Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Who's been to St.Joe's State Park in Missouri?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2001, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking about taking my son there to do some trail riding,how is it? Any info will be appreciated.

Old 05-22-2001, 12:55 AM
Range Rover

I have never been there myself but, i know some of the members of the Yahoo club "MidwestATV" have been riding there if that helps you out..

Old 05-22-2001, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

The park is located in Parkhills, MO and is about 60 miles from St. Louis. From St. Louis you would take 55 south to 67 south then 32 west and follow the signs.

The park is about 1800 acres comprised mostly of chat which is a post-product of lead mining. It looks, feels and tastes like sand to me. The sand area is large, wide open and mostly flat. You have to look out for sandraggers just out of the staging area.

There are alot of hilly trails. I don't know how many miles of trails there are but there are alot. Some of the trails are very trecherous, full skid plates are advised for quads. I would bring some fix-a-flat and/or plugs for there are many sharps rocks.

There is a camping area that has a trail leading to main riding area. Four clean ponds where you can fish (electric motors only). Two of the lakes have nice sandy beaches where you can swim after a long hot ride. There are two concrete ramps for loading and unloading your machines in the main staging area. There are two hold your breath stinking out-houses (go pee in the woods), and two well water spickets. There are three large pavilions and several picnic tables a few of them with roofs closer to the swimming area. It costs $2 per machine to enter. Quads must have a flag, the park sells them ($10 I think). All riders must have helmets. No booze in the park, they don't do cooler checks. No riding double.

Its a good time. I go there just about every weekend. In all it's a good clean kept up place to ride. Have fun

Jay

Old 05-22-2001, 02:39 AM
Trailblazer

I go there almost every chance i get to go riding. Can"t beat it for $2.00. Campsites are nice to but cost a little more.

Old 05-22-2001, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for your informative replys.Sounds like a great place.Just hope it's not to dangerous for my 8 year old son.Do you see any youngsters that age riding there?

Old 05-22-2001, 09:53 PM
Range Rover

Hey Farmking, I useto ride there alot years ago, and me and a few buddies will probably go some time next month. Its alot of fun, sand, trails, and some gnarly woods trails. Heres a link.

www.mostateparks.com/stjoe.htm

Good luck, have fun, and play hard!!!!
Danno

Old 05-23-2001, 01:31 PM
Trailblazer

I just got back from another Missouri state park this weekend. I haven't been to the st. joe park yet. But I am sure some of their regulations are the same concerning ages of riders. The rules say children must meet the manufacturers age requirements for the machine they are riding. I don't know what your son is riding, but it would be very dissapointing to get there and find out he couldn't ride. I don't know for sure if they enforce it strictly or not. Might be worth looking in to. Have fun.

Old 05-25-2001, 11:55 AM
Trailblazer

I have seen lots of youngsters riding out there.
In Fact, last timte we were there a boy, I'd say MASYBE 10 years old was riding a Foreman 350 and it had died on him and did not want to downshift to N so we stopped and gave it a rock for him.

He was definitely not within the age requirements on the machine.

We see lots of Father sons teams down there.
I usually help the "Dad" next to us get unloaded and or loaded.

Go ahead and take your son, just stick to the trails on the FAR side of the park opposite of the staging area.
They seem to be smoother.

Best of Luck to you.