Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

legally riding on the roads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default legally riding on the roads?

is there any way to make a quad street legal? i once did quite a bit of research on any ways to do this, only way i ever figured out was to put an orange reflective triangle on the back and it would be considered street legal in the same ways tractors are. then the other day i was lookin around at a dealership and one of the used quads had a license plate. i asked the guy about it and he said there are ways to do it, he just wasn't sure how.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

pretty sure each state will have different laws about this, some states it may be rather easty to make your quad street legal, while others it may not be possible at all.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah, don't bother replying to this thread, i got forwarded a forum with six pages of people trying(and some succeeding) to make their quads street legal. wasn't really trying to do it, more just wandering if it could be done

Old 05-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

ha sorry but ik up north in lowville/crogan ny area you can ride right threw town as long as you have it insured and a license plate... now that OBAMA got in he is shutting 3/4 of the roads down up there but my friend says that he still rides right threw town on his dvx 400 thats loud as hell and the cops really dont care cause its such a small town...

and im only 15 but i have talked my way outta tickes before cause its not like i was doing 80 down a raod weaving inbetween traffic... just say i came from like right there haha and the trail is right there... just make sure that you know they havent been following you for a while and know where you came from haha

Old 05-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

Quads aren't recongized as a street legal vehicle. But like some said, it could vary on state. Like in my state, it is legal is cross a road or highway on a quad as long as it is Reg and Insured.

Even if you were to throw street tires on it, pair of side views, and some blinkers, they would have the stability issues in some politicians eye.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

In the mid 1980's I licensed one in Missouri but they made me call it a dunebuggie. I got stopped about 60 or 70 times before all the local cops knew that I was legal. I don't know if you could get one licensed today or not.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was in Germany in 2005 and seen many quads rolling through city street and once I seen one going about 70mph down the autobahn. Not sure if the autobahn siting was legal but the riders in town looked like they were meant to be there.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by raptor rippa315
ha sorry but ik up north in lowville/crogan ny area you can ride right threw town as long as you have it insured and a license plate... now that OBAMA got in he is shutting 3/4 of the roads down up there but my friend says that he still rides right threw town on his dvx 400 thats loud as hell and the cops really dont care cause its such a small town...

and im only 15 but i have talked my way outta tickes before cause its not like i was doing 80 down a raod weaving inbetween traffic... just say i came from like right there haha and the trail is right there... just make sure that you know they havent been following you for a while and know where you came from haha

Nice, Im stuck in westchester county NY and just took mine around my block yesterday, and sure enough, damn cops starting yelling at me cause it wasnt registered. I just got it here from Idaho where it was the only thing i would even drive into town or to the bar. No one cared. ...