Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Road Riding in Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2001, 12:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what's the official story on riding your ATV along the roads in Michigan?

I'm planning a trip to the eastern UP next month and keep hearing about certain places where you can ride along the edge of county roads legally. Is it just certain townships that allow it, or is it a county-wide thing? Also, does anyone know of any areas in the lower peninsula that allow the same? (ie. the Mio/Atlanta area, etc.).

Thanks!!!

Old 05-07-2001, 05:29 PM
Trailblazer

I believe that road riding depends on which County you are in. I know that in certain counties you are allowed to travel on unpaved county roads and on the shoulder of paved county roads.

Old 05-10-2001, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer

Dickinson and Menominee county will allow you to run on the shoulder of any county road, paved or unpaved. However, any state highway is definitely off limits. Call the chamber of commerce or the DNR of the county you plan to ride. We have had no prblems with the CO'S in this area riding the shoulder of the road going to the next trail. Never have been stopped. Just dont drive like a lunitic, and try to keep all tires off the pavement. Sometimes this isnt possible but try to avoid the pavement.
2001 Polaris Sprtsman 500 HO
Come ride the "HO TRAIN"
Charter member of "The HO TRAIN"
jigginjack (dont forget your orv sticker,$16.25)

Old 05-12-2001, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

Do us all a favor and don't ride on the road in the UP or LP without first checking with the authorities. Some Counties in the UP will allow you to ride on the right of way. Don't try that in the Lower Peninsula. The newly orginized club of MATVA, is working hard at getting more riding area for you. Don't make the big mistake of riding some place you're not supposed to. We need your help, you need areas to ride. Have fun ATVing...
Chuck

Old 05-12-2001, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

Isn't Ecorse "below da bridge". I understand nothing is allowed down there and people wait in line for hours for the chance to ride a quad at Silver Lake. ;(

I undertand that there is also some county road riding allowed over in the Hibbert and Newberry area. But like you said it is best to check with local authorities.

Old 05-13-2001, 07:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Certain counties in lower Mi permit riding the right shoulder of some forest roads.You must check local city/county ordinances first.

In the UP of Mich,allmost all forest roads are open to ATV use unless posted closed.Up until 1991,the LP of Mi used to have forest roads for us to ride to.Currently,MATVA [Mich All Terrain Vehicle Assoc] is working on that for us.
Bill

Old 05-13-2001, 01:15 PM
Trailblazer

Bill,
Does the MATVA have a website or e-mail address for contact yet. I'm glad we have people stepping up to the plate to represent ATVer's. We desperately need it!!! I didn't realize what a bias against us there was against ATV's until we got ours. I wonder if it has something to do with the original ATV's being primarily sport bikes. Anyway, if you know of a way to contact them I'd appreciate if you'd pass it along!

Old 05-13-2001, 04:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

oneeyesquare,
yes MATVA can be reached at matva@miatvassoc.com or calling Richard Rondeau at 313-565-3818 you can fax him as well at 313 565-9310.

Power is strong in numbers,and that is what we need if our sport is to survive in Michigan.
Bill

Old 05-14-2001, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, Ecorse is, as you say, "BELOW DA BRIDGE"...
There are trails in Lower Michigan, that would dwarf most other States trails systems. I would guess, half of the people riding Silver Lake, are not from Michigan. I've riden most of the trails in Lower and I have no desire to ever ride Silver Lake but you are welcome to go there.
Chuck

Old 05-14-2001, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

donavan

We are heading up to Drummond Island in the UP in June. Since we were taking the atvs, we called the local dnr officer on the island. He told us that the local community had passed an ordinance allowing atv use on the side of the roads. This does not apply to the state routes though. Since our rental cottage is on the state route, we may have to trailer them to a riding area. It is best to call the local dnr or chamber of commerence and ask about the local ordinances. Hope this helps.