Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfeid /McCoy Trip

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2000, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All
I want to thank Wayne for a great time.Also Bob & and Cheryl and Victor for a great ride.Here are the photo,s at: Hatfeild

Old 11-28-2000, 01:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sorry I did'nt get to go riding with you. I noticed everyone stopped at the top of trail #94. Did anyone have any trouble getting through trail #93 or #94? The first time through 94 I was surprised by the degree of difficulty (it was raining a bit though).

Old 11-28-2000, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

Well, everyone that attempted it made it. David and my wife didn't feel like trying it, so it was just Victor (400ex), WayneB (Prairie 400), and me (on my Rubicon) that tried it. None of us had any problems, but what a hill! That was one of my favorite parts. The other favorite part was the tight, single-ATV-wide trails that twist around the sides of the hills. What a blast!! My hat's off to the folks (like Victor) who try and make that hill on 2x4's.
We got to the area on Thursday, and highly recommend that anyone coming using highway 119 to Logan to get there. It's a nice 4-lane highway, and much better than the rest of the roads. And WV DOT is working on expanding it closer to the Hatfield/McCoy trailheads. We camped at the Paradise Island campground, which is much closer to RockHouse and Bear Wallow trailheads than any other campsites (like Chief Logan). The owners, Priscilla and Mike, are still working their tails off, building that campsite so it will be finished for next year. Priscilla doesn't really believe me when I tell her she's gonna have to turn people away next year (when the warmer riding season starts). They have a great site, even though it is still kind of in it's infancy. And for those who don't have cmapers, or want to sleep in tents, they have 12 beds (in 4 rooms) available to rent out in the 2nd story of the main building. Something for big groups of people to think about! Just be warned, they are serious about alcohol not be allowed at the campsite, but that was a benefit for me. Prices were $10 a nite ($3 more if using A/C or electric heat), versus $17+ at Chief Logan. And the best part, you are currently allowed to ride your ATV's from the campsite to the RockHouse trailhead, as long as it is registered (in your home state), has working lights, and your have your driver's license with you. Check with Priscilla if you go, though, to make sure that the Law Enforcement community hasn't changed their mind on this issue. Priscilla is keeping up on these types of things. The whole area is very ATV friendly. And the campsite is very rustic, with a babbling brook behind the campsite. Mike and Priscilla are great folks, and are working real hard to make your stay a great one.
Now, the trails. We rode at RockHouse on Friday, doing over 84 miles in two separate trips. RockHouse's trails are generally wider that Bear Wallow, usually wide enough for a truck. Lot's of interesting views, especially from the hilltops! Pack some snacks and drinks, because running back to the trailhead seems silly (we went back to see if David had gotten there). You really feel like you're traveling a great distance, not riding the same area over and over again. The trails themselves are nice, with a great variety of terrain, but are not smooth (nor should they be). RockHouse seemed to have more trails for the sport riders (400ex, Raptor's, etc), where you can open it up and fly. Wide turns, and enough straight sections, as well as ome tighter stuff. Just be aware that a mistake could put you over a rather steep drop-off, so keep that in mind. But Wayne may have been keeping us on the easier trails, since it was our first day of riding. Don't get me wrong, I liked RockHouse, and can't wait to get back.
Having said all that, I really enjoyed bear Wallow! To me, it seemed a little more oriented to the utility- ATV's. The trails are much narrowier, some just wide enough for a single ATV. A couple of trails were slow ones that wound through the trees (and over fallen ones as well), with some off-camber side-hills). There are areas where you can open it up, but much more drastic elevation changes. And trails 93 & 94 are my favorites here. Just be sure that someone (thank you, WayneB!) is keeping track of where you are via the map, as you can get easily "lost" in the riding that you actually get lost! Heck, it was hard to remember to stop periodically and take some pictures to show ya'all! It was cold on Friday, but got warmer on Saturday, although Saturday did rain some. One of the pictures from David shows us in front of a mine opening, from which warm air was escaping! We stopped there and had lunch, and kept warm by standing near the entrance. Wayne thought it was due to a coal fire underground. And let me tell you, we now know the answer to the age-old question: Bear's do indeed ^*&% in the woods. And some could use some Metamucil! One spot we found had about 20-30 piles in one area, which makes you check out the bushes real well. Likes of animal tracks everywhere, even though we didn't really see anything. That may be more related to trying to stay out of the roost of the ATV in front of you.
Folks, Hatfield/McCoy is a must-do, buth right now, there's too much to do in one day. You have to make it a multi-day trip, and you won't regret it. The trails are incredibly well-marked, but definetely not boring, and should have (a lot of) something for everyone. And it was almost as much fun hanging out at the campfire afterwards, reliving the funnier moments of the day's ride). We will most defintely be back, both to Paradise Island, as well as Hatfield/McCoy.

Old 12-06-2000, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi All
Just add Bobs photos

Old 12-07-2000, 05:25 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for posting the photos. I enjoyed them. We went over Thanksgiving but ended up riding Buffalo Mountain. We had a great time and I can't wait to go back. I think I'm going to try to make it over Christmas break. Anyone planning a trip during this time? I can't wait to check out Bear Wallow and Rockhouse trails...

Oh yeah, we ran into a guy on the trail that saw a bear. He didn't have any problems, just scared him a little. I saw a bobcat for the first time. I thought that was pretty cool.....

Rick

2001 Rancher 4x4ES
2001 Suzuki LT80

Old 12-07-2000, 12:32 PM
Trailblazer

hey exmxer the guy that seen the bear almost lost his quad later on the ride

Old 12-07-2000, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

p.s.exmxer rockouse trail closed not shure for how long. bearwallow still open foreman 400 stock

Old 12-07-2000, 01:52 PM
Range Rover

I just got off the phone with someone at Hatfield-McCoy the Rock House Trail is temperarily closed. A logging company pushed dirt onto some of the trails. They are in a meeting as I type this to resoulve the issue. I will try to keep on top of this and let everyone know when the trail in this area open again.
Wayne B

Old 12-07-2000, 01:55 PM
Range Rover

I just got off the phone with someone at Hatfield-McCoy the Rock House Trail is temperarily closed. A logging company pushed dirt onto some of the trails. They are in a meeting as I type this to resoulve the issue. I will try to keep on top of this and let everyone know when the trail in this area open again.
Wayne B

Old 12-08-2000, 05:17 AM
Range Rover

Hey plp2, did we run into you on the day after Thanksgiving? I was on a Red Rancher and my 2 buddies were on Green Rubicons. We were on Buffalo mountain trail heading over to Matewan.

EXMXER

Quick Reply: Hatfeid /McCoy Trip