ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Where to Ride (https://atvconnection.com/forums/where-ride/)
-   -   Don't ride alone!! Very unsafe! Read here (https://atvconnection.com/forums/where-ride/377893-dont-ride-alone-very-unsafe-read-here.html)

Specta 01-27-2019 03:24 PM

No new snow here and none in the forecast. :(

Big Frank 01-27-2019 09:44 PM

We got maybe 1/2" of snow last night but most of it was melted off my truck before I went to the store. It took hours to get my crazy mom ready and take her to buy 3 things. They're still saying there's a 100% chance of snow Monday. WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM MONDAY TO MIDNIGHT EST MONDAY NIGHT. Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulation of 6 to 9 inches along with significant blowing and drifting. Midland, Bay, Huron, Saginaw, Tuscola, Sanilac, Shiawassee, Genesee and Lapeer counties.

I took a look at my cold weather gear and my leather mittens are stiff. I didn't know why until I read the label. I actually bought the cheap cowhide mittens from Sportsman's Guide instead of deerskin. I should buy some neatsfoot oil to rub into them. I'll probably just wear my thin ski gloves and liners. I got my rat hat out of storage last night. It's muskrat fur like the hats in this link except the cloth part is a tan color polyester/cotton blend and so are the ties. The inside is quilted and when I pull the ear flaps down the back of it folds down a couple of inches too. This company in Winnipeg, Manitoba made it, and they know a thing or two about cold weather up there. If muskrat fur is good enough for the Mounties, it's good enough for me too. I'll wear my turtlefur neckwarmer and goggles too if I have to when I plow.

https://crowncap.com/shop/muskrat-yukon-with-melton/

4-tracker 01-28-2019 06:21 AM

It looks like your getting the most snow for our Mi. area north of Wayne county, possibly up to 8''! Our poor little buddy south of Mi. boarder will be getting all rain, which seems impossible considering how cold it is around this neck of the woods. The good news for us is that with the 4'' on the ground and with the added 4''+ expected today will give us enough snow to play in around the neighborhood, and possible out at a woods/trails play area out near the airport, 3 miles from here, and snow will be sticking around for at least a week! The snow is starting to come down now, and expected to start really dumping by 8:30!

Specta 01-28-2019 08:48 AM

I just bought a couple of these emergency sleeping bags. One for my ATV and one for my truck.

4-tracker 01-28-2019 12:08 PM

Kymco 450i your getting snow!! what happened?

Kymco 450i 01-28-2019 12:18 PM

Not really it is more ice rain than snow. Temp is now 31...soon be all rain....this sucks!.....new weather forcast says sunday will be 48 degrees so play while you can...

4-tracker 01-28-2019 03:32 PM

I'M PLAYING....I'M PLAYING LOL I'll send some video later, after making more this evening! Sorry going back out....see ya later!!

Kymco 450i 01-28-2019 05:27 PM

Hell yes dont let me hold you back..Just rain here, starting to melt everything! After 3 days of artic cold, sunday is to reach almost 50 degrees! There goes the iced over lakes and rivers. Know I see that mother nature is really puffing on all the weed that you folks made legal....no telling what are wearher will be from no on! Our weather will be under weed control!!

4-tracker 01-28-2019 06:00 PM

Just started raining here a few min ago! I went out earlier today and used a roof rake pulling off the 8'' of snow on all the buildings, keeping the snow from soaking up moisture and then freezing rock hard, that could last for a week or more, which would weigh 4 times as much asthe lite fluffy snow that was up there, and could be heavy enough to take down roofs, trees, power lines, and in morning I'm sure we won't be able to open vehicle doors......rubber seals frozen solid!

Big Frank 01-28-2019 09:22 PM

I have enough manual dexterity with my mittens on to sweep the snow off my truck and ATV with a push-broom. Once I did that and shoveled the back porch and steps I switched to gloves so I could feel what I was doing. It was around that time that I had to take my neck-warmer off too. I was too hot with it on. One of my neighbors who I never met before came over while I was plowing and said he'd pay me to plow his driveway too. He gave me 10 bucks before I even started. I think he was happy with the job I did, and I was satisfied with it. I've plowed a lot of snow in my neighborhood over the years, tons of it by my estimation, but I don't think I've ever been paid before. That money is going toward a new battery. I had to pull start it today and that's not good for my arthritis. Plowing was kind of fun because I got to ride my ATV, even if it was mostly back and forth without turning around. And I stayed warm doing it. When I was done I made sure to turn my jacket inside out as I took it off. It was soaked with sweat bad enough I see light shining on it. It's actually thin and lightweight but whatever Columbia Sportswear made it from kept me toasty warm. So did the rat hat. My ears didn't get cold like they do when I wear any other hat. It snowed more in the last couple of hours, but barely. One part of my snow pile is just a few inches shy of 4' high. I didn't even have a snow pile the last few winters.