Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Tennessee: Windrock Fall Ride 16-17 October

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-1999, 07:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Windrock ATV Club's 1999 Fall Ride, shceduled for October 16 and 17 in East Tennessee, looks like lots of fun from information on their website page www.korrnet.org/watvclub

I'd like to hear from riders familiar with the area; what are the riding conditions like, how steep/narrow/twisty/rocky are the trails, any mud, cell phone coverage, etc.

Also, who plans to ride this event?

Tree Farmer

Old 09-07-1999, 06:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey TF!

Let me see if I can answer your questions:

How steep/narrow/twisty/rocky are the trails?
We have a little bit of everything. We're having a couple of different routes for the different riding abilities. These will be everything from gravel/broken pavement roads to tight woods riding. We gennerally start with a 3.5 mile climb gaining 1400 feet. We go up and down some steeper terrain but if you've ridden in mountains it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Most trails are pretty open but occasionaly it gets a little tight. We go over some rocky terrain but nothing I couldn't negotiate on my stock Blaster.

Mud?
Enough to get you dirty but not impassible. If you want it, you can find it. If you don't like it, you can usually get around it. We had a pretty good mud-bog challenge this past Spring with only one ATV able to make it through the mud pit. Take a look at the pictures on our web site.

Cell phone coverage?
You can get cell coverage on top of the ridges but sometimes when you're down in the hollows you can't make a call.

We use FRS and GMRS radios to keep in touch with a Trail Boss and Sweeper for each group. If we have problems, we can get word to the outside world pretty fast.

If you plan on riding with us I can offer a few tips:
1. Take extra gas because there are no fuel stops.
2. Take your lunch because there is no place to stop and buy anything.
3. The weather could be anything at this time of year. Wear layers and be prepared for rain. October is the driest month here, but you never can tell what will happen.
4. If you bring an FRS radio, we'll all be on Channel 2. You're welcome to listen in and alert us to any problems.
5. We'll have first aid kits, but if you have any special medical conditions please bring the items you may need to deal with them.

This should be a great time with a lot of people coming in from different areas of the country. We hope that you'll be able to make it down here and bring some of your friends for a great weekend of riding.

If you have any questions, post them here or email me and I'll try to answer them.

------------------
Kevin Staton

<a href="www.korrnet.org/watvclub">Windrock ATV Club</a>
2000 Magnum 325 4x4

[This message has been edited by kevin_staton (edited 09-07-1999).]

Old 09-08-1999, 01:06 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Kevin, I'm planning on coming on the ride in Oct, and bringing a friend. We've already made reservations at the Hampton Inn in Oak Ridge for friday night. Where is the Kountry Kitchen in relation to the Hampton Inn? I think the Hampton Inn is on the main road (62?) coming off of I-40 out of Knoxville.

Tree Farmer, if you are planning on coming, I suggest you start making your hotel reservations now! It seems like quite a few have already made reservations. We are coming in from East Tn in Kingsport, right near the VA line. We are going to come in early Friday and stay in the Hampton Inn in Oak Ridge. We also made reservations for the Hampton Inn in Caryville where we are going to stay on Saturday night.

I hope to see y'all soon!

------------------
Rob Ervin 99' AC500

Old 09-09-1999, 10:27 AM
Range Rover

Rob,

Windrock ATV Club

Y2K Polaris Magnum 325

[This message has been edited by kevin_staton (edited 09-09-1999).]

Old 09-10-1999, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer

I live in Knoxville, I am new to 4 wheeling and just bought mine. Where exactly is Windrock, I've heard of it but dont know how to get there.