Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Rock Run PA

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock Run PA

Have a question for anyone ever been here. It looks like the website says no riders under 16 and passangers under 12. But looking through some YouTube vids I see 9 and 10 yr olds riding around? If you have been there and know the rules ( and what they enforce ) please share. Also I have a 10 yr old that is stable on his quad.. but still learning.. Should I take hime here? Or should I look other places?

Thanks

Old 12-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Trailblazer

Took my son at age of 12 in July of 08. He followed me everywhere there on a Honda TRX 90 (even some selected black diamonds!). I wasn't aware of any age restriction at the time, I just signed us in at the fancy registration building. They did ask to see PA registration and insurance cards. We enjoyed our long day trip there, although they do use a confused numerical trail marking system. None the less we will eventually return to Rock Run soon. If your son is into MX try Breezewood Proving Grounds. They are family friendly and have tracks geared for young riders.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Trailblazer
Default Rock Run is kid friendly

I was up there last summer and plan on going back this year.
I went with my 6 yr old daughter, 10 & 12 yr sons and 17 yr old son. We had ATVs and a couple of motocross bikes.

The staff was pretty laid back and friendly.
-i was worried about the lack of spark arrestors on my son's kx65 and kx85 but they didn't even come out and check out equipment.
-they took my word for how many riders and the model/yr of our equipment
-there was a nominal registration charge because we didn't have a PA tag
-my petite 6 yr old daughter rode around on a "too big for her" Yamaha Breeze 150 and no one said anything
-my 10 and 12 yr old sons rode double on the ATV without any hassles.
-the riders seemed to do a good job of policing themselves.
-there were quite a few older guys and couples up there riding those loaded CanAm, Polaris and Arctic Cats. It was a great familly oriented adventure.

-they don't have pottable water
-you can camp there but no facilities
-suggest camping at Prince Galletion (spelling) if you're into camping. It's not too far and they have nice clean facilities, a lake, volleyball, etc.
-RR has a great trail system - well marked, clean and plenty of them!
-the welcome center was really nice. The state has put some money into that place.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Trailblazer

oh yeah. There are plenty of trails, including one I think they call Quarry Rd where big quarry dumps used to traverse. Rock Run is a great place for your son to gain some experience. They also have some progressively harder stuff for him to try.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Sweet... looks like we will be heading there April 3rd..

Old 03-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

Another place to try in PA if you haven't is SSRT. An old railroad bed with plenty of offshoots. Only $15 per year to join. The whole Rock Run thing angers me a little. They used plenty of PA govt grants to open and now charge an arm and a leg. We paid for those grants thru DCNR and should get a little break.
Buck