Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

HARLAN CO. KY

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 11:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HARLAN CO. KY

Any riders been to to Harlan County, KY? Im going in April and was wandering what to expect. I consider myself an intermediate rider and not into steep hills!

Old 03-15-2006, 07:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default HARLAN CO. KY

What to expect? Expect to have the time of your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were there in Oct and had a blast. We did all the trails even the Red ones, and I'm like you not really into hill climbs. Not to say the red trails wasn't challenging, just it hadn't rained in a month when I was there, so they were dry and smooth then.The last I heard they were adding 40,000 acres to the already 8,000 they had. Now that's just in the Atv park, there are 100's of miles of trails outside the park. All the people are very friendly so you shouldn't have a hard time finding a local to show you some of them. Give a shout out to Bellman on this forum to set you up for a ride. He is the President of the local atv club there, and one hell of a good guy. Several members of our club are going back there in May this year, man I'm counting the days wooohoooooooooo

Old 03-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default HARLAN CO. KY

Ditto what Skooter said. Harlan Co. is my new favorite place to ride. The trails are pretty similar to what you would see at Hatfield/McCoy, but the views are much better in Harlan Co. But, as Skooter said, the people down there really make the difference. I stayed at PoWhiteBoy's place in Evarts in Oct. and I'm going back in May. He couldn't have been nicer.

The other really nice thing about Harlan Co. is that it is 100% free. Those dollars really add up with multiple people over several days.

Have fun and ride safe.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer
Default HARLAN CO. KY

Thanks for the input guys! I am looking forward to the adventure. It will be my first actual ride, except for putting around my local trails in my county. The thing I may like most about it besides that it is free is, you park your truck set up your tent and ride your ATV everywhere you go. If you wanna go eat, just hop on the Brute and take off. I suppose this is true? I put my SG on today, man what a difference it makes in the ATV. I get my Brush guard this Friday, and cant wait. Do they got mud holes. I said I would mud but man after seeing the tires on there, I gotta Rooster somebody with mud. Watch out CaptainsKodiak here I come

Old 03-15-2006, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default HARLAN CO. KY

WoW thanks to all for the great post...................hope to c-ya on the trails soon.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default HARLAN CO. KY

RSeb I see you went to alot of the same places in Harlan as I did LOL . (hole in the wall,Ladder cave etc) When in May are you going back? We will be there from the 19th.

Old 03-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default HARLAN CO. KY

Originally posted by: skooter525
RSeb I see you went to alot of the same places in Harlan as I did LOL . (hole in the wall,Ladder cave etc) When in May are you going back? We will be there from the 19th.
Hey Skooter, it looks like we'll probably miss each other. I'm going May 25 - 29. I wanted to go sooner, but you probably know that the Ridge Runner guys are all headed to Moab the last of April. I wanted to give them a chance to get back and rested and hopefully have a better chance of good weather. I'm seriously countin the days.

Old 03-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HARLAN CO. KY

Anybody have any links they can post about this place, please, thanks. =]

Old 03-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default HARLAN CO. KY

Originally posted by: xFreebirdx

Sure thing................ www.kyoutdoors.com/hcrr/ I post in the forums as bellman as well, or just click on my clubsite in my signature.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default HARLAN CO. KY

Originally posted by: xFreebirdx
You betcha:

The local club (source for free guides and tonns of info: HCRR
The "official" park site: Black Mountian Park
Some nice videos: BirdDog Videos
Harlan County: Local Info
Great place to stay: PoWhiteBoys