Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

South Dakota trails

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default South Dakota trails

Looking for trails in the rapid city area to ride. would like to spend a week in the area and ride and site see. Would also like to rent a cabin for that week. Planning for next year. Whats better spring or fall?
Thanks.
--------------------------------
07 650 trv stock for now

Old 09-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Trailblazer

First you need to get a AtV trail map. There are free at most bait shops and stores. We ride around Hill City and Dead Wood. If you have any questions just let me know, I would be glad to help.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Range Rover

Spring is better if there is rain, everything is green and you can have a campfire.

Stop in at any of the forstry offices, paper maps are free and the laminated ones are a small fee.

Depending on where you want to stay there is LOTS of places to ride. Up in the hills is beautiful. In SD basically as long as you have the right equipment you can ride on just about any roads. I have family in RC and I bet I saw 10 people riding thru town on quads when we were out there in June.

PM me if you have any other ????

Old 09-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info.Will keep your suggestions in mind.Trip is in planning stages.Was in the Rapid City area years ago and loved the area. Would like to go back and go riding.And I have heard that the area is very atv friendly.
Thanks again.
--------------------------
07 650 trv stock for now

Old 09-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Trailblazer

It is a great place to ride. I have been there 2 years in a row. But my boyfriend has been there 5 years now. Everytime he goes he says that he has found something different. This years trip was very exciting....we got cought in a flash flood. Really scary!!!!!! Especialy for someone who is scared of water in the first place. We realy love it out there and are thinking about moving out there somewhere.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hijack alert!

How about places near Sioux Falls? I'd love to go the the hills, but that's a long commute.

Joe

Old 09-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Range Rover

I grew up about 1-1/2 hr away from there, I don't know of much at all.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

We're going on a family ATV Camping trip this Summer 2009. Can you suggest some areas that are appropriate for 2 up riding with the family? We have an 8 and 10 year old boys. We'd like to camp and ride.

Went to Utah 2 years ago and it was awesome. Someone on the trail in Utah mentioned good riding in SD. Since we've never been there, we're looking for some guidance on what to incorporate and avoid. We're planning late July or early August. Any suggestions. Looking for easy to moderate riding.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

We're going on a family ATV Camping trip this Summer 2009. Can you suggest some areas that are appropriate for 2 up riding with the family? We have an 8 and 10 year old boys. We'd like to camp and ride.

Went to Utah 2 years ago and it was awesome. Someone on the trail in Utah mentioned good riding in SD. Since we've never been there, we're looking for some guidance on what to incorporate and avoid. We're planning late July or early August. Any suggestions. Looking for easy to moderate riding.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Range Rover

Not sure if you can get maps online but the Forestry Service is where to get them. We got maps there and asked about riding when we were out there. They were very helpful. Also asked a couple locals in town by Sylvan Lake and one guy was super cool. That was all in the south hills, I've heard the north hills are good too north of Rapid.

There was the annual ride last year for members on the other board that I am on ATV Nation, they might also be able to help. I know they put a lot more miles on than we did. We rode out there with our boys last year, they were all under 7. Great time and lots of great things to see and experience.

Quick Reply: South Dakota trails