Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Almost spring- who want's to plan a Maine ride?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010 | 05:53 AM
|
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Default Almost spring- who want's to plan a Maine ride?

It's almost spring- I was wondering if anyone want's to plan a day up north on some maine trails - (ehh-emmm troy, kevin, joe....) anyone else.
Haven't figured out what trail yet- maybe a maine local will pick up the thread and suggest one?

I have to plan these day trips in advance- to find a sitter for my two kids

Old 02-28-2010 | 06:09 AM
Trailblazer

I'm in!! Depending on how far you want to travel a day trip might be tough. You may want to consider a weekend if possible. I'm familiar with the western mountains but that's something you can't do in a day. That's a trip where you head up on a Friday night and then come home Sunday afternoon. That gives you a full day plus if you want to ride for a few hours Sunday morning you have that option.

The other thing to consider is in the spring, depending on where you want to go, is trail conditions due to the thaw. Some trails you can't even get on.

Old 02-28-2010 | 06:35 AM
|
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

I'm ok for a weekend trip- sounds fun. I've been wanting to do a weekend atv getaway for a while.
I was looking forward to some muddy trails though

I've only been riding in southern Me a couple of time at the end of last summer.
So I'd have to take your advice if you say it's no good in the spring.

Old 02-28-2010 | 06:48 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by beergut
I'm ok for a weekend trip- sounds fun. I've been wanting to do a weekend atv getaway for a while.
I was looking forward to some muddy trails though

I've only been riding in southern Me a couple of time at the end of last summer.
So I'd have to take your advice if you say it's no good in the spring.
Maybe I worded it the wrong way. In some areas due to the thaw the trails are closed. Legally you can't even ride on them. We would need to check before hand if the trails are open so that we don't drive a long way only to be dissapointed. From here we are looking at 4.5-5 hours travel time.

Old 02-28-2010 | 07:01 AM
|
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

In some areas due to the thaw the trails are closed. Legally you can't even ride on them.
ohh- ok, I get it. There must be a park web site where you can check on the status of the trails?

From here we are looking at 4.5-5 hours travel time
Ha- I've driven 10 - 12 hours in one day just to buy a quad. I don't mind the drive- especially if it's for a weekend of riding.

Old 02-28-2010 | 07:12 AM
Pro Rider

I'm in New Brunswick, So depending on how far north you are wanting to go
I may be able to swing it? I've heard there are some nice trail systems but if it's anything like the trails here in the spring some can get very deep. Might have to go buy some waiters and stock up on approx 7 oil changes worth of oil, hehe.

Old 02-28-2010 | 08:24 AM
|
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

some can get very deep. Might have to go buy some waiters and stock up on approx 7 oil changes worth of oil, hehe.
I don't mind mud & maybe 36" deep water- but I'm not looking to snorkel my popo

Old 02-28-2010 | 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

Im in guys! just let me know when, i looked up JackmanTrails on youtube and google, and i talked to someone at work that snowmobile rides out there, it takes about 6 hrs to get there but theres about 300 miles of trails and motels and you can even ride on some of the roads to gas up and eat,,check it out in Jackman Maine. oh ya,and if you have your passport, ins, liscense,you can cross over to Canada,kewl!

Old 02-28-2010 | 09:39 AM
|
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Hey sageboy-
Those trails you are talking about up north- could a guy on an 04 250 ozark keep up? it's not a 4wd atv, but I know he's been really wanting to come out with us on the trails. I always recommended he sit out the long rides, but I feel bad because he keeps asking to come along! He can't afford to buy a 4x4-

Old 02-28-2010 | 03:22 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by beergut
Hey sageboy-
Those trails you are talking about up north- could a guy on an 04 250 ozark keep up? it's not a 4wd atv, but I know he's been really wanting to come out with us on the trails. I always recommended he sit out the long rides, but I feel bad because he keeps asking to come along! He can't afford to buy a 4x4-
There are very few areas where 4x4 is needed that I have come accross in the Jackman area and to be honest I think I have been on most of them if not all. There is one section that comes to mind when taking the trail towards Canada that might be tough but I think it could be done. There is a stretch of trail where there is water and the bottom is mostly hard but there are pieces of it that could be a challenge. To avoid that you just do go that direction and there is only one trail heading towards Canada.

To answer your question I would say he could keep up as the rest of the crew don't mind taking it easy...which is fine with me.

Most of trails in the Jackman area are easy riding. If you are looking for challenging trails this is not the area to go. These trails are great for people who want to ride with families and like scenery and remoteness. There is not much around.

Quick Reply: Almost spring- who want's to plan a Maine ride?