Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Georgia

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-1999, 04:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after reading SCman's post on how he, and his 'group', plan to head to ga. for the fall, thought i might tell everyone about a system of trails up north of atlanta and marietta off the RedTop Exit on I-75.

there's aleast a full day for riding, if not more here. there are many differnt types of terrain throughout the trails. the 'end' so to speak has great river and creek crossings(not really a crossing, more like an extending riding), and other parts have great just plain mud hills and steep hills that require good speed to get up, and many hills need 4x4 to climb. good part is that the parts that need 4x4 aren't necessary to riding the trail, so you can pick and choose how hard you want your trip to b. other parts have just great trail running up and down the mountains, plenty of mud bogs if that's your thing, though most deep mud bogs have a 'run-around' for those that went in nice clothes and didn't want to get real dirty.(like i did)

there are two tunnels that i know of that you need to go through... one travels back under i-75, and the other is almost a network of tunnels running under a railroad track.

word to the wise, try and find someone that's been there before. getting lost is a posiablity,(or atleast for me), and someone that's been there before will know the best areas to play in.

Does anyone else know of anymore trails around that area, or had an experience on this particular one?

highly recommend driving out of your way for this one.

-brian.

Old 12-03-1999, 01:38 AM
Range Rover

Thanks Brian!! I will definitely tell the 'group' about the trails. Pretty good bet we'll check em out soon.

Can you give some specifics on the directions? Which exit number is the Red Top Exit, or is it called that on the sign? Would that be 75N? Any landmarks or road names would be great. Where to park/stage?

[This message has been edited by SCman (edited 12-02-1999).]

Old 12-03-1999, 03:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

yeah, my really great trail experience is somewhat limited, but i always thought this was an interesting place to ride around...sometimes it can get pretty wet., but not like bad wet.

about specifics... go north on 75, get off the exit that says RedTop on it, think it's 123. take a left from the exit, go over the bridge and go for about .1 miles and you'll see a dirt area on the left.(technically it's the second dirt area right before the road dead ends onto another one 200 feet after if u don't turn.) some people park there. though i like to drive my truck up this dirt road you'll see on the right. it's about 20 feet from the paved road.

i've heard of people getting parking tickets if they park if they park on the little area next to the road.(don't know if this is true).

the area where i park my car isn't exactly an official place, though everyone does it w/o problem... these trails aren't necessarly offical, but they are as close as you can get to that.

to find where the trail begins is slightly trick... you need to ride toward the interstate(down the dirt road i told u i park on), and get to the powerlines... go south in the powerline area for about .2 miles, and the trail beginning from this point is on the right, you should be able to find ok.

if you print all this, it should make more since when u get there.

-brian.