Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield & McCoy trails

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 06:26 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield & McCoy trails

Has anyone ever been here that could offer advice and opinions for a first time visitor? We plan to take an RV for camping.

many thanks

Here is the webpage:
http://www.trailsheaven.com/

Old 02-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

It is a cool place. Helmets required. Camping for RV would be twinhollow, it is located outside of Gilbert. Entrance is a steep hill into campground. Only problem with Gilbert is no laundry mats. Lots of eats though.

Gilbert would be on the browning Fork Rockhouse trails. You could ride a couple days there. Just to the west is Buffalo Mountain also nice but you have to trailer there. If you are there more than 3 days I would check out both.

Watch the black trails not for difficulty but for the rocks. Sport quad clearance issues because some are loose boulders. 22 Black outside of Gilbert I would only suggest coming down from N to S unless you are on a sport big rock face at the top. Also, the blacks are not as maintained so bring a hatchet or small ax in case you run into some down timber. If you are running less than 6 ply tires, bring patches plugs and a air source.

I would check out quad-crew.com super great people that spend alot of time there.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Trailblazer

great information! thank you!

Old 02-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

My family and I went there about 4 years ago. went in thru Rockhouse. We had a great time. they have trails for everyone. Its rocky and gets muddy quick, there is alot of clay and silt and when its wet it gets slick and i mean really slick. Watch out for other riders. Most people are really friendly but there is always a few packs of crazy riders that dont slow down for anybody or anything.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

i went there last year n had a blast ....

Old 02-27-2007, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

I went to the Pinnacle creek trail system last September and it is a great family ride nothing real difficult. The only rv camping there is next to a small store in town, in a gravel parking lot only large enough for about 10 campers. Not a very quite setting and not what you would call camping out by any means.

Mud

Old 02-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I think everyone ought to do it at least once. We went last year. I actually have pics where we unloaded near Gilbert,WV. Advice would be to make sure you get a map and pay attention to where you are going. Everthing looks the same you dont want to be lost out there. All the trails are clearly marked and on the map. Its really organized well. Take some fix-a-flat and tire plugs with you. We took a rough trail with lots of rocks and had about 8 flats and two toasted rims altogether. We even had to weld one guys a-arm back together!

Old 02-28-2007, 01:20 AM
son
Weekend Warrior

Great place! Went there 3 years ago to the rockhouse trails. We rented a little house to stay in that was about 3 minutes form the trailhead. The trails were awesome! Keep an eye out though. I remember one green trail, 10 IIRC, was rutted out bad on a rocky hill. My z400 bottomed out and i slid back a few feet, definitely got me awake! A few days later I dropped a valve out in the middle of nowhere on the rockhouse system. I was being towed out 10 minutes later, theres fire roads everywhere so you're never really too far from help if you need it. Oh yeah, beautiful scenery too.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Trailblazer

thank you all for the replys and information. I plan to go there in a few weeks.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Been there many times...pinnacle creek is the most scenic trails and they have pinnacle creek village fo camping. Enjoy your trip and let us know how you liked it!

Quick Reply: Hatfield & McCoy trails