Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

North Divide OHV, CO

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default North Divide OHV, CO

Went to the North Divide area yesterday with my kid. First time in that area, but far enough along it runs to the Rainbow Falls area that we've been to before. So the terrain is familiar.

There are too many miles of trail here to cover in a single day, so this is an initial report, i'll update as I go back and explore the area more. There is also more than one trail head, for this report we used the 'main' one right out of Divide.

Getting there is too simple. There is one turn off the highway running to Divide and that road (the only other road there actually) ends at the parking area for the trails. You cannot miss this place.

Parking is decent, more is available further up the main trail which is a dirt road, easy for a truck and trailer. The entire area is open to camping, and it would take days to hit all the trails, so camping is pretty common. However this is prime mule deer and low country elk terrain and hunting season opens soon. So be aware of that, I saw a few hunters out preseason scouting.

The terrain here is less steep than at Rainbow Falls, mostly I'd say intermediate at most, and that rarely. Some fairly steep inclines but the trails are mostly soil and sand as opposed to the rocks usually found in CO, so traction is above average even on stock tires. Some deep sand on hills but never got my daughters 90 stuck.

Along one trail the rocks are very tight and full sized machines need to creep thru to avoid damage to the plastic. Some tight turns as well, and my kid on her 90 got thru it more easily than I did.

Most trails are marked well at the ends, but many times you'll see a sign that just says 'Trail' which is pretty useless. Maps for the area cover the large trails, but there are many small connecting trails that can confuse you. Pathfinding can be difficult but all trails eventually run into a larger one, so getting 'lost' is unlikely.

Parts of the trail system runs thru the Hayman Burn Area with trees standing dead for as far as you can see. Other parts have excellent rock formations and out of the way spots to stop and rest or picnic. Due to the size of the system, you can go hours without seeing other people.

With the rains we've gotten, the low areas contain some puddles, and a creek crossing got just over my floor boards. Nothing that slowed down a 90cc machine, so using 4WD here is more to save the belt than because you need it. Stil no mud you can really get into. Some people went off trail and played, but staying on trail means very little goo. But it has made alot of whoops so sporty riding is rewarded. I got my big *** 700 to double- double or wheelie over multiple whoops, so sport quad guys must be loving all the rollers. As I said, great traction too.

I'm planning on a couple trips there to cover the whole system. We did 40 miles yesterday and was never more than a 5 mile strait line hike from the truck. Wildlife includes deer and elk, also bear so keep it in mind if you camp there. Mountain lions are rare but not unheard of in the area as well. Possibly rattlesnakes but that's rare for the area. Black widows can be found.

Divide itself is growing. Now it boasts multiple gas stations and more than one place to buy groceries. Still, Woodland Park is 15 minutes away and has a Wal-Mart and Polaris dealer. Colorado Springs is another 15 minutes past that and boasts half a million people. Turning the opposite direction from North Divide OHV brings you up into the mountains to Cripple Creek, our gambling town. Parking with a trailer in Cripple Creek might be tough though.

A weekend in the area isn't enough to ride all the trails there, much less hit Cripple Creek for blackjack and the Craftwood Inn over in Manitou Springs (high end place that specializes in wild game food- tie may be required).

I'll be returning there soon to check out more of the trails and get pictures.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default North Divide OHV, CO

Just to add some more info this is all part of the trail system #717 you can see some pics of this trail system in my pics! This area you are able to easly ride 6 hrs without covering your same track once!