Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

pismo dunes (oceano) 4x4??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 04:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pismo dunes (oceano) 4x4??

do you really need 4x4 to camp there and actually ride or can you make in a 2wd jeep liberty or something like that a truck etc... whats the trick??? stay closer to the water does anyone here drive their car's in???

Old 05-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I air down my Suburban tires, I can go almost anywhere in 2wd (and just use the 4wd as a backup), but I am running large tires. Things will be more complicated however if you are pulling a trailer!

In 2wd, if you stay close to the beach and keep up your momentum when you have to venture into the soft stuff, you might be able to make it work. But once you are out in the soft stuff and stop, that is when you are going to be in trouble.

Old 05-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

yea i have a trailer on it decent tires if i stay closer to the beach with it ill be fine...

Old 05-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Tires make a HUGE difference on the sand. Get them aired down (talking 12 front, 10 rear). You don't have to have 35" monsters to work in 2wd. Just watch the soft stuff that torn up (i.e. some jack a** with 4x4 didn't air down pulling in his 40' 5th wheel and got stuck). I've pulled a trailer (4x8 or so) up onto the sand with little 12" tires (I'm not talking rim, I'm talking DIAMTER of the rubber) and it didn't do all that bad...just depends. Other times it might as well have been an anchor.

Momentum is the key.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 05-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

great info keep it coming i have a jeep liberty v6 3.7L non 4x4 so...

Old 05-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Air Cooled Rider

What size tires? I think it's the 16.5 rim you have to be careful with (no bead). Just no abrupt maneuvers (unless you have to...but then it's best to hit the brakes (if a kid runs out in front of you).

Oh yeah...bring a shover or two. I bring a spade and a flat nose. Plus a steel tine rake for smoothing the sand under the tent (if you're camping.)

Check the tides www.classiccalifornia.com. Come and go and low tide. DO NOT PARK on the wet sand along the beach. Salt water is UNfriendly to cars.

When are you planning on going?

Old 05-12-2005, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

I'd stay closer to the water line if I was you.. but not too close..and make sure you go past Pole 2, no camping before that! I've seen people packing up their camps in a matter of minutes and racing back from the rising tide!!! The farther back you go from the water, the softer it gets... and that's when you get into trouble.. although like B&RW said, I've seen him out there all the way back to the start of the dunes... it's momentum and driving skill. We pull a Class A back to our camp with no problem... but just stay on the gas till you get to where you want to stop.. haha... Oh, and bring a shovel!!!

If you do get stuck, there's usually someone just lingering around to pull you out! Sometimes I think they actually have contests of who can pull out the most "stuck" trucks. Most people I've met out there have been very friendly and always will to help (and yes, I've even pulled out a few strangers myself.. hehe). Have a fun time... Pismo rocks![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-12-2005, 02:14 AM
Air Cooled Rider

I'm not sure if it rocks, but it's ok. But then again, I don't sit in camp and hang out with Jack all weekend. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-12-2005, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

hehe yea well i didnt plan on driving my jeep liberty duning just enough to away from the water and able to leave when i want to pack up everyone says just drop my tire pressure if needed about 10lbs in the back rear wheel drive and ill be fine... i did notice when i went the first time with a 4x4 we didnt need 4x4 til we got back farther very soft and choppy sand area's but the front area like 25ft from where it was wet seemed solid and saw people in cars camping so... thanks for the info guys

Old 05-12-2005, 03:54 AM
Air Cooled Rider

Drop the front too! Just keep them a couple pounds higher (cause of the turning).

Actually, front drive cars kick a&& in the sand. All of the weight is over the drive wheels. I knew someone who put probably 30 miles on their car in one weekend on the sand and got stuck once avoiding some kids.

Quick Reply: pismo dunes (oceano) 4x4??