ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Where to Ride (https://atvconnection.com/forums/where-ride/)
-   -   N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch (https://atvconnection.com/forums/where-ride/375865-n-michigan-st-helen-mio-rose-city-west-brabch.html)

Big Frank 11-22-2018 07:31 PM

My blade is nowhere near that heavy. I can pick it up and move it but just inches at a time. It doesn't have enough down force to scrape down to bare concrete. Before I plow I have to pull my truck out of the driveway. When I'm done plowing part of my tire tracks will still be there along with a layer of snow no thicker than that covering most of the driveway. If it snows again the next day my tracks will be thicker yet after I pull out again. It still works good enough but if I plow my sidewalk I usually go over it with an old steel shovel that's shaped like a plow. I can scrape my ATV tire tracks off with it.

4-tracker 11-22-2018 08:40 PM

I know what my problem is going to be lol i'll be soooo excited!! when the first big snow comes, and so impatient, I'll find myself rushing out, after hearing weather report, anxiously watching every snow flak fall, while sitting on the quad with it running, then after seeing a few inches on ground, jump on the snow plowing way too soon! churning up the gravel in the snow with the deep aggressive treads on the heavy KQ 750. Then when I go back to finish the job after the snow stops, i'll be pushing gravel into yard! I'm my own worst enemy lol If I just had a place off to the side of the driveway to store the snow piles, then after the melt I could easily recoup the gravel, but no got! You know how hard it is to try to rake gravel out of the grass in the spring....its no fun, and you can never get it all! I bet there's more gravel in my yard near drive than in driveway! lol After this happens just once! I'll get so upset with myself, I'll be selling this plow for scrap iron lol Still got my trusty snow blower w/ new skies! I don't know why I let the Suzuki dealer talk me into something I really don't need, but still like a kid with a new toy, can't wait to play with it lol

Big Frank 11-23-2018 12:17 AM

While I'm plowing this winter you'll be out skiing. With your snow blower. :) If you had bigger skis and put them on the plow I think you'd be okay.

Kymco 450i 11-23-2018 09:57 AM

Don't push the snow into the yard, just to the edge of the drive! If you get deep drifts, use your blower to throw the snow further away then finnish with the blade on your atv. Your KQ is not heavy even though it might seem that way after your sport quad. My machine weighs in over 1200 lbs plus plow blade! The extra weight helps to keep traction where lite weight machines spin there tires ad dig into the gravel...this is a problem when using 2wd machines on gravel. Use 4wd when ever plowing, I mostly use diff lock when going straight to prevent tire spin.

4-tracker 11-23-2018 04:11 PM

What i'm going to do, and forgot to mention, is to help neighbors with their lots and get use to all the tricks, then after helping them i'll come home and do mine lol All the neighbors help out ea other real well, throughout the year, for different things, but now i'm the only one with a plow, so i'll be getting a lot of practice, i figure. I'll make sure I keep it in 4 wheel drive, as well! thanks

Kymco 450i 11-23-2018 04:44 PM

Good idea to practice on neighbors drives. By the time you get it all figured out, you can then do your own deive. If your drive is small, figuring out a pattern to plow so the snow piles get where you want them is half the battle! My main drive is a little over 200 ft long x 2 cars wide then another 150 ft x 2 cars wide back to the barn. Plenty of places to stack snow...yep..tried shoveling it once with my two sons...next day I bought a 4wheeler with a blade!

4-tracker 11-23-2018 05:33 PM

You lucky farmers lol If I lived way out like that, I would go nuts piling up rocks, trees, garbage anything I could find to create a mountain to play on and open up another Bundy Hill, right in my very own back yard! Damned old glaciers leaving us flat, not fair lol That's why I get so geeked when getting back up north, first of spring after being grounded all winter!!! Keep that motor home on the ready lol

Kymco 450i 11-23-2018 06:20 PM

She is in bed for the winter, but come spring she will be back on the road. Haven't been able to go for 2 summers now so hafta make it up this comning summer.

Big Frank 11-23-2018 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i (Post 3407858)
Good idea to practice on neighbors drives. By the time you get it all figured out, you can then do your own deive. If your drive is small, figuring out a pattern to plow so the snow piles get where you want them is half the battle! My main drive is a little over 200 ft long x 2 cars wide then another 150 ft x 2 cars wide back to the barn. Plenty of places to stack snow...yep..tried shoveling it once with my two sons...next day I bought a 4wheeler with a blade!

If my driveway was that long I'd probably plow it the same way I plowed my street several times. I angled the blade all the way to the right and started in the middle of the street, plowed my way to the end of the block, turned around and plowed to the right of the path I made until I got to the other street corner, and repeated that over and over until I was done with the whole block.

One time several years ago when we had a really bad snowstorm I plowed my street. It was after one of the storms that shut down everything in Detroit for 2 weeks. We got hit here too and it took the city a whole week to get around to plowing my street. The people in the rich neighborhood nearby got plowed out as soon as the main streets were done. Anyway, that time I put it in 4x4 Low as usual, but went as fast I could just to keep moving. My rear rack capacity is 180 pounds, and 3 sandbags weighing 60 pounds each on the rack helped with traction, but the rear end still kicked out when I went too far over and "bit off more than I could chew". Everyone on this block of my street could get out to one of the main roads that was plowed, and a week later the plow trucks finally came by. Better late than never, but they got closer to the curbs than I did.

I used to plow the sidewalks on both sides of the street from corner to corner too, until the A-hole next door called the cops on me and they showed up at my house one day. They said they got a complaint that I was flying up and down the street at a high rate of speed. He was the only person who didn't like me so I know it was him. I pointed out my tracks to the cop who saw that the only tracks outside of my driveway were where I backed into the street to plow the very end of the driveway. After I talked to the cop, who could plainly see that no one had even gone down the street once on an ATV, they sat there and watched until I was done and parked my quad. Then when they left I flew up and down the street at a high rate of speed. JK. So I quit plowing all of my neighbors sidewalks up and down the block. I did it year after year free of charge even though none of them ever thanked me except for one person, one time. And it only took one A-hole to ruin it for everyone. He made several false police reports against me but never got in any trouble for it.

4-tracker 11-24-2018 05:17 AM

I know I'm going to get in trouble too! I'll be so crazy waiting for that first BIG snow, I'll loose my mind, but we have great neighbors and I'll need to be quick out plowing, since my buddy down the street will do the neighborhood on his Can-Am 1000, if anyone needs a plow. Cops can be trouble here too, unless there's a good snow plowing excuse, and they do threaten to impound, and there are a few cops here in Taylor that would do just that! They've actually driven up into the grassy, well kept lot next to my house, chasing my grandson at a good clip, after seeing him, where he was just going around our house for a quick test on a new quad, but by the time the idiot cop got around to the back of the property, grandson was safely back in our driveway (smart kid) where I'm sure the cop was pissed knowing he got away! Too many kids spoil it for the rest of us by ridding the hood racing ea. other, teasing the police, then as soon as the cops see anything, that remotely looks like an atv their on it!! But drugs have been sold for years just down the street with all the neighbors reporting all the traffic out in front of the house, and they avoid doing anything about it! Still I'd rather have police around driving the neighborhood, than like in many cities where their never around when you need them, especially in case of a real emergency!
I'll try your method of turning plow to the right, working from center of st out to curb. Cant wait!!

Kymco 450i 11-24-2018 09:27 AM

You are describing the reasons I dont live in a city! Once I got married and started looking at homes the wife and I decided to be rural folks. So glad...cheaper to live in the country and far fewer hasles. Sherriff is friendly neighbors are far enough away, yet close enough if needed. I don't understand why people like city life.....just me I guess

Big Frank 11-24-2018 06:31 PM

Before the idiot started calling the cops on me, sometimes I rode over to my ex's grandmother and mother's house to plow them out. And sometimes their neighbors too. It was only 1/2 mile away and I never had a problem any of the times I did it. And I'm glad I didn't see any cops when I pulled one of my neighbors around on a toboggan. Then he pulled me around the neighborhood on it. There was some fishtailing involved which is almost to much fun. :D Luckily there were no panic stops since toboggans don't have brakes.

When I plow my driveway I have to do it a completely different way from plowing the street. The houses in my neighborhood are too close together and it's just my house, my driveway and my neighbors' driveway, and their house side by side. Neighbors right up your A as some people might say. Snow-blowing sucked because I had to blow the snow up or down the driveway past my house, then when it was packed down in a pile I had to blow it into my yard. With my plow I do a section at a time. I start near the back of the house and push the snow back to the fence, then I back up to the front of the house and plow, then back by the sidewalk, and finally back into the road to plow from the curb. I don't have side shields on this plow and the snow rolls off the sides, so I have to go over it a bunch of times. I didn't even plow my driveway the last 3 (?) winters. There wasn't that much snow and I have 4WD.

Kymco 450i 11-24-2018 06:43 PM

I hear ya on very little snow last year. I don't normally plow,unless we have a couple inches at least. Sometimes I plow just for drifts. I do use the small snowblower for the walkways just to make walking safer. Looking forward to a good snow year so we have something to play in. Since I added the enclosure and heater I really look forward to plowing!

4-tracker 11-24-2018 07:13 PM

Lets think positive here, I'm hoping on a couple big snow falls this season, especially now that I've got this never before tried out quad/plow setup! I'm hoping with all this early winter moisture so far, and also once the temps drop a little, that might create quite a lot of snow!

Kymco 450i 11-24-2018 09:04 PM

Hell, I am rooting for ya, I know how much fun it can be! Hopefully it comes my way also!!

Big Frank 11-25-2018 12:02 AM

It's 1:00 AM and 42-43 degrees, but that will change soon enough. Sunday it's supposed to rain then snow from night into morning, 100% chance of snow with 1-3 inches accumulation. And it's going to be below freezing Tuesday. I don't have my ATV back from the dealer so I can't plow.

4-tracker 11-25-2018 05:42 AM

Just watched ch 4 weather and no snow for se mi. The cities n of here + 4'' but nothing else expected for the next week! Its coming soon!! Get ready!! Ordered a second set of heater grips from China for $4 made real well! That turn off w/ ignition switch. Gonna keep my mitts warm lol

Big Frank 11-26-2018 12:16 AM

It wasn't long after I posted that yesterday that they changed the forecast from 1-3 inches of snow to 3-5 inches. Then they changed it again. Now they're saying 5-8 inches of wet heavy snow, with peak snowfall rates of about 1 inch per hour and 25-30 MPH gusts. It's already raining and the temperature is dropping. There's a Winter Storm Warning in effect until 3:00 PM and they're saying if you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency. I must not travel, so I'm cancelling my doctor's appointment and staying home all week, or until my ATV is ready. I don't know whether I should put my trash out Monday night/Tuesday morning or not. I highly doubt they'll be picking up trash on Monday, and will most likely be a day late all week. And if the mailman/woman gets mad because I didn't shovel my sidewalk, well, that's okay with me.

4-tracker 11-26-2018 08:48 AM

Don't laugh I always wake up right at 4 am every morning, but this morning, I watched ch 2 weather, of all this expected accumulating snow on its way, and it sorta knocked me out i guess, and when I woke up from my short snooze at 8:40, I glanced out through the window and saw thick snow coming down sideways, yet heard the rain so heavy and hard coming down on the flat roof here on the back porch, with the wind driving it, and then I remembered I had dreamed while napping, that my wife was outside tending our fireplace (remember this is my dream while this was happening, we have no fireplace out by our driveway outside lol) and I was sitting by the fire looking around near the sidewalk seeing a couple of inches on the ground telling my wife its getting at a point where I might need to start plowing! lol Now does that tell ya how badly i'm looking forward to plowing for my first time/?!? Its almost more thrilling I guess for me, than when i was a kid thinking about xmas eve night, anxiously waiting to open expected toys! Aren't adults supposed to grow out of these silly/crazy/excited, kid like feeling's? I guess I never will! lol LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW!!

Kymco 450i 11-26-2018 04:14 PM

I hear ya!! My mind is 16 yrs old but my body is.....well..a lot older!!

4-tracker 11-26-2018 05:33 PM

Surprise for the Holiday!! My son, daughter in law and my grandson arrived for the long Holiday weekend, from Seattle! I had the new sxs hidden behind the fence gates, awaiting their arrival. After visiting with them for awhile, I asked grandson (17 yr old) to open the gate, and what a great surprised look on his face, which gave me just as much a thrill, maybe even more! lol He jumped up on it, and off he went, with this super grin, ear to ear! It hurts so much, not being able to be a part of their lives, all year long, but for just those few moments, seeing the thrill on his face, almost makes up for all that lost time, all year long! ''ALMOST''!! Damned frig-gen 180, life directions sometimes!!!!!!!! I bought him a mini bike a few yrs ago, but he's already outgrown it, and is ready for more big boy things! I told him if he lived out here, we would be riding all the time! lol

Big Frank 11-26-2018 06:29 PM

I can picture you looking out the window at the snow, jumping up and down saying oh boy oh boy oh boy. :) Just because we grow old doesn't mean we have to grow up. :thumbsup: I used to like plowing because it gave me a reason to saddle up the old steed, but now it just means I have to go outside when I'd rather not. The storm looks like it dumped 1/2 of the snow they predicted or a little more. The only shoveling I did was the back steps and my trailer. There were only a few inches of snow on my truck when I finally went out before dark to sweep it off with a soft-bristle push broom. It was slushy underneath the snow in my driveway but freezing again by then. It's the kind of crap my snowblower could never handle.

Kymco 450i 11-26-2018 07:19 PM

Amazing how the forecast is always for twice as much as we actually get! It seems like a competition to see who can predict a higher amount. They act like a little snow is a blizzard nowadays. We only received a little over a quarter inch and you would have thought Armageddon was upon us!

Big Frank 11-27-2018 03:18 AM

LOL. Either that or they say it will completely miss us and we get hammered. It must be nice to have a job where you can always be wrong and not get fired. And when did they start giving winter storms names like they do with tropical storms and hurricanes? This one was called Bruce and it was the first time I heard the name of one. Any other time it was just a storm or blizzard. The great blizzard of -- (city and/or year).

4-tracker 11-27-2018 05:23 AM

Huge winter storms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My prediction for this winter!

Its going to snow! Its going to snow! Its going to snow! Its going to snow! Its going to snow! Its going to snow!

BIG! HUGE! MONSTER!

2018 STORMS https://atvconnection.com/forums/ima...ons/icon14.gif :go crazy:

Kymco 450i 11-27-2018 10:35 AM

Better whoa up there on your want for snowstorms buddy...your plow wont handle 18" of snow! Hope for three storms of 6" each!!

4-tracker 11-27-2018 01:14 PM

I've got this little neighborhood insurance business next to me on our corner, and We have helped one another out whenever there's been deep snow, but this year I'm hoping on giving him an early Xmas gift/surprise (if we get any snow before then) by plowing his lot and walks. He has always paid the plow guys in the past, so i'm sure he will appreciate the help, and will also give me some extra practice/experience!
You think I might need chains? sandbags?

Kymco 450i 11-27-2018 02:21 PM

Couple sandbags wont hurt, when I had my quad, I always had a couple sandbags strapped on the rear rack. Weight is your friend when plowing snow! With the weight of my UTV they are not needed....if that ever is needed, I will just have my grandson sit in he back!! Lol... ..

Big Frank 11-27-2018 05:15 PM

I ordered a set of chains but I don't remember where I got them from. Probably the sportsman's guide catalog. The instructions said not to go over 15 MPH with them on. If it said that in the ad I wouldn't have ordered them, but I sent them back without using them. I didn't want to put them on to plow and take them back off when I went for a ride, off and on over and over. I've never had chains on any kind of vehicle I've ever owned. If you have a heavy plow on a fairly light ATV it will lighten up the back end so much when you raise the plow that may lose traction. It's happened to me with a heavy Sportsman and neither one of my plows was very big. My old plow was 50" plus the side shields that added some weight and my new plow is 52". The sandbags really help you get more traction, and you don't want to spin your wheels on gravel. I started with 3 bags but when one got a hole in it after being used for several years I just used the other 2 bags. That's still 120 pounds and it worked well for me.

4-tracker 11-27-2018 06:40 PM

I've got so many stupid questions and here comes another one, from this wanna-be country, city slicker lol Where in the world do you find burlap bags to make sand bags, or does any place sell sand bags? I see East coasters filling em during the flooding seasons on the news, but never in a million years did I think I would ever have a need for em. I want to be so ''almost ready'', by the time ole man winter shows up. I too have only used chains once, going through the Wa. State mountain passes, and it was good I had them because as we were leaving out of the state heading into Oregon the pass was suddenly closed and only vehicles w/ chains could pass! They worked great and by the time we got into California we had the chains off and convertible top down into the 70's within a few hrs later! Then late that night we drove through LA during the worst flooding that night! LA has ever seen, houses were sliding down the sides of hills! Then still drove on towards Phenom to get out of the flooding rain, and finally out of exhaustion pulled off highway, waking up next morning, finding ourselves out in the desert of Palm Springs, dry as a bone, and bright sun! What an experience all in one day, and all started out with them bad luck, crazy chains!! Never used any since! lol

Kymco 450i 11-27-2018 07:03 PM

I just bought mine from local big box store, "sand tubes" for plow truck drivers and some like to add them to the trunk of there car. I think they were less than 3-4 dollars each. Weighed around 60-70 lbs each. Or just get yourself a big Tupperware tub and add your own sand and strap it on, empty out at the end of the year or store it for future use. My sand tubes lasted for about 10 years before the bags (tubes) developed holes in them. Never would mess around with chains, if they were needed I would just stud an older set of tires for ice use only.

4-tracker 11-27-2018 07:09 PM

That's a great idea w/ rubber tubs, plus I wouldn't need to buy sand, since I could fill them with dirt, also there won't be those smelly mildewed sacks, dry rotting out there all year! I'll fill up a couple of them tomorrow before the ground starts freezing

4-tracker 11-27-2018 07:12 PM

You know I already have those cases already bolted down on the rear racks, so I'll fill them up with water or dirt or both so to pack the weight in and air out

Big Frank 11-27-2018 07:58 PM

I bought Quikrete Tube Sand. You can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot for 5 bucks and get 3 cents change. Or go to Tractor Supply Company if you want to spend over 80 cents more. If you want sand bags to fill yourself, army surplus stores sometimes have them.

https://www.quikrete.com/productlines/sandtubesand.asp

4-tracker 11-27-2018 09:04 PM

Thanks, but I think I'll go with the heavy duty cases for weights, since there already bolted down on the rear racks, and should hold the equivalent of (thinking it should hold 2 - 80# concrete bags in comparison) equaling 160#'s. I guess I could even use the concrete as well as sand, price wise, then pour them into plastic bags inside cases. After winter I could lift them out and store for next yr. Plus if I needed to adjust the weight I could add or remove as much as needed. You think that should hold her down enough for hard plowing w/ KQ 750, with 26x11-12 tires, without chains?
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconn...d615f3ab85.jpg

Big Frank 11-27-2018 09:47 PM

That's plenty of weight IMO. I just stacked my tube sand in the corner of my shed when I was done with it. My shed is sitting on the corner of the driveway using it as a floor instead of the floor being raised up off the ground. Even with rain running into the shed the rest of the year, the bags didn't rot out because they're woven plastic with another bag of solid plastic inside it, and not burlap. I may have one left of the three I bought about 20 years ago. They last a long time anyway. Even if you spend $10 on 2 bags and they only last for 10 years you're still only spending a dollar a year on them. When I drove a van I put tube sand in the back of it too. They fit nicely against the side wall behind the wheel wells of vans and trucks. If my truck wasn't 4WD I'd put 5 or 6 bags in the very back with a 2x4 going across to keep them there. If you use anything with water in it for weight don't forget it expands when it freezes, 11% I think. It's enough to make metal burst.

YamahaMoto 11-28-2018 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by 4-tracker (Post 3408113)
I've got so many stupid questions and here comes another one, from this wanna-be country, city slicker lol Where in the world do you find burlap bags to make sand bags, or does any place sell sand bags? I see East coasters filling em during the flooding seasons on the news, but never in a million years did I think I would ever have a need for em. I want to be so ''almost ready'', by the time ole man winter shows up. I too have only used chains once, going through the Wa. State mountain passes, and it was good I had them because as we were leaving out of the state heading into Oregon the pass was suddenly closed and only vehicles w/ chains could pass! They worked great and by the time we got into California we had the chains off and convertible top down into the 70's within a few hrs later! Then late that night we drove through LA during the worst flooding that night! LA has ever seen, houses were sliding down the sides of hills! Then still drove on towards Phenom to get out of the flooding rain, and finally out of exhaustion pulled off highway, waking up next morning, finding ourselves out in the desert of Palm Springs, dry as a bone, and bright sun! What an experience all in one day, and all started out with them bad luck, crazy chains!! Never used any since! lol

A number of different hardware stores and tool stores sell them. My brother just got a number of 75lb bags for about 80 cents a piece. youc ould stop by a local wardware store and see what they got.

4-tracker 11-28-2018 08:47 AM

Thanks, but I think I'll go with the heavy duty cases for weights, since there already bolted down on the rear racks, and should hold the equivalent of (thinking it should hold 2 - 80# concrete bags in comparison) equaling 160#'s. I guess I could even use the concrete as well as sand, price wise, then pour them into plastic bags inside cases. After winter I could lift them out and store for next yr. Plus if I needed to adjust the weight I could add or remove as much as needed. You think that should hold her down enough for hard plowing w/ KQ 750, and with 26x11-12 tires, without chains?

YamahaMoto 11-28-2018 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by 4-tracker (Post 3408148)
Thanks, but I think I'll go with the heavy duty cases for weights, since there already bolted down on the rear racks, and should hold the equivalent of (thinking it should hold 2 - 80# concrete bags in comparison) equaling 160#'s. I guess I could even use the concrete as well as sand, price wise, then pour them into plastic bags inside cases. After winter I could lift them out and store for next yr. Plus if I needed to adjust the weight I could add or remove as much as needed. You think that should hold her down enough for hard plowing w/ KQ 750, and with 26x11-12 tires, without chains?

I mean you need quite a bit of wieght. If u think about it putting 200lbs in the back is just the same a a guy sitting in the back. Its not a ton of weight. The more you throw in the better but it should do ok

Kymco 450i 11-28-2018 10:17 AM

Been plowing snow with an atv since 2000 on all types of drives...never needed chains! You do need to keep on top of the snow and not let it get real deep. Keep in mind the weight of your machine and how much snow you can move. If you get a snow pile 2ft deep your not gonna push it with your atv unless it is lite powder! Heavy wet snow probably a foot max unless you just use the corner of your blade and take small passes. It will take a few times and you will figure it out!!