse use trail projects which include motorized use.

There is a "small state exclusion" to these rules which applies to Rhode Island, Delaware, District of Columbia, and Connecticut. The reason for this exclusion is political. When the Symms Grant program was first entertained, the Chairman of the Environment Committee was Senator Chaffee from Rhode Island, who was not a big fan of ORVs. The only way he would let the proposed bill proceed was with this exclusion. The exclusion says that these small states do not have to spend 30% on motorized use, but they do have to spend the 40% on diverse use trails which include motorized use. Connecticut and Rhode Island have abused this rule by allowing snowmobile use on small sections of trail in certain forests which rarely have adequate snow cover, to certify them as diverse use. Keep in mind that the small state exclusion does not prohibit these small states from using up to 30% of the funds on motorized trail use, it simply gives the state board greater flexibility to ignore ORV trail needs if the board so chooses.

The RTP will pay up to 80% of the cost of the project. 20% (in cash, materials, or labor including volunteer labor typically figured at $10.60/hr) must be provided by non-RTP funding.
The board which makes the RTP grant decisions in Massachusetts is called MARTAB (MA Recreational Trails Advisory Board). NETRA Director Mark Bettencourt and NEATV President Ben Phelps are both on this board.

In 2004, a number of grant requests were approved by MARTAB which benefit ORV riders. Most of these requests were written by Dept of Conservation and Recreation Region 5 (Western MA) Trails Coordinator Becky Barnes, after consulting with the Berkshire Trails Council and SAM (Snowmobile Assn of MA). The BTC has held contracts with the state to maintain 200 miles of ORV/multi-use trails in five state forests since 1996. The BTC includes NETRA (New England Trail Rider Assn), WestMass ATV, NEATV, and the local NETRA clubs: Pathfinders MC, Berkshire Trail Riders, Greylock Trail Riders, Hoosac Valley MC, and Knox Trail Riders.

These grants include: $18,810 for a four week trail crew to work on ORV/multi-use trail projects in five state forests, $5,200 for trail supplies such as waterbar and bridge materials and rock for filling mudholes, $12,000 for gates to keep 4WDs off trails which are maintained for vehicles under 1000 lbs only, and $8,700 for ATV safety education. $9705 was approved for trail maintenance projects by King Philip Trail Riders, a NETRA club for eastern MA. Snowmobilers will be interested to hear that $112,135 was approved for a Bombadier snow groomer for the DCR for western MA, $38,000 for a groomer for the Berkshire Snow Seekers, $12,575 for producing a SAM snowmobile trail map, and numerous smaller grants for snowmobile club trail grooming.

After reviewing the 2003 grants, it was determined that the motorized use portion of the grants got shorted, and approval was given to a western MA DCR request of $58,000 for a Sweco trail maintenance machine, which is considered the premier tool for drainage and other trail work.

This year NEATV used their John Deere tractor/backhoe/loader, which they obtained through an earlier RTP grant, for trail projects in October Mt State Forest and Savoy State Forest.

A continuing problem for the administration of this program in Massachusetts has been getting the MA Highway Department, which receives the RTP money from the federal government, to release the funds in a timely fashion. Some state officials are trying to have the funds issued to another department, perhaps to the DCR, in an effort to speed up disbursement of the funds.

Any questions on the RTP program in MA, or requests for grant application forms, may be addressed to the state program administrator, Jennifer Howard, at (413) 586-8706, e-mail: jennifer.howard@state.ma.us
- Mike Stone

------------

Meeting with new MA Director of Parks & Recreation

The new MA Director of Parks and Recreation, Priscilla Geigis, took the initiative to cruise out from Boston to the Berkshires for the purpose of meeting with a group of ORV representatives on November 30th, 2004. The purpose was to discuss ORV trail issues and get our input on ways of improving the ORV program in MA.

NETRA representatives included NETRA President Frank Frey, NETRA VP/Berkshire Trails Council Secretary Mike Stone, Richard Frary (Knox TR), Jason Myers (Berkshire TR), Viverid (Berkshire TR), and Don Allard (HVMC). Also participating were reps from WestMass ATV and NEATV, several State Forest Supervisors and Region 5 DCR officials, and MA DCR Director of Trails Gary Briere (also from Boston).
This was a very positive meeting and the DCR officials greatly appreciate all our trail work and are considering our recommendations. The two key points we emphasized were the need for a trail maintenance sticker program to raise funds for trail maintenance (such as the updated HB971 that NETRA currently has in the state legislature's environment committee), and the need for ORV trails on state property in central/eastern MA. Viverid made some strong points about the affect of our sport on local economies, which held a lot of credibility due to his position on several Berkshire Commissions.
We have also been making these points to members of the DCR ORV Study Group, which will be making recommendations to the Director at some point probably next year. NETRA's lobbyist John Bartley participated in our October Berkshire Trails Council meeting to advance these points.

We finished up the year with some strong work parties (97 volunteers at Savoy S.F....thanks y'all!) and this really strengthens our position and helps our credibility when we negotiate or make recommendations to state officials.

A similar meeting with the Director is being planned for ORV reps in eastern MA.
Mike Stone
VP, NETRA

--------------------------

Sorry so long, Nitsy, but it makes the point-

MA gets thousands of man hours of free labor donated by the atv clubs, all required materials etc paid for by federal funding, will blow smoke up our **** under the guise of cooperation, all while collecting sales taxes and registration fees from us...which I'd almost bet go into the general fund directly or eventually. And to add insult to injury, the decision to close Savoy was announced only days before the open trail riding season was to begin (though I'd also bet that it was MADE earlier...)

Be afraid... be very afraid-

MB

Old 05-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah I know everything is an uphill battle but seems like no one around here even attempts anything anymore.I think there was a group a while back that tried but didnt get anywhere but it is worth some sort of effort.I can honestly see no one registering their bikes here (MA)anymore.While I do not condone illegal riding,you will see more of it if no one gets a place to ride.My area has been ridden for over 20 yrs and rarely have I seen any EP out there,but have occassionally seen local police,and knowing most wont stop for either,and the cops arent equiped(atleast around here) to follow bikers most places,it is onyl going to get worse.That is the sad fact.I have about 10 bikes in the neighborhood alone and atleast 2 of them ride up and down the street(in front of a cops house) atleast 4 times a week.That stuff never helps our sport.Watched another kid come down the powerlines,but instead of crossing he goes down the main road(paved) and then shoots up along a side road.But once again this type of activity has been going on for along time(around here atleast).As for me I feel as if giving it a try is worth the effort,and if nothing happens I will either ride out of state and register there or move(for other reasons also).Really sick of all the BS that Mass throws out.I have talked to cops and they have said besides the tresspassing the biggest complaint is the noise,but I am sorry to say most harley/street bikes are louder than atvs and no one complains about them.I hunt/fish the Myles Standish and I can tell you people ride there illegally all the time,I can tell you the place is trashed and its NOT becasue of atvs but rather kids partying.I am going to make my effort,and if it doesnt work out then atleast I tried,and then I will plan my future riding activities around that.Thanks for the reply and hopefully,yes I got hope,we cna get them to give us something to work with.Later Nitsy

Old 05-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Range Rover

Wow,
I'm alittle overwhelmed by all this info.I read it all and understand most of what you typed MB.I wish I lived closer to where atv'ing was allowed,it would be alot easier to do volunteer work and also be able to go to Western MA.ATV Assoc. meetings.I find it getting harder and harder to do the travel for legal riding and this is my favorite thing to do.I wish we had some kind of club representation in our part of the state,maybe Eastern MA.ATV Assoc.(part of WMATVAssoc.).

Old 05-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Range Rover

I feel your pain, lol. The only thing I'm not really sure of is the nature of the contract between the clubs and the state... if you read the above, netra refers to "volunteers", and the way the federal funding/reimbursemnet is setup, it apparently pays 10 bucks an hour for volunteer labor. If that money goes to the club, great. But if the state is getting volunteer labor free from the clubs, and then getting "reimbursed" for the labor from the feds..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2005, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey guys im pretty new to sport of atving never really wanted to believe people when they said you know riding sucks now because they are closing everything down. a year later i can see that this is true. i'll admit im not registered and i ride where it is illegal but thats because where im from (Norwood) there really isnt anywhere for me to ride legally. i live about 20 mins from the wrentham park but there are no atv's allowed there and several other places in eastern mass do not allow atv's. so why would i even bother paying to register if where i ride is illegal. i still however would not consider myself an "outlaw" as some people are saying. if i am out riding and i see the cops im not gonna run from them like a lot of people run into say you should, thats jsut not me. im looking to go out and ride for enjoyment. im not looking to destroy property, or wildlife or anything like that cuase i respect other people's property.
if there is anyway i can help to advocate more legal riding in the eastern part of this state id be more than happy too. if you guys could give me some more info thatd be great. but until then i am gonna keep riding illegally because i got no where else to ride.

Old 05-15-2005, 09:33 PM
FYN
Trailblazer

It's cheaper to register than to pay the ticket for getting caught and still having to register, $20 bucks a year, that's cheap! I pay out the *** to register my snowmobiles in NH and ME. Granted you pay and they give us no where to ride but still, that's pennies in comparison to other states.....

Old 05-15-2005, 09:34 PM
Range Rover

Unfortunately, there is not much you can do in Eastern Mass except for Georgetown/Rowley State Forest which is kind of a "hike" from Norwood and it gets boring pretty quick. You really have to go to Maine or NH. As for not registering, if you gonna ride illegally just pay the $20 a year. It's one less thing to worry about and if you get caught at least they cannot charge you for riding an unregistered machine. Everyone on this thread is talking about clubs and working with the state. To be honest, I just don't see it happening in this state. The mindset is just not there. ME and NH know they can make more $$$ on the tourism thing, and tend to be more supportive of outdoor activities, whereas Mass. would rather have the "intellectual" tourism dollars. Oh well, their loss. In any event be careful out there, I have been riding in places not especially legal, but as you say, I am not tearing up the place or littering" But I did register my machine!
My advice to you is join a few clubs in ME and NH, they are well organized and have more clout then the commie liberals down here

Happy trails,

Bank

Quick Reply: about Where To Ride in Mass