Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Going to windrock club ride area 2/24-25

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2001, 01:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a ride at the windrock atv club
ride spot in Oliver Springs Tennessee February
24 and 25.Has anyone made this trip since they
opened it up to the public?We will be on utility
quads and hoped someone from the forum had ridden
here.Anyone who wants to give this place a shot
is welcome to ride with our group.
R.Halcomb
01 Rubicon

Old 02-02-2001, 05:15 PM
Range Rover

I've been there a time or two.

We're still working on getting maps put together and trails marked. If you have a GPS, bring it so you can find your way back. 72,000 acres is quite a large area to try and find someone.

72,000 is just Coal Creek's land, there are several adjoining tracts of land that bring the total size of undeveloped land in this area to about 300,000 acres. We don't have access to the other land, but you might wander on to it by mistake.

If you need someone to guide you around, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Glad to have you headed this way,

Old 02-02-2001, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

How far is Oliver Springs from Knoxville and what hours is it open?

Old 02-02-2001, 06:06 PM
Range Rover

About 25 miles west-north-west.

24-7-365! That translates into, "All day, every day."

Check our web site for maps to the area. Click on the Coal Creek Land link in the pane on the left of the main page.

Old 02-04-2001, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

what kind of riding is there at this place? my buddies and i ride two wheel drive bikes such as DS650,banshee and 400EX.also,will the maps be ready soon and what does it cost to ride? will the guides be 7-24-365,and do you have night rides?

Old 02-05-2001, 09:13 AM
Range Rover

All kinds of trails (asphalt, gravel, strip-pits, logging roads, ATV trails, single track) are available. Some of them are better suited for certain types of vehicles.

We're still working on the maps.

As far as the guides go, for the right $ anything is possible. If you want to ride on the weekend, that's all the excuse some of our members need to go out and ride.

You are quite welcome to go riding at night. I've seen some really neat things riding at night: a small owl sitting in the road, and a bat chasing a bug in the headlights about 10 feet in front of me while driving down a trail.

Keep checking our website for more information.

Old 02-08-2001, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was thinking about riding at Windrock tommorow.How would I get a permit during the week?I rode to the parking lot today and got the phone number posted on the sign.Would I be able to get one in the morning?I live about 2 hours away.

Old 02-09-2001, 09:20 AM
Range Rover

The Short Stop market in Down-town Oliver Springs sells permits.

One thing to remember, when you buy a permit from the Windrock ATV Club at the main entrance, a portion of the money is donated back to the club for trail maintenance and facilities improvement. We don't get any money from permits we don't sell.

If you have a large group coming in during the week, let me know and we'll meet you some place to get you all the permits you need.

Old 02-09-2001, 02:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Kevin, you Windrock guys are doing a good job there managing the Coal Creek Land property. We sure appreciate all you are doing (except maybe that Maddog guy - he's trouble). Butch & Kris

Old 02-12-2001, 09:25 AM
Range Rover

Thanks!

We want to make an area that everyone will want to come back to time and time again.

We're having a trash clean-up this weekend. Everyone is welcome to come and work, but a permit is still required to be on the property. We'll work from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM eat lunch (provided by the club and through donations) and then do some riding.

We'll also have a bulldozer working on the a new parking lot and another one on a new trail to so we won't have to ride asphalt to the top of the mountain.

Check our web site for more information.

And about that Mad Dog, we'll keep him on a short leash or take him out and have him "fixed"!

Quick Reply: Going to windrock club ride area 2/24-25