Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Wilborn's ATV trails in Alabama

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 05:55 AM
hc
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wilborn's ATV trails in Alabama

When me and some friends rode there last year, we found a trail/road that led down to the interstate tunnels. We didn't go down the trail at the power lines. Can't remember how we found it. I know it;s south of the power line trail.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Trailblazer

Well, I recently went back to Wilborn's Extreme ATV Trails for my 3rd ride there. My friend Jerry and I are more impressed every time we ride there. The friendly folks at Wilborn's are busting their butts trying to make this an ultimate ATV riding destination. They were adding parking, they've ramped up their snack bar and offer a hot plate lunch as well, and of course the trails there are...AWESOME!! They are talking about holding race events there also. This is probably my favorite place to ride. I thought nothing could compare to the riding we used to do at Chigger Ridge 15-20 years ago, but this place is fantastic!! The "Extreme" trails are well marked and are very "EXTREME".. you had better hang on and make sure you have good brakes when going down one. The rest of the trails are fantastic also. I went to Coal Mtn., Tenn. last Feb. and it was impressive, but it doesn't have much more to offer except more trails!. The 4,000 acres and 150+ miles of trails here at Wilborn's are well groomed, challenging, and very scenic. We rode thru the tunnnels under I-10 and over to the west side, all the way up on top of Champion Mtn. What a view!! You can see for 40 miles. The trails that run along the bluffs on the east side of I-65 are beautiful with all the huge rocks you can ride thru. There are so many trails and places to see that it will take us at least 10 more rides to see it all!! The creek rides are fun and a good way to cool off. Man, I give this place 5 stars!! We can't wait until our next ride. Thanks Wilborns for opening this place up (and now even dirt bikes and buggies are welcome!!) because it's just what we needed, with the old riding areas gradually being shut down! I predict this place will become a "must ride" for southern off roaders. You guys better enjoy it now, because it will eventually get very crowded when the rest of the country finds out about this place! I told Yamaha Adventures about Wilborn's and they are planning to come down and demo the Rhino side-by-side there soon!

Old 03-24-2007, 03:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

This wilborn's sounds pretty good. We try to go out of state to ride every spring. Are group of 6-8 riders from Missouri have been to West Virginia,(Hatfield&McCoy Browning Fork), Tennessee (Coal Creek out of Knoxville) Kentucky (Land between the Lakes). We do have some great places to ride here in Missouri but the scenery and elevation change down south is a little more extreme. West Virginia was awesome and I would highly reccomend it. My question is does WILBORN'S have much elevation change and how much area for camping? Are there any hotels in the area? We'll be driving 8-9 hours to get there , and after a few nights of sleeping in a tent and a few days of hard riding finding a close hotel sound better before the 8-9 hour drive home. Are they open all week or just on the weekends? If anyone is headed up to Missouri you have to check out Chadwick or Sutton's Bluff. Both have good trails.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Trailblazer

I think somebody got seriously injured at Wilborn today. We were fixing to go up one of the extreme rated hills in the canyon but noticed something strange. About half way up the hill, there were 6-7 guys standing around somebody laying in the trail. We didn't think anything of it until when leaving we saw a helicopter hovering right over that area. Man ...

Old 03-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

Lots of Elevation changes. This place is Hill country, with lots of tall hollers and some high ridge riding. Power Line Hills, Hills, Hills!! Plenty of parking, camping, some RV Hook-ups. Their are plenty of hotels in Hanceville and in Cullman, especially at I-65 exit 312 (I-65 exits 299, 303, 310 and 312 are all busy exits). Beside the Wilborn's Extreme Trails in Hanceville, try "The Ridge" ATV Trails near Oneonta and Holly Springs, about an hour from Wilborn's, as well as the Bankhead Forest ATV Trail, going west on Hwy 157 - (I-65 exit 312 - about one hour away), the Kentuck ATV trails, about 2 hours east of Wilburn's and of course the Southern Ridge ATV Trails near Montgomery, Ala., about 3 hours away. You're only 4 hours from the Coal Creek/Windrock Trails in Tennessee. Google all these ride areas and you can pin 'em on your map. Call them before you travel.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:14 PM
Trailblazer

Just got back from Wilborn's and sure enough, somebody had to get Medevac'd last weekend. They are now making you sign a Medevac waiver in addition to the standard one. They said this is the second time somebody had to get air lifted out and it cost them $8,000 each time (injury victims refused to pay for it). The new form states that if you have to get Medevac'd out you have to pay the $8,000.

Both Medevac incidents were on the same hill. He also said they were both where the front end came up and the quad rolled back on the rider. I assume they were on sport quads, because I've climbed and descended the hill with no problem in 4x4. It's on one of the Extreme sections in the canyon (the insane hill that leads back to camp). Be safe over there and avoid that hill if you don't feel comfortable!

Old 03-31-2007, 09:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was there today also, I left around 12:00pm. I rode the hill you're talking about on my Banshee a few times. My Banshee eats that hill alive, but the guy I rode with wouldn't go up it on his Raptor after it scared him on his first try when his front end started lifting up. I could hit it in 2nd pretty easy and could still pull it while sitting down. Do you ride there often? The owner got me and TSPOON (whom I just met today and I think rides there alot) to go over to the track/powerlines so he could shoot some video. I tried to get some air off the jumps, but they're not really big. Maybe he'll show it on his outdoors TV show he does. Anyways, I rode fairly hard and my back is already sore, kind of feels like someone has been punching me in the kidneys.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer

Yea, I've ridden there almost every weekend since I found out about it back in February. I've clocked something like 220 miles out there and I still see new trails every time I go. Great riding!

The only problem is the dust. If you are riding behind anybody, make sure you bring a good pair of goggles and a paper respirator mask. The first time I rode without a mask I was coughing for over a week after breathing in all that dust. It's definitely better right after a good rain but you know how rare that is around here.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Trailblazer

yes i ride there every weekend and know the owner very well
i think the problem is mostly ridere that ride over there head
and can't say no to there piers, i would wreather ride another day than
take pier pressure

Old 04-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

It seems that there is some confusion about the air evac. We now offer optional air evac for $1 a day coverage. There is not an additional waiver to sign. If you choose to accept the $1 a day coverage, there is a form to fill out and your air evac will be covered.

Quick Reply: Wilborn's ATV trails in Alabama